Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

TYRE Recall

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  DaytonaNewbie 
#1 ·
Sorry, not a Rocket owner but saw this and wanted to make sure it got posted. I apoligize if this has already been posted.
Bridgestone Recalls Motorcycle Tires

April 03, 2009
Category: North America
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operation is recalling 957 Bridgestone Exedra G850 G motorcycle tires, size 180/70R16 77H, sold as OE on 2008 and 2009 Triumph Rocket III Touring motorcycles.
The very high torque Rocket III motorcycle can cause torque-induced degradation in a body ply, which may result in the tire’s inner liner cracking, leading to a slow leak in the rear tire only. Affected tires can begin to vibrate at moderate speeds, producing the risk of a crash.

BATO and Triumph are working to notify owners, and will replace defective tires – and the matching front tires – free of charge. Owners can contact BATO at 800-465-1904, or NHTSA’s Vehicle Safety hotline at 888-327-4236. (Tire Review/Akron)

#2 ·
It is amazing that it took this long for them to figure it out. I had the problem at about 2K miles after I got my R3T and that was in July of last year. I put a post on the forum about the problem but only found one other guy that had the same shaking problem. I put Metz's on at 3k have 6k on it now and they have worked fine. Too bad I paid for them myself maybe Bridgestone would have if I could have waited a year.

Trapper

#3 ·
It figures. I just replaced the rear. It did just what was described in the recall notice. At 4000miles. Went flat with no puncture, cuts, etc.

Maybe I'll get a new front out of it.:cool:

#5 ·
I replaced both tires on 2/28 after experiencing similar problems.Sent emails to Peter Carleo on 2/25 and 3/27 and today 4/6 with attached copy to my dealer....could not/would not trust those Bridgestones and went with Metzlers on replacement.Will keep all posted to settlement..I have never had a reply from Peter but my dealer has responded..will see if district rep from Triumph has a response.The money is definetly an issue..However the lack of customer service and a reply is unacceptable!!

#7 ·
This tire recall really sucks hard. I bought my bike about 2 weeks ago and have been waiting for the local motorcycle clubs bike show as my dealer was going to prep the bike and bring it up here for me at the show. Well, my bike shows up, and I am totally stoked to get it finally. Then he tells me that this recall affects my bike and that Triumph won't let him let me have it until the tires are replaced - in about 2 more weeks!!! I have only seen this bike about 3 times now, never ridden it, and never even heard it run!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

rash

#8 ·
Rash
It might be a problem now to wait a week or two but let me tell you mine started shaking on a trip to California and I end up having to get them replaced in Las Vegas. Couldn't find anyone who had both tires so I ended up buying the front tire from one dealer and then took that tire to the dealer that had the back tire and payed extra to have him put on the tire he didn't sell. Thank God I the only tires I could find were Metz's because I wasn't about to put those shaken Bridgestone’s back on. I guess it kept me from playing the slots so maybe it didn't cost quite as much as it looks like. I am sending the tire bill to the Boys at Triumph with a nice letter requesting some reimbursement but it is sure to end up in the round file. I am just glad that it didn't cause me to end up on the ground.

Trapper

#9 ·
It sounds like they will be hooking us up with Metzlers, so that is great. And I do know it is a safety thing so I am trying to patiently wait it out. So, my dealer hopes by the end of the month I am out and cruising.

I was so excited for the 19th to come and I could ride off on her, only to see her, ride 30 yards to the dealer trailer, strap her down and say good bye. I hope those bloody tires get here quick!!!!!

rash

#10 ·
Metzler ?

I called my dealer today. They don't have any of the replacement tires in stock yet. Suggested I call back in May when they should be in stock & all the wrinkles of the recall are worked out. I've got about 4500 miles on them now with no signs of excessive wear, so waiting a few weeks is not a problem. He did say that he's heard that the replacements will be Metzlers.
Has anyone already replaced their Tourers tires with this brand yet? If so what have you experienced as far as handling, road holding, feedback, mileage, etc. I've had some experience with Michelin Pilot Roads on my Daytona, with very good results. But I don't remember ever rolling on Metzlers in the past. I mean new tires are great, but just wondering whats in store for us.

#12 ·
Funny you should ask, I just got my letter today. Replacements will be Metzler ME880's. I'll be calling the first convenient chance I get this week to see if my dealer has them in stock yet. No big rush as I've got plenty of tread still showing, and plenty of crappy weather for the next few days too.

#13 ·
I called my dealer and my R3T is one of the recalled ones. I already replaced the stock rear with a darkside tire. I'm going to hold off replacing the rear for a while.

My front tire is the supposed cause of my high speed wobble. The recall does not, according to the dealer, replace the front. I'll get them to verify that. I've read that both tires get replaced.

I'm getting a Metzeler ME880 put on. I've had good experience with them on other bikes. I'm also going to have them check the rear balance just to be sure it's not the cause of the wobble.

It's scary to get a tank slapper at 85 mph :eek:

#15 ·
Don't wait too long

I called my dealer and my R3T is one of the recalled ones. I already replaced the stock rear with a darkside tire. I'm going to hold off replacing the rear for a while.
I wouldn't hold out too long, as stated, the campaign will expire on June 30, 2009

#14 ·
Front tire IS included

The front tire is indeed part of the recall.
My letter states:
The dealer will replace the front and rear tires free of charge. While the condition occurs only on the rear tire, you will receive a front and rear tire. Triumph requires that the front and rear tires on this motorcycle match.
It goes on to say:
Even if you have already replaced a rear tire on this motorcycle with any other rear tire, bring this letter and the Tire recall notice reply card to your Triumph dealer. Arrangements will be made to replace the tires free of charge

#17 · (Edited)
Hi my name is Paul, I'm a new member and thought you might like to know I just had the Bridgstones on my R3T replaced with Metzlers at the dealer under the tire recall yesterday. Also there is a new recall out for the Rockets gear position sensor. The dealer did not have these in stock yet so I'll have to make a trip back . Also they furnished me with a new owners manual and warrenty book that shows the change in tires and I believe a change in the recommended rear tire pressure to 41 PSI instead of 42. The front pressure stays the same at 36PSI.
I love the R3T and will be making a trip to Washington State and Whidbey island wth a friend later this summer. About 1800 miles round trip. I have a photo of the bike in the introduce yourself thred.:D

#18 ·
+1 Gear Position Sensor

I had the tires changed out last week. Gotta love the head up guys at Hermy's. They saw I was coming in (a 120+ mile one way ride) and had a gear position sensor there waiting for me. Took care of both items for me while I waited.
About a 2 months ago I was rolling down I-95 & had the check engine light come on for no apparent reason. Luckily I was less than 10 miles away from the DiSimone dealership in Cherry Hill. The friendly folks there were kind enough to check the codes out for me in a jiffy, & pronounced it was a fault in the Gear Position Sensor. I think it checks what gear your in & reports it to the electronics, figures out engine speed, & sends the proper info back to the speedo. If I'm wrong on this I'm sure somebody will set us all straight shortly.
Anyway I took the backroads to Triumph Comes Home this past weekend & the new tires rode smoothly, predictably, & gave good hold & feedback.
Paul, thanks for posting the info on the tire pressures. Although Hermy's tried, it seems as tho the new manuals are in short supply at this time.

#19 ·
Had mine done yesterday, along with the GPS mod (they replace the box and wiring). Took the dealer about 4 weeks to get the tyres in after I contacted them following the receipt of my recall letter.

Of course, while the tyres were being changed, the rain started. Great fun riding home on brand new tyres along the freeway and through a dozen roundabouts.

ps I didn't see any issues with either the Stones or gear position in 5000kms....about 3500 miles. One of the lucky ones, I guess.

I'd have to say that the Metz handle really well, coz I didn't fall off on the way home, and I suppose that's the ultimate measure of a tyre's ability :)

Pete.

#20 ·
I think it checks what gear your in & reports it to the electronics, figures out engine speed, & sends the proper info back to the speedo.
Too complicated. The speed calculation depends only on the sensor that reads the speed of the output shaft of the gearbox; a simpler and more reliable method with no gear info needed. The main thing the ECU does need the info for is to determine ideal power delivery for smoothest operation in each gear. (Of course, if you don't care about that and want to wear out tires even faster in the low gears, you rip out the secondaries and the gear data becomes moot.)

I'd have to say that the Metz handle really well, coz I didn't fall off on the way home, and I suppose that's the ultimate measure of a tyre's ability :)
A good definition in my book. :D

#21 ·
Thanks Diego for the info, that helps clear up the matter a bit.
As far as the tires were concerned I when didn't experience anything noticeable at speeds over 15 MPH. I did notice a low speed wiggle first starting off from a stop tho. Nothing bad, but defintely noteably missing since getting the new tires mounted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.