Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I especially liked the "the riders shot off at a high rate of speed"

erm, not really, well maybe for a cruiser I suppose. If I'd shot off at a high rate of speeds it'd have taken him a mile or so to catch up.
If I remember, at that point the riders claimed they still didn't know it was a police car behind them at the intersection and thought it was only a car following them too close. My riding friends often had warrants or other problems while I mostly didn't so we always planned that I would pull over and take the heat from LEO while they would keep going. It looked like what those two tried to do except the guy who should have been the runner rode into somebody's lawn and dropped his bike while the guy who pulled over ended up getting shot. Maybe it wasn't such a good plan after all...

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Ok TRiick. So maybe just maybe the cops here are a bit trigger happy. You can't blame them though when a biker looks as mean as that one did.:) Oh, it seems you really didn't plant that link so I am sorry I said you worked for the scally wags.
One has to wonder how Andy of Mayberry would have handled the situation.;) Apology excepted..:)

H

·
0 Posts
You don't see a difference between shooting at someone with a gun in his hands, and an unarmed man?
I Really couldn't judge a cop who in the heat of the moment shot an unarmed person because any any given day he himself is likely to be shot. I am saddened by the death of an innocent person at the hands of a stupid cop as it destorys more than the two lives. But having been to two police funerals, both killed by druggies who weren't hurt I felt very torn between the two videos seen here.:( I could never be in law enforcement again but I would have shot that last one.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
"riding like a latter day steve McQueen"

Hardly, He's on a dirt bike, he ought to have gone well off road.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
I Really couldn't judge a cop who in the heat of the moment shot an unarmed person because any any given day he himself is likely to be shot. I am saddened by the death of an innocent person at the hands of a stupid cop as it destorys more than the two lives. But having been to two police funerals, both killed by druggies who weren't hurt I felt very torn between the two videos seen here.:( I could never be in law enforcement again but I would have shot that last one.
Well, the jury in that case sent the cop to prison.

H

·
0 Posts
As I said before, in that case two families are destroyed for ever. In the later case of the drug dealer/user pulling a gun on cops justice was served and his family was already destroyed by his drug connection.

Social engineers will endeaver to change how Americans respond to violence in our lives but will fail and we will always need police and get both the good and the bad.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm going to say I believe there is a difference between shooting a known drug suspect who is armed and dangerous and obviously fleeing arrest and shooting one of two guys in a routine traffic stop because they didn't pull over fast enough.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
As I said before, in that case two families are destroyed for ever. In the later case of the drug dealer/user pulling a gun on cops justice was served and his family was already destroyed by his drug connection.

Social engineers will endeaver to change how Americans respond to violence in our lives but will fail and we will always need police and get both the good and the bad.
And we need to weed out the bad before they do stupid **** like shooting an unarmed man in the back.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Well in the times I have been pulled over and stopped by the police, I have never bolted. If I had, especially in the states, I would expect to be shot.

The guys in the video where they took off maybe shouldn't have done that

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
In that case, the guys didn't even know it was a cop behind them, the cop didn't light up until after they had ridden away.

Even if they had, that doesn't justify beating someone, and certainly not shooting them in the back.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
In that case, the guys didn't even know it was a cop behind them, the cop didn't light up until after they had ridden away.

Even if they had, that doesn't justify beating someone, and certainly not shooting them in the back.
Well they had 20 seconds to stop after they took off. The cop doesn't know who they are, if they are going to stop and ambush him,etc

It is easy to lay blame after the fact. Bottom line is if they stopped when the saw the lights they might be alive.

Personal responsibility is key,...and that's why I haven't been beaten or shot by cops.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
Well they had 20 seconds to stop after they took off. The cop doesn't know who they are, if they are going to stop and ambush him,etc

It is easy to lay blame after the fact. Bottom line is if they stopped when the saw the lights they might be alive.

Personal responsibility is key,...and that's why I haven't been beaten or shot by cops.
They are alive. The one shot is paralyzed. And it's not like they led them on a long high speed chase, they did in fact pull over.

Where is your concern for the personal responsibility on the part of the cop? He screwed up badly, and is now in prison because of it. And a man will be spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because of his actions. So where does his responsibility come in? Are the cops allowed to do anything if you don't pull over "fast enough", in their opinion?

H

·
0 Posts
The guy who got shot and his family will suffer for this action for ever and the cop who over reacted is in jail and his family will be haunted by his actions for ever. deluxe is correct in saying the guys ran, doesn't matter how far. The cop had no idea why or who they may be. The jury found the cop acted badly and as per our customs here in the US he was sent to jail. But I ask you this if you were the cop and those guys just sped off what would you be thinking at just the moment you pulled the trigger? No one knows and as I have said before both families have been ruined. Do you think we should have hung the cop?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
They are alive. The one shot is paralyzed. And it's not like they led them on a long high speed chase, they did in fact pull over.

Where is your concern for the personal responsibility on the part of the cop? He screwed up badly, and is now in prison because of it. And a man will be spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because of his actions. So where does his responsibility come in? Are the cops allowed to do anything if you don't pull over "fast enough", in their opinion?
Personally responsibility from the point of view that the whole thing could have been avoided. The chain of events started when the guys took off. "Fast enough" doesn't equate when people take off then continue to speed from a cop. That one second they go is all the time the cop needs to decide he has a pursuit. Pulling over fast enough is irrelevent. It was the action of taking off fast in the first place that set the wheels in motion.

The incident is unfortunate for all,...and 100% avoidable, by all.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
They didn't know it was a cop behind, and when they did they stopped. Simple.

And no, it wasn't simply speeding away that set it in motion. That's why the ultimate blame for the OUTCOME lay with the cop. He did not do what he was supposed to do, he panicked. That's why the jury ruled as it did; the person who could have prevented this was the cop. And he screwed up.

I've been pulled over. I've even been pulled over when it took me a bit to realize he was after me. Does that excuse anything he might have done afterwords?

I've lost track; when did speeding become a capital offense?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Well in the times I have been pulled over and stopped by the police, I have never bolted. If I had, especially in the states, I would expect to be shot.
Yeah, I'm going to have to wave the :bs flag on that one.

Deadly force should not be exercised by police officers except to defend themselves or the lives of citizens. Running from an arresting officer is stupid, but it's not a capital offense, nor should it be. If they've run the plate and found out the vehicle is owned by an escaped mass murderer known to be armed and dangerous, maybe. But firing a weapon because someone bolts during a routine traffic stop? That's excessive force.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts