Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost, but after doing a search I came up with WAY too many results on Tyres (tires)...and there are more than just a few opinion posts on shoes.

I'm looking at trailering my 2001 Sprint ST about 600 miles one way in order to get to get to the mountains and the Tail of the Dragon in about 6 weeks. With about 25 hours of towing the bike on a trailer ahead of me (or behind me depending on how you look at it), I thought I would invest in some help to be sure the bike's secure. Has anyone use this.... http://kyaracing.com.au/...on a 2001 Sprint ST? I'd like to make sure it fits before I order. There's a video too if anyone has the time to take a look.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
get a canyon dancer for the bars.. and two soft loops to slip over the passenger peg bracket.. and ratchet them down.. then take one ratchet strap and do the front wheel..

I'm no expert, but I just did a trip like that 1700 miles round trip.. no issues..

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
The rig you asked about will work.

Lino's suggestion is also effective, and probably cheaper.

Which ever method you opt for, do not use cam lock type straps. Use a quality brand of ratchet lock lever.

And do not over tighten the straps. All you need is a moderate amount of downward travel on the suspension, along with a reasonable spread, as in Lino's pic.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
+1 Lino and OND

Just as a matter of interest;

I had a shop move my Sprint once and the young apprentice mechanic over tightened the front handle bar loops (similar to the ones in Lino's pic although his are adjusted properly).

The result was it started to pull the rubbers off the handle bar tubes it was so tight.
Easily fixed but an necessary hassle.

cheers
DaveM :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
The trailer itself will make the biggest difference.

I've seen the TyreDown, and they are well liked... but not as easy to get state side.

My rig is baxley sport chocks bolted to the trailer, with e-track down the sides. I'll use a canyon dancer on the bars for "insurance" and soft straps to the rear passenger pegs.

From my experience, a quality wheel chock properly mounted is much better than spending 2 hours at 3am, in an interstate rest area, re tying the bikes down because the cam buckle straps got a little wet.

+1 on the quality ratchet straps. Look for ones that are "short" on the ratchet end. I recently found some at CycleGear that are about 3" on the end.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tyre down and an idea??

Okay, so here's a quick update on the Tyre Down for securing the bike to a trailer. I just got it in today, slipped it over the tire and I see some potential problems for fitting on the ST. The spread of the bars on the Tyre Down seem to hit the exhaust can. If I "narrow" the spread of the bars, then it comes into contact with the chain cover, and I lose quite a bit of the leverage for the tie down. I'm going to do more experimenting with it tomorrow, but I came up with an idea and wanted feedback. Since the rear axle is open-what, if any problems would I have if I fitted a iron bar through the opening and had it secured at the ends to the tie down points on the trailer. I imagine it something like this...around a 1"ish iron pipe put through the opening of the rear axle. A cap screwed on the end of the pipe that would have an eyelet for securing and then straps on each end to keep the bar level. Wouldn't this secure the tire to the trailer bed, still allow the suspension to function, and keep the bike from wanting to tilt, bounce, etc? obviously the pipe would need to be as tight as possible in the axle opening and as tight as possible to the nuts on either side to prevent movement and damage.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
like I said.. I am no expert, but the system I posted up works 100%, and probably allot cheaper than what you have purchased..

If what you bought is not working, then return it for a full refund and try the above mentioned system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe I just might have to check into sending it back. I wanted something that gave the bike that "rock solid" look in the rearview mirror. I just hate seeing a bike bounce, sway and jiggle in that 2" X 5" horror movie screen mounted to the glass. the Tyre down looked good, but it just isn't worth "making" it work. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts