Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
just found the forum after some serious keyboard tapping, wow:)
Went into a dealers today and both my brother and i have decided to go for a tiger, both 6'3" and large ( ex rugby playing farmers) so i think the bike suits and its british;). However for starters we will start off at the lower end of the range:( so would you spend the extra 3-500 pounds to upgrade from the 855 to the 955? does the spoked wheels have any baring as in problems, and if anyone has a nice example then please let us know. We are in the northampton area.I think we have made the right choice dont you:ClapHappy:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi Tufty,

Welcome to the forum :)

When you said "rugby" and "farmer" in the same sentence I expected you to live in Wales, however you didn't mention a keen interest in "sheep" and "wellies" so we're ok :D

Now, back to bikes - I'm on to my 4th Tiger (a 2006 '955) and I can honestly say it's the dogs danglies. It is so sorted for big guys. The engine is bulletproof, ride comfortable, masses of power, you can load it up with lot's of stuff and when the Massy breaks down, it will pull a plough all day :)

Go on, spend the extra pennies and get a 2006 !!

·
Registered
794 Posts
When I first read "farmer" and "rugby players" I thought you must be South African:)

There are more issues at play than just an 855 vs a 955. The 955 I would expect as newer bikes have lower mileage too. I would think you would be better off with a 955 but the 855's are fine bikes too. Whatever you can afford to spend....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I'm wanted at last

It's very kind of you to want me, but Mrs Two Tigers says I can't come out to play.

Good Hunting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One to look at...

Pure Triumph at Wellingborough are selling a 2003 955 in orange - might be worth a look. Try making them an offer, Best of luck with your search - you will not regret buying a Tiger - great bike, especially for us 6+ footers.
Mike

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Welcome along to the forum.

Good luck with your quest, and i think my advice would be to consider 4 things:

Overall Condition - Has the previous owner looked after it? Look beyond the obvious.
Mileage - Obviously a concern, but this can be offset by a careful previous owner
Service History - Lube services are recommended at 6,000 and full service at 12,000
Price - That's your business, but all the above will be a consideration in deciding if it is a fair price. It is definately a buyers market at the moment in the U.K, and a cash offer has some real bargaining power!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks to all, so i can take it that there is no model in the range that is a bit of a "no no" to purchase :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can vouch for Graeme he is tall and I'm short and fat.
Well if you call six foot short, this bike rocks really it will do every thing tour scratch high speeds try following Graeme:D

Buy as new as you can afford.

BIG BILL

·
Registered
573 Posts
Good time of year to start looking, credit crunch and all. Have a look on ebay, you never know what pops up, mostly it's chancers trying to fleece muppets but there are some bargains.

Mine was lovingly cared for when I got it, I then discovered it got dirty when I rode it and abandoned plans to keep it clean :)

Took that too far through winter and now have quite badly pitted rims and rusty spokes which are a pain to keep clean. Apart from that and a snapped throttle cable which I knew was coming but was too lazy to get fixed, it's been 100% reliable at 6 yrs old and 40k on the clock.

No plans to swap unless a stupidly cheap alloy wheel model comes up.

I always have a leaning towards lower mileage bikes, but I know the general concensus is for the price, go for the newer bike with the (slightly) higher miles.

Oh, and buy crash bars. I didn't and one duck later I ergretted it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts