Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this makes sense

1 Clutch question.

Sometimes when down shifting as I prepare to stop the clutch does not engage the lower gear. This usually happens at low speed and say shifting from 4th down to 2nd. If I then release lever just enough to engage the gear it will continue to down shift ok. This also happens if I am stopped at a light say in 3rd gear and down shift.

Is this a rider issue, a normal thing, or possible clutch problem? Am using Mobile 1 V Twin 20-50 oil. Less than 2000 miles on bike.

2. Rear brake rotor

What are indications of a warped rotor? When bike is on center stand and I spin the wheel it moves freely except for one spot where the brake will drag. How do they check the rotor?

Randy

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
It's a rider thing, you should never "stop at a light in 3rd gear", you should downshift as you slow down, one gear at a time.

Also, I don't think you're supposed to downshift more than one gear at a time, which would explain why if you let the clutch out it allows you to downshift.

My rotor drags a little too, I think it's fairly normal.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thought it might be a rider thing. Usually downshift while slowing but get caught sometimes.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If you "get caught sometimes" in a gear other than 1st at a stop llight, simply roll the bike forward a little and down shift to first--without releasing the clutch.

Larry

[ This message was edited by: RedBird on 2006-11-16 19:50 ]

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
reguarding your clutch issue.
It sounds like a combination of 2 things. If I was to guess I would say your bike is fairly new and still rather tight. Mine did that too.
If I kept the clutch lever in for a long time it didn't want to shift down. Probablly a comination of new clutch and cable stretch.
And it is a "rider issue". "Getting caught" in the wrong gear at a light is a bad habit that can bite you in the butt later. Get used to going down throught the gears 1 at a time. One day you will NEED to stop really quickly and the distance saved will be critical. It also helps balence the bike out.

Warped rear rotor.
Do you have a center stand?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
My rear rotor drags a bit too. I keep meaning to ride one time without using the rear brake and check if it gets hot. Not sure what that will tell me, but if it's really hot, I guess that I should do something about it? I don't think that it's warped, it drags lightly and evenly throughout its rotation.

A word of caution about downshifting for traffic stops. Yes, you should downshift as you slow down, but don't get ahead of your speed either, or you'll find yourself going too fast for the gear you're now in when the light turns green.

I sometimes find myself doing about 30mph, already in neutral, and the light turns green. Now I have to kick it into second and spin it out just to keep going at a reasonable speed. Probably a bit hard on the clutch and transmission, and/or maybe I'm just not an aggressive enough (with the machinery) driver.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I usually do the shift down a gear & let the clutch out thing. I use the engine for braking. That way I am always in the right gear if something changes & I need to power out of a bad situation. Plus I listen to the burble sound from the loud exhaust. Cool
It is hard to tell exactly what gear to be in if you down shift 2 or 3 gears at once while having the clutch in. I have done that & usually wind up letting the clutch out while braking & locking the rear wheel up. Being sideways looks good to the car drivers but a little un-nerving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts