Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I think we may all agree that a Tiger is a pretty good all around machine, I was wondering if anyone could give me a good reason as to why a Tiger owner would purchase a second or third motorcycle. Sure, it may not corner as tight as a sportbike and may not have all of the comfort of a cruiser but overall, myTiger is a great combination of bikes. It's comfortable and if I want a little more in the twisties, I just drop the bags and it can dig in pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
An interesting question Arch,

I've had two bikes for about 10 or so years, my old Harley and my little XR200 dirt bike. It wasn't until 2004 that decided I shouldn't ride a 25 year old Harley to work 60 miles a day that I bought a Speed Triple. I commuted on that for almost 3 years, and then decided the Tiger was a good thing to have. It gave me the ability to get the best out of touring, commuting and the occasional off road foray.

That being said, the Harley still goes out ever other week, the XR not as often but I do take it where the Tiger and Harley especially, would never be able to go.

I've got a hankering for a classic british bike to restore, but my garage is quite full at the moment so it's going to wait.

I don't think you should ever sell a bike, unless you really, really have to, and one bike is sometimes just the wrong ride for the mood, or the day.

Mick :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
A good question requiring a logical, well considered opinion. Here's my offering...

I have no clue why I have 3 bikes - I can only ride 1 at a time. Multi-bike syndrome strikes hard. :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Somewhere along the line one bike became two and eventually eight. Does one need that many? No, but one doesn't need a bike at all.
Each does something unique to that particular bike, something I like. Life is pretty short, I like motorcycles better than most any other hobby and its only money.
I guess my point of view is that I can't understand why anybody wouldn't want to have more than one bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is a good question....

For the last 7 years, I've ridden a 95 Tiger. Never had a single problem with it, and to this day I love to ride it. I've always been a one-bike guy, and recently I bought a new bike, with the intention of eventually selling my Tiger. I wanted something a little sportier - a little more "focused"....something that wasn't quite so "practical". And my new bike is that. It has an element of practicality, but MUCH less so than my Steamer - at least for the kind of riding I do most of the time.

But a funny thing happened once I got the new one home. As much as I love the new bike, I still like the riding experience of the Tiger just as much. The Tiger is a great all-around bike, with, of course, some limitations. Same with the new bike. So why keep both? For me, the sale value of the Tiger is far less than the memories I have with it, and the enjoyment I (still) get out of it. And both bikes are enjoyable and relaxing to ride for entirely different reasons. I've found that what started as sort of a logical, "catch-all", do-anything bike now fills a real part of what I like about riding motorcycles.

Can't see myself willingly selling it. Ever. But I love the new bike too. I'm going to keep riding them both.;)

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I agree the 1050 Tiger is such a good allrounder I also can't figure out what I'd have as a second bike (lucky I've got no money so it's a moot point at this time).

I *really* like the GSX1400. hey are a well sorted naked bike - although being discontinued after this year. It is too near the Tiger as an allrounder, and I don't see myself on a hard core sports bike so I'm, at a loss to pick another model.....

Let me know what you work out. :D

Russ

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had my 03 Tiger for just over a year and done about 15'000 miles on her and I love the comfort on long trips and the fact that I can load her up and she doesn't grumble but I have also been wanting to do a bit of serious offroad riding so I recently bought a KLR650 which is also ideal for quick trips around town leaving the Tiger for longer journeys where comfort and power are more of an issue.

Trouble is now I am getting the urge to test ride a KTM 990 adventure, the new street triple r is a nice looking bike and that Steve Mcqueen style Scrambler that Jack lilley have just put together is sweet, if money was no option I would have a whole fleet of bikes, all shapes and all sizes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since I think we may all agree that a Tiger is a pretty good all around machine, I was wondering if anyone could give me a good reason as to why a Tiger owner would purchase a second or third motorcycle. Sure, it may not corner as tight as a sportbike and may not have all of the comfort of a cruiser but overall, myTiger is a great combination of bikes. It's comfortable and if I want a little more in the twisties, I just drop the bags and it can dig in pretty good.
My first bike was a 66 BSA Victor that I bought for $200 with a frozen engine when I got back from Nam in 1970. I still own it.
My second was a 64 Triumph 650 Tiger that I bought in 1975 for $175 from a friend who was trying to get a bike that would outrun my Victor. It wouldn't- I had the Victor rebored by a master mechanic in Indiana and it would outrun almost anything. The dealer in Dana Point said it was the fastest Victor he had ever ridden. I still own it as well as the 64 Tiger.
My third was a 1969 Norton 750S that I bought about 10 years ago. I always wanted a 1970 yellow 750S since I first saw them advertised when I was in Nam in 69-70. They were the fastest bike that year- even faster than the roadster model. I just rode it yesterday. It's still a fast bike; when you open it up in any gear it feels like you are going off the back and the bike is going to run away down the highway.
BUT two years ago I was driving a chase vehicle for a Copper Canyon trip in Mexico and I got bitten by the dual purpose bug. However I didn't want a BMW or KLR which is what all my friends were riding so I bought a 2006 Scrambler. I have done some mods to it and it will go anywhere my buddies KTMs and 1200 GS's will go.
BUT top end was limited to about 105MPH and I wanted something a little quicker for the mostly highway riding I do so I found a 2001 lime green Tiger in Atlanta with less than 11,000 miles on it. It had a new engine installed by Triumph in 2004 at 3,500 miles because of an engine leak so it only had about 7,500 miles on the engine when I bought it. It also had Tourtech engine guards, heated grips, flicker high beams, turn signal cancellers, center stand and all the luggage- top case as well as side bags in lime green. I've since added a Corbin seat and a Thunderbike exhaust. It now has 26,000 miles on it.
So in answer to your question "Why own more than one bike?"
I don't know. As I was riding my Norton yesterday I was thinking how primitive and uncomfortable it is compared to either the Tiger or the Scrambler, but what a sound. Those scrambler pipes on the Norton are loud- even louder than my Scrambler TORs. And it's a matter of history and heritage not only for British bikes, but also times in my life when I couldn't afford the bikes I really wanted. I have thought about selling the Norton- in fact I thought of it yesterday after I came back from my ride and it had sprayed oil all over my rear tire from overfilling and it was making strange noises like the chain was too slack (but it wasn't) and the electrical system stopped charging There is always something going wrong with the old Brit bikes and as far as daily drivers they suck, but they sure are fun and they get a lot of attention. That's one reason I like the new Scrambler. Most people don't know it's a new one- they think I've restored it. You would think anyone who knows anything about bikes would see the disc brakes and know it's not an old one, but it fools everyone who sees it. I've gotten tired of people asking what year it is so now I tell them it's a 66.
I think the real question for me is why own a truck? I have only put 15,000 miles on my Honda Ridgeline in 3 years and I put more than that on just my Tiger this past year. I have 13,000 on my Scrambler after two years. I'm thinking of letting it go back to Honda when my lease is up in January- I have the option of keeping it if I want. I will say that as far as offroad the Scrambler feels much more capable than the Tiger primarily because of the seat height.
PG

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Think sometimes the mood just strikes for something different. Along with my 06 Tiger I own a 07 America. Totally different riding style. I enjoy riding the America primarily around town or just when I feel in a rather laid back mood.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well I have my Triumph Sprint as it's so soft and comfy to ride, brilliant two up with my young daughter on the back and it'll be a classic soon, it gets lots of attention as it is due to its amazing condition.

I have the SV1000 for its sharp handling, instant power and loony riding.

Besides, you need a spare bike for when your working on the other one don't you.

Pete

·
Registered
194 Posts
I can't believe I've just bought a 2nd bike

A very apt thread for me personally. I've loved my 955i Tiger for 3 years now, and never owned such a multi-purpose bike before.

Although I've always harboured a secret lust for a Speed Triple (&, to a lesser extent almost every other bike that isn't mine - I suppose there's a woman analogy thing going on here), financial parsimony (I'm from Yorkshire) has prevented me from indulging the lust.

Until today. Out of curiosity I went to try a Street Triple R, loved it but wouldn't replace the Tiger with one, then 2 things happened. One, my wife (Temptress) rang and said "Why not treat yourself"; two, the salesman (Satan) said "We're desparate to shift this Speed Trip, try it & we can do a special deal". Oh my. A great experience trying them both back to back. The Street is brilliant, the Speed is better.

So I now have 2 Trumps sat in the garage. There was a time when one car was an extravagance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Funnily enough, I've been wondering about an SV1000 to keep my Tiger company. :)
I'm sure Pete will agree... the SV1000 is an absolute blast... and a superb all-rounder (though more sport focused)...

Can't resist... here's what mine (2003 model) looked like before I sold it in 2006 (wish I kept it):

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just Because....

Owning multiple bikes has it's perks.

Though my Tiger is the work horse and serves as the daily driver/kid hauler/distance touring machine, there's a lot to be said about having options. Especially when it comes to down time for maintenance, I'm still mobile.

I'm almost exclusively two wheel in my daily life, regardless of the weather. The truck's on a battery tender just because it doesn't get used. I think I put a grand total of 3k miles on it last year....

The Harley is the weekend and good weather bike just because I like to adjust my riding style to the "flavor of the day". Plus, both the wife and the kid enjoy it's set-up and comfort. It's been a great machine, low maintenance and comfortable for all day rides. It's mileage is better than my Tiger's and sometimes I just want to ride something different.

The Thunderbird is a classic, plain and simple. I've brought it back from a basket case and have a bond with it that always brings a smile to my face and I simply enjoy riding it. But..... it's an around town bike and I tend to share it with my wife, who's adopted it as her own. She's very comfortable on it and has asked me to hang saddle bags on it for her so she can use it for commuting to work, or running around town. She looks good on it too.... so that's a bonus....

The Tiger is just a wonderful machine, we all know why we own one (or two....). In a self-analysis, I'd have to say owning more than just the Tiger allows me flexibility and each of my bikes complement the other very nicely.

Give one up? Not willingly. But if one had to go for whatever reason, it would be the Harley. The wife's not giving up the Thunderbird, and the Tiger's versatility just can't be beat. Deep down inside, I know I'm a Triumph guy, but I'm not brand-blind either.

Everyone has their reasons, but for me it's more of an addiction....

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
An old "car-nut" friend of mine (who had many autos--most of them antiques) once said, "No justification is needed for getting another car--just wanting it is justification in itself."

If you are really looking for a reason, this old man has two bikes so I have one to ride while doing the maintenance on the other. :D Works fine until you come to the mileage for the next major maintenance for both at the same time.:mad: I'm doing the 24k on the Bonneville and waiting a bit on the 12K on the Tiger.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funnily enough, I've been wondering about an SV1000 to keep my Tiger company. :)
That's it! It's like dogs, you need a second one to keep the first one company when you're away...umm but wait, if you're away you've taken the bike with you, so that means you need THREE.

Tom, that's hardcore! Your CAGE is on a battery tender. WOW.

·
Registered
137 Posts
blesk - I ride every day unless there's ice on the roads. The bikes get a lot of miles, but it's my preferred mode of travel. I've been on two wheels since 1989, it's a passion and a way of life for me. I have all weather gear, the bikes are always maintained and stand ready. I'm glad my wifes shares the same thoughts, we enjoy riding together, though she's prone to cage it in her Nissan more often in cooler and wet weather. Next year the Nissan lease ends and we're not getting another cage, she'll use the truck if needed.

The truck's there for road side emergencies and breakdowns that can't be fixed on the spot, dump runs and general house maintenance work. The battery tender keeps it ready for use......

Here's a quick pic of us with the battleship USS North Carolina and two of our trusty Triumphs.

There's definate value in owning more than one bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe I'm bi-polar

Even though I don't have my Tiger (yet), I will probably never be without at least two bikes. Right now we have three in the garage. My CBR600F2 Super sport, believe it or not, that's my practical commuter. I have a midnight Virago, it's a custom cruiser project, and the wife's motorscooter. I need one bike to be fun and pragmatic (I will replace the CBR with a Tiger) and one just to look good around town. My look good bike doesn't have to be comfortable or practical, just garner attention.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The SV is a very good bike, much under-rated. There are loads of other good bikes out there but the SV does have characture, some say it's a poor mans Ducati but I think it's better than a Ducati as it's cheaper to buy,run and service. With good tires and the suspension set up correctly it handles great.

Belive me, I could have any bike I want and while there are several bikes I'd also like to own, funnily enought the Triumph Tiger is one of them, I've had the SV for over 5 years now and 32,000 miles, done sefveral long 3000 mile european trips on it and I'm keeping it for many years to come.

There is a superb web site for them... www.sv-portal.com well worth a visit. You can pick up used SV's dirt cheap as you can most second hand bikes at the moment

Kurgan, that looks like a really nice naked SV you had there, why on earth did you let that go ?

Pete

1 - 20 of 30 Posts