Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title suggests just curious to know life expectancy of the regulator and stator on what seems to be a common issue.

Genuine vs Mosfet vs series regulators typical life?

Stator life expectancy?

Mainly focusing on the st1050 but hey if the same parts used on the earlier models then give those figures also.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Highly dependent on usage. The OEM R/R will generally burn itself out at some point due to overheating; the MOSFET units have overheat and overvoltage protection and the series units have at least overvoltage protection. Running a series R/R should prolong stator life, though it's no guarantee against stator failure.

Heat is usually what kills the stator. The newer R/Rs just don't seem to fail much.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'd say Kit has summed it up about right. On reflection I my case when mine failed I was riding mid summer with various farkles connected (GPS etc) which probably took the power draw close/over the 30A capacity of the OEM RR. Keeping below that level could possibly increase the longevity of the system, but for a sports tourer its unlikely.
I also suffered the typical stator issue where the stator appears to charge slightly or show no fault when cold, but when the engine warms up the stator shorts causing it to fail, taking the RR and battery with it. Even when I was recovered to a garage. The mechanic easily diagnosed the RR failure but missed the stator failure. So once the RR was replaced with an OEM item and a new battery fitted. So off I rode only to find around 100 miles later the bike dies leaving me stranded at the side of the road for the 2nd time, I'm guessing it ran on the power of the battery. The 1st repair bill was €720, & I refused to consider a 2nd repair away from home when I was informed the triumph dealer in Dijon wanted $1200+ Especially when I had the parts at home

1 - 3 of 3 Posts