Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,

I sold my 2008 Speedy to get this 2007 Yamaha FJR1300.
Man, do I miss it. The FJR is better on long trips but the Speedy has so much SOUL.
I know you've heard this story before, but I am selling my new FJR for my new girlfriend. She says motorcycling is way too dangerous.
What the heck do I do? Lose her or the FJR?

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
She can either understand that riding motorcycles is part of your life and accept it....... or part ways. I dont think an ultimatum is in order on your side, but if she makes one then its time for her to leave. Just my 0.02. Being concerned.... and controlling you are on two completely different levels.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
FJRs are nice bikes. But you are correct, they are bland compared to Triumphs. No advice on the girlfriend from me. What would I know? I've been married 33 years. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
My wife (fiancee at the time) wasnt happy with me buying my S3, her excuse was for the money, but i know she doesnt like bikes. She would probably be happy to see me give up motorcycles, but knows it wont happen, ive been riding for almost 20 years.....and im only 24.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
She has a lot of control over you for just being your girl friend.

Imagine how life is going to be if you get married.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Any problems with heat radiating on your legs with the FJR? As far as getting out of motorcycling for the girlfriend...... plenty o' fish in the sea

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
So you do know that women issue statements like that to find out what you are made of. Once she finds out that you're a pushover, you'll be used and treated as such until she finds a guy with a pair. Either stand up like a man or prepare for the inevitable.

Trust me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You just bought a new bike, so I'm guessing riding is something you like to do... she knew about this beforehand, no? I don't see how this is an issue.

Ask her to shave her head because YOU like it better... see how that goes down.

Honestly, every single time you see a motorcycle or a perfect road on a perfect day, you will look at her to fill that gap in your life; while a good "servicing" is great, you can't take it with you when she pisses you off.

It's not about the bike, it's about YOU.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if you love motorcylcing you will resent her later on for making you give it up.

then you will have lost time in the saddle and will likely lose the relationship as well.

decide how much you love biking.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow... it all depends on motivation. It really is impossible for us to say what hers is, or yours, heck most of us lie to ourselves about our own motivations most of the time....... So I cannot comment upon what is going to make you happy or not, now or in the future. Some of the things already related may be quite accurate or may miss the point altogether. I AM going to relate what one wonderful wife did for her husband (me).
I had a '77 Bonneville when I met my wife. She knew I loved it. I could not keep it running though and eventually sold it.
She knew I had a passion for it but left it go. We raised 3 kids to adulthood and I did not give it too much thought (but still dreamt about riding now and then). After 25 years she pulls off the biggest surprise and gets me a 2005 T100 for my birthday, licensed, insured and ready to go. I did not have a clue. I didn't even realize how unselfish she really was though I have had plenty of chances to learn about that over the years. I don't think too many guys are going to ever have a woman like that... they are rare.
So I cannot give you advice about what to do.. this way or that. Only do whatever you can to determine her motivations (and yours). If she wants to be the center of your attention all of the time and is jealous of your bike, it will probably never work. If she is truly concerned for your safety then that is a good motivation, however, if it seems that way but has demands attached.... be careful. It may take years to sort it all out. How patient are you? Just determine the motivations... that's all I can say.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Grow some balls and tell her to stay home if she doesn't like motorcycles.

Honestly she is a NEW girlfriend. My wife doesn't like motorcycles and thinks there dangerous and won't go on one to save her life. Her loss. I still ride and always will. Don't stop doing things you like because of someone opinions. You'll only resent them for it in the future. Tell her how it is and if she likes you she'll learn to accept it or just deal. If not bye bye. Sorry to be so blunt but I know too many people who stopped doing what is fun for them because of someone else. Ride that damn FJR till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
bahh, just tell her you understand her concern and that you will try to keep the riding outside the city and not at night.

But you don't really have to change anything

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everybody. I am new over here since I am trying to choose which Triumph to go for later on.

In any case, I though I might as well try to contribute straight away.

Skygodmatt, since biking is pretty much in your blood you should not let something you really like let go. Most likely, even if you sell the bike now - you will want to get back to two wheels later on. Somehow, I am pretty sure that you could keep both (the bike and the new gf) if you try a little harder and have confidence in your success.

I believe that all you should do is make her believe that it is not as danger as it seems like (duh). The thing is - she is full of worries and you have to 'kick em out' the right way.

I started riding motorbikes at 11 and trust me - I did all sort of tricks to let my mom approve the purchasing decision as well as keeping her calm in general. At the age of 16 I've been driving Honda CB400SF (53hp) in Moscow - which is fun place to ride for sure. :D

Some of the suggestions: buy some books. Hey, I am pretty sure it will be helpful to read some for you too. I've done a little research and actually purchased 5 titles (just to keep myself busy before I actually buy a new bike): Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well , Total Control: High-Performance Street Riding Techniques, Suspension Tuning: How to Set Up Your Bike for Handling, Stability, and Control on the Street and Track, Sportbike Performance Handbook , The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance: Tips and Techniques to Keep Your Motorcycle in Top Condition . Well, this is just the sort of reading I found interesting for me (no need to ask anybody really if I can buy a bike or not anymore).

That is, try getting couple, show her that its all safe once you do the right thing. Get some quality protective gear if you dont have yet already. All this should definately make her chill with the whole bike thing. Just as usual - let her speak out her emotions (dont try to make rational points when a person speaks rather out of emotion). Get her some icecream or something and explain that you dont want to give up awesome addiction.

You can also say that else you may end up in the hi end audio which will most likely set you back on $ much more. :p Oh, and try to save the burn outs, crazy acceleration and stuff like that for some peaceful time away from home.

That is, I believe it's all possible. It's just the way we take it and... I guess if nothing really works then... maybe it's not a girl you are looking for or... perhaps its time for you to settle down and enjoy the family life. :D

Hey, once I managed to make a girl who hated motorbikes to take a passenger seat. Her first ever ride ended up in the cave with (crappy) bikes exhaust on her leg (ouch). Well, it wasnt the best idea to drive with some drunken guy without protective gear (duh)... Well, that excident made her simply afraid as hell so that I had to practice my skills in 'programming her mind'... :D

Hope everything works out best for you.

p.s. I will slowly continue to make my mind - Striple R or Speedy )

·
Registered
69 Posts
Let me get this straight. You had a bike, sold it for a different one two weeks ago and now you're already thinking of getting rid of it? Wow. I CANNOT believe that you would even contemplate this. How much money are you going to lose on these deals? [Shaking my head]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts