Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking my tyres are going off and will change them for next season.

I ride fairly aggressively with plenty of corner speed.

The bike has ME33 and MEZ2 with the rear being an oversize 140. Bike handles well but tracks on white lines...

I’m a bit of a fan of Avon’s of old but don’t want to spend a load of money ruining the handling...

I’d like to know what boots everyone else is using and hoe they perform?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
My last three sets have been Metzeler Tourances. I personally haven't found that they last that long, though, so I'm passing the snowy hours considering options.

I use the OE sizes. I really love the look of a wider tire, but I find that you need a lot more lean to really get at the contact patch, and I'm too mellow for such hijinks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got rid of the original Metzlers on my Bonnie when I first bought my bike and fitted Pirelli sport demons, excellent handling but wore out in no time.
since then have been using Avon RoadRiders. these track very well and the wear rates are about half of what the Pirelli's were

·
Registered
23 Posts
When i got my Bike, it was 95% new Bridgestone Battlax. Prior to that i changed my Harley Street to also Brdgestone H50. in our country, the road, especially on turn, most times have bits of pebbles/sand and one gotta go slow. think i did not dwell deep enough, just discovered in this forum, Michelin Anakee types of tires (other makers also have similar tires) which would be my next change, tires mileage is not a concern as long as it grips well. i think it would boils down to the road condition one ride in your country. if the road am travelling is welll TAR, i might even get a slick tires !

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got rid of the original Metzlers on my Bonnie when I first bought my bike and fitted Pirelli sport demons, excellent handling but wore out in no time.

since then have been using Avon RoadRiders. these track very well and the wear rates are about half of what the Pirelli's were

I was always an Avon fan and ran Azaros on my old VFR for 18 years.. I had read that Bonnies are very sensitive to tyres so it’s good to hear they perform well..

Are you using standard sizes?

I’d like to hear for more users of a Avon Road Riders..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

I've been using Avon Roadriders for the past 11 years on my T100, all stock sizes.

since ditching the original Metzlers, have clocked up 150,000 kilometres, about 90k miles, on about 10 rear and 4 front Avons.
they grip and track well until about 70-80% worn. if they weren't any good would have ditched them for something else ages ago.

had an issue with one cracking slightly in the middle tread groove which was a known problem back in about 2010, but had no such problem with them ever since

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been using Avon Roadriders for the past 11 years on my T100, all stock sizes.

since ditching the original Metzlers, have clocked up 150,000 kilometres, about 90k miles, on about 10 rear and 4 front Avons.
they grip and track well until about 70-80% worn. if they weren't any good would have ditched them for something else ages ago.

had an issue with one cracking slightly in the middle tread groove which was a known problem back in about 2010, but had no such problem with them ever since

Good review mate, thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I take it that you are running with inner tubes or have you had your spokes sealed?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I take it that you are running with inner tubes or have you had your spokes sealed?

tubes.

and have learnt the hard way to use quality tubes like Continental, Heidenau, Pirelli

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was always an Avon fan and ran Azaros on my old VFR for 18 years.. I had read that Bonnies are very sensitive to tyres so it’s good to hear they perform well..

Are you using standard sizes?

I have heard from a few people who really rated the roadriders, for me however as it is very rural where I live I have just replaced my tyres with Avon trailriders which get good reviews online for grip on normal roads, get good wear rates but are still pretty effective on poorer road surfaces, though obviously are not scrambler/trail bike tyres.

I am about to start to refit the back wheel and take it out for a test ride

·
Registered
246 Posts
Avon Storm 3D XM on my Thruxton work very well and are wearing well. I will be replacing them with the same when they wear out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The absolute best tyre for my bikes are not cheap. The Continental Classic Attack transformed my bike. I ride hard on mine, mostly corners, mountains , i have used all the types, & found for me the Classic Attack are great.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Pirelli Sport Demons, suits my 2008 Thruxton and my riding style(Maniac) get 4000 K's before they go off. I Ride in New Zealand and we have Vicious Roads.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Pirelli Sport Demons, suits my 2008 Thruxton and my riding style(Maniac) get 4000 K's before they go off.

I Ride in New Zealand and we have Vicious Roads.
Corners and the odd hill, hadnt thought of describing them as vicious.

I like the Sport Demon as well.

:ride:NZflag

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hated how the Metzlers tracked rain grooves. I switched to Pilot Activs and the handling is great, they are not wearing fast (tread is still great after a couple of seasons), and they don't track grooves or lines at all. I don't know how they compare to Avons, but I couldn't be happier with the Michelins.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just mounted a set of Michelin Road Pilot 2's on my 2012 Bonneville SE. So far, they seem fine. If I get the wear (~8500 miles) I got from my Bridgestones (OEM tires), I'll be happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts