Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, after getting the advice for petrol re routing got the tank on fired up, now here's the thing Cylinders 1 and 3 not playing 2 and 4 alive and kicking , any thoughts please. Cheers John

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yup, sure do have thoughts. Your spark plug wires aren't going to the correct plugs. The left hand coil should supply spark to cylinders 1&4 and the right coil (Throttle side) supplies 2&3. Not sure how your got labeled wrong but from the pictures, it sure looks like they are.
Let us know how it turns out.

Also, when counting plugs, start on the left when sitting on the bike. So #1 is on the far left (clutch side) and #4 is far right (throttle side).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks boardbandit, I'll have a swop about and let you know outcome this is the sequence the bike had when I took tank off so the plot thickens re buying a non starting bike from a dealer, the manual I have does'nt give a very clear indication of the lead location so I was just going off how Id found them, prior to re painting cam cover, thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a go'er

Yup, sure do have thoughts. Your spark plug wires aren't going to the correct plugs. The left hand coil should supply spark to cylinders 1&4 and the right coil (Throttle side) supplies 2&3. Not sure how your got labeled wrong but from the pictures, it sure looks like they are.
Let us know how it turns out.

Also, when counting plugs, start on the left when sitting on the bike. So #1 is on the far left (clutch side) and #4 is far right (throttle side).
Well big smiles all round got time to swop everything around as you described, fired up almost straight away and running fine, think I have got myself a cheap motorbike, can't understand how a dealer would have got those wired wrong, but it's a bonus for me, many thanks Boardbandit, I'm smiling, now to do the leaking fork seals.
Cheers, John

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad to hear you got her running, John. Good luck with the fork seals. It's a pretty straight forward job, nothing special about Trophy forks. If you have ever done fork seals before, it should be fairly easy. Post up if you run into a snag.
Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts