Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1971 triumph tr6r
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hand Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire

Automotive tire Crankset Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Bumper Window

Hey everyone.
When I first got my 71 tr6r about a month ago I found it was rather hard to pull up and let off centre stand. I thought it was normal as it is a higher bike. Until I noticed it was leaning. I pulled the stand off tonight and it appears to be twisted or bent. Has anyone else has this happen or know of an east fix? Or should I be looking for a new stand. Brackets on frame seem to be straight I think Although, the first pic (stopper part?)seems like it could be chipped a bit I think.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Hi,
centre stand
twisted or bent. Has anyone else has this happen
Yes.

east fix?
Take it to a blacksmith or farrier. Advise him/her the three parts are brazed together (so s/he doesn't get it so hot the braze melts). Take his/her advice whether you need to supply a rod to keep the threaded ends aligned during heating and straightening. S/He will (should) heat it complete in the furnace then it can be straightened easily. Once cool, it'll just need a repaint/powder-coat.

(stopper part?)seems like it could be chipped a bit
If you look at the tops of the legs, you'll see the front edge/corner is rounded but the end at the rear is a square corner; it's the top edge of this corner butting up against the frame that sets the stand's 'level' when it's retracted. Stands can retract high enough the chain rubs on the drive-side 'foot'; if this happens, find someone (the aforementioned blacksmith or farrier?) who can dollop a lump of braze on the top of each leg by the square corner (braze is preferable to weld because it's quicker to file down). Refit the stand and file the braze a little at time 'til the stand retracts as high as possible with out the 'foot' hitting the chain. (y) Bit tedious to do but when it's done, it's done.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
1971 triumph tr6r
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Yes.

Take it to a blacksmith or farrier. Advise him/her the three parts are brazed together (so s/he doesn't get it so hot the braze melts). Take his/her advice whether you need to supply a rod to keep the threaded ends aligned during heating and straightening. S/He will (should) heat it complete in the furnace then it can be straightened easily. Once cool, it'll just need a repaint/powder-coat.

If you look at the tops of the legs, you'll see the front edge/corner is rounded but the end at the rear is a square corner; it's the top edge of this corner butting up against the frame that sets the stand's 'level' when it's retracted. Stands can retract high enough the chain rubs on the drive-side 'foot'; if this happens, find someone (the aforementioned blacksmith or farrier?) who can dollop a lump of braze on the top of each leg by the square corner (braze is preferable to weld because it's quicker to file down). Refit the stand and file the braze a little at time 'til the stand retracts as high as possible with out the 'foot' hitting the chain. (y) Bit tedious to do but when it's done, it's done.

Hth.

Regards,
this is great info.
thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts