Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Deadly force should not be exercised by police officers except to defend themselves or the lives of citizens. Running from an arresting officer is stupid, but it's not a capital offense, nor should it be.
The key word there is 'should'. You have no idea what kind of person has his hand on the gun, the person wearing the badge could be completely incompetent and/or a closet sociopath.

I'm sure that the vast majority of police are reasonable and professional, but there are lots of youtube videos out there that prove this is an extremely dangerous assumption.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Even in the second video, they shouldn't have had a rifle trained on him prior to his pulling a gun (see about half way through, where he "considers taking a shot at him" with the rifle). At that point, it was just riding without plates, fleeing and the suspicion of drug crimes. None of which are worthy of shooting someone. Until someone's life is in danger and shooting the suspect will prevent death or grievous injury to someone, it's not warranted. In the first video, there was no hint of his having a weapon or intent to harm. He turned, probably to better hear what he was being told.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
As I said before, in that case two families are destroyed for ever.
Possibly HAP but I am glad that when I was pulled up last month that I am pleased that Texas LEO weren't there to pop a cap in my "stopped by the side of the road" arse for pulling over when requested to do so..

Like any employee they have to take responsibility for their "own" actions. They have a really ****ty job IMO, but that is their job.

I am sorry that you have lost 2 mates. What about the first Harley rider though?? He may have been a gay pirate but that doesn't warrant a shooting him. Does it?

and don't dramatise it with the hanging as it makes light of a serious issue.

Plus 1 for HiD

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
I gotta say I don't see the problem with pointing the rifle at him. The "considered shooting" is the TV programmers interperetation and possibly said to dramatize the situation. Pointing the gun could have convinced him to stop where just standing there might not.

Either way the copper did the right thing in not firing. He was no immediate danger to anyone.

AS for the two bikers, the guy that got shot stopped in pretty reasonable time and distance after the blues came on.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I worked for some time as a weapons instructor, my overall impression of the guy shot in the back was the officer was maybe intending just to cover him and applied too much pressure to the trigger. Its a very easy thing to do if your not very familiar with your
weapon. If in fact he was a desk jockey that would support that observation. Theres a good reason these sorts of tradgedies are decided in a court of law after months of preperation by police prosecutors or DA,s... defense teams.. and experienced Judges etc and not on a forum .;)

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Its a very easy thing to do if your not very familiar with your weapon.
A circumstance for which there is no excuse, if it's true.

Theres a good reason these sorts of tradgedies are decided in a court of law after months of preperation by police prosecutors or DA,s... defense teams.. and experienced Judges etc and not on a forum .;)
True. But no one's suggesting that anyone's freedom rest on the conclusions of this forum. We're just talking.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
A circumstance for which there is no excuse, if it's true.
No exscuse but the level of training and ongoing practice supplied to Police is pretty low in reality as it all comes out of there budget and guess what! thats run by bean counters.We had a rash of incidents including deaths here when Police changed from revolvers to 40 cal Glock Autos about 12 13 years ago.

True. But no one's suggesting that anyone's freedom rest on the conclusions of this forum. We're just talking.
No Its healthy to discuss this stuff, its just that some parties are making some pretty dramatic judgements based on the bit of footage we can see.

I was just pointing out that these cases can run into years and months not to mention millions of dollars and still all the facts dont come to light.

H

·
0 Posts
Mark. When I first moved to Texas I was told in no uncertain terms"don't make eye contact or talk to the cops in blank county" or they will shoot you. I thought it was just motorcycles they disliked. Nope, you dis em they shoot you. Seems they get a huge amount of their budget from stopping any one and fining them big bucks and they don't want you to argue. Poor training? No, just greed.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I live in the area where the 24 year old guy was shot in the back. I think it is pretty clear in the video that the rider pulled over and stopped pretty quickly after the lights came on, and also that he wasn't reaching for a weapon. In this case I think it is fair to say the officer overreacted. Ottawa Hills is a pretty ritzy suburb and does not see the violent crime one would see in Toledo or other large cities (not that it can't happen and certainly police officers need to be careful in any traffic stop).

I haven't yet been pulled over on my bike, but after this incident, I will either put the bike in neutral so I can get both hands up or keep them on the bars and not move at all.

Many years ago I was chased by an officer who did not have his lights on and I could not tell in the dark it was a LEO. I thought he was a nut case. He came up on the rear of my car very fast, then got next to me like he was going to pass and then got right on my tail again. I took off, heading for the nearest police station! Ha, ha, after a couple miles of him chasing me, then he put his lights on. All of this started because I was doing 60 in a 55 zone. I did get him to admit to the judge what he did and did not get a ticket or any fines, but it was a frightening experience. Most police officers I believe are reasonable and they do have a very dangerous job. But, I think a few are attracted to the profession to have power over people.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts