Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a TT600 and was just wondering how they fair with 2-up riding? I'm 6' tall, athletic build around 13.5 stone (196 pounds), the missus is about 5'3", slim and around 7.5 stone (103 pounds).

Will this be a suitable bike? Need to know asap! Oh, and the other option is a Thundercat!

Cheers :)

G

·
Your about the same weight as me, although i'm an inch or so shorter (5'10").

My wife's about the same as your's and she finds it comfy enough

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks :) How long for - is she ok for a full tankful of fuel (say, 120 miles) or can u get away with more?

G

·
I tend to get about 110 mile out of a tank, so not as good as some bikes. but it'll cruise at 80mph two-up while still being comfy. Although a 5 min break while you fill up is always good.

The riding position is also good, not too sporty, and just 'touring' enough to be relaxing.

6th gear, 80mph is about the mid rev range.

I've got an after market 'double bubble' screen and a rear hugger, and would say that both are worth while getting as you'll stop the wind blast, and have a cleaner back end :-D

[ This message was edited by: PmSonic on 2007-01-09 04:38 ]

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
I got 200 plus miles out of a few tanks of fuel on my 2001, but it was running so lean that it got really, really hot. 180 is about the max for a tank of fuel if you take it easy on a well tuned TT600. If you take it to the track, you can burn a tank in something like 65 or 70 miles! Tires don't last too long doing that, either! :razz:

·
Registered
509 Posts
although my bike does have a different riding pos cos of the handle bars... engine-wise and seat wise tho... I do plenty of 2 up with girlfriends. I took one to scotland 1500 round trip did 12 hours once in one stint with her on the back and panniers, no complaints. Obviously, its not a sprint, but there you go. I get 100 miles to the light and usually do 10-15-20 miles after never run her dry so I don't know its limit but that suits me. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
It's relatively comfy for a Supersport bike. Done a fair bit of 1-2 hour trips with my girlfriend and she finds it no problem :)

As for tank range, mine ran dry 20 once only miles after the light came on :(

G

·
I HAVE ABOUT 7,000 MILES ON MY 2001 TT600 AND 6,000 OF THEM WERE TWO UP WITH MY WIFE. SHE HAS ONLY COMPLAINED ABOUT HER LEGS BEING TOO HIGH UP. PERFICT FOR 1HOUR RIDES . (SHE SAYS.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, thanks guys! My only thought was the seat would be too small as it looks tiny, but 'her indoors' has a small bum anyway so should be fine! :D:D

Also, luggage wise, what would you recommend? I was thinking a tank bag and just some soft panniers, rather than hard luggage or a tail pack - any opinions?

Cheers! :)

G

·
I've got a Givi top box, i mainly use it for my commute to work. but with the back pad its a great back rest for your pillion. You'll still need a tank bag, but could work for you..

Linky... Givi Box

[ This message was edited by: PmSonic on 2007-01-10 07:40 ]

·
Registered
402 Posts
On 2007-01-09 16:27, doodledog wrote:
I know Hinkleyboy used to do a lot of two up touring he did some major milage with no ill effects, got himself a Blade now so dont see him around here much.
I THOUGHT I FELT MY EARS BURNING, hi guys, yeah the tt is fine for touring, we did about 450 miles on it 2 up in one day, yes we were a bit sore but i'd rather have done it on the tt than on a gixxer or r6, and i reckon the thundercat would be just as good

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input - PmSonic, do you have any pics of your TT with the Givi top box in place? Does it fit to the OE Triumph luggage rack? Thanks! :)

G

·
Sorry, its a bit blury, and the rain is belting down but i've got a pic from my phone.

The bikes getting a service just now, so if you want another better) picture with the givi box actually on it i can do that over the weekend.

but for now i though you might want to see the luggage rack size / position.

·
Registered
509 Posts
get the triumph throw overs, they are really good, very expandable, have built in rain covers and come with custom fit panel protectors. they really do the job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have done a few 2 up rides with my wife without a problem and it still goes pretty good when you want to pass and handles nicely. I am 5' 10" and weigh over 200lbs. My wife...well....I am not saying but she is alot lighter them me.

As far a storage on the bike, I have a tankbag that I hardly use but I got some Joe Rocket Velocity Saddle Bags and they work well with the bike.

I have taken the bike to the Cabot Trail which is almost 20 hours away from where I live. I carried the saddle bags loaded down, a tent and a sleeping bag on the bikle w/o a problem.

It is a great all round bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts