Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want to get the frame powder coated, I have an appointment next week, but will it hurt the frame since it is an oil-in-frame? I imagine it would just cook any oil left over out, but what about seals?

Second, Will the headlamp brackets from an older bonnie fit my 1973 T140V? I want that older look on the forks, no turn signals, just black brackets. I've bought some commando gaiters that I hope will fit. Any suggestions on that would be greatly appreicated. Thanks so much guys! It's awesome finding someplace with a lot of knowledge on something I'm new to.

Thanks!
Luke

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I will try and find the thread. Would you happen to know about the headlamp bracket question? The part number is 97-1887. I'm just wondering if I can put that on my 73 T140V? Thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
headlight brackets

Hi
On my Bonnie the indicators first came loose and rotated then started falling off. Then the switchgear packed up and the indicators fell off. In the end I just chopped the wiring off and chucked them (they'd gone rusty by then anyway!) and fitted a couple of black plastic bungs in the holes and it looked OK. now we are about to do it up again but without the indicators and as the brackets have now gone rusty as well. We'll strip and paint them black. no one will know!!!
best regards Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I think you are on to something... Mine are all rusty as well, that is one reason I was looking to replace. I could take them off, sandblast them and have them painted...

My dad is also a great welder, I might see if we can fashion up something to cover those holes... The more I read peoples remarks on this thread, the more I realize I have to get creative! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hiya
Cheers there. We just think basic and easiest! Use a good primer filler after you've blasted them-saves time, looks great! you can do the same to the mudguards as well (unless they've rotted through!) Honestly everything fell off, broke went rusty or stopped working but it still ran! Even the frame went rusty. The seventies were not good to Triumph! regards chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention. Nothing wrong with powder coating but check all the welds and brackets before powder coating its a bummer if something is naff beforehand! regards Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chris, Do you mean to check for cracks in the welds? Also, do you paint using an airgun? I'd imagine spray paint doesn't do too well. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hiya
Frames and rims we powder coat, everything else is spray painted (twin pack).
The dreadful corrosion you find on late Triumphs is often into welds so check everything but especially the mounting brackets for the bits and bobs as they are prone to cracking (don't forget the headlight). If you powder coat it is often the coater that does the blasting so either ask them to check carefully or get them to call you once they have blasted and before they paint or, if they are really mint, then ask them to have a good look and let you know. Powder coating needs doing very soon after blasting to be effective so you may have to drop everything at short notice. trust that helps. best regards chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts