Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Tyre changing

618 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jaknife 
#1 ·
Hi all a question if I may? Do you take your bike wheels of yourself then take them to a shop when changing tyres, or do you leave the bike and let them crack on with it.

I am trying to workout if it’s more cost effective vs safety etc as to take the wheels of a Thunderbird Storm is a pain in the backside. I know a lot of shops won’t do it.

#2 ·
I take my time and follow Propforward's instructions and do the whole thing myself.
Very satisfying to hear the bead pop on the rim.

#3 ·
I have been changing my own tires for several years now. I lost count but it's about 3 fronts and 5 rears. The aluminum wheels and tubeless tires are different than the ones Propforward showed but the tools and techniques are similar. I couldn't break the bead with tire tools. I had to get a bead breaker for about $120 but it's paid for itself a few tires ago. I also use it to get the new tire on. And the difference between a 19x120 front and a 17x255 rear is not a big deal but they are definitely different.
I also use 2oz. of balance beads in a tire. I've been using beads for about 10 years and never had a problem.The tire is perfectly balanced for the life of the tire and eliminates cupping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.