Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance on this :D

Are the older classics running on a triple while the new ones like '08 or '09 ones are on twins?

Reason why I asked was that I saw a old T-bird which I thought I saw a triple header pipes underneath and it had amazing accelerating from idle...and boy for a budding trumpie owner like myself, it just made me drool much more..

Any one to confirm?

·
Registered
442 Posts
The first Hinkley T-Bird that was in the 90's was a triple. It was dropped from the line and now for 2010 is a twin. The original Meriden Triumph line had a T-bird that was a twin.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice note...other than a shot from the past to switch line back to twin, was the acceleration compromised in some ways? Like lesser ponies and such?

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
The 885cc carbed engines are great - they went in a bunch of models from Triumph....

Thunderbird / Thunderbird Sport
Legend
Adventurer
Sprint 900
Trident

The classic triples forum is full of people who love those machines. They are now a little older, as production stopped for most of those models in the early 90's ( I think, may have been mid 90's ). So, if you can find them for sale, it may be a bike you will have to do a few more things to, maintenance wise vs the newer twins.

The triple forum is full of people who do their own wrenching and the only job I've heard of being difficult is the center spark plug.

There are a number of us twin owners who would love a triple as well. My personal want is a Thunderbird Sport... I had to go kind of far-and-wide to get my twin, I may have to go gar and wide to find a triple, someday, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'd love to see a triple in the Bonnie frame, like the old Trident.

A Trident that I found at a recent hot rod show.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the first Hinckley Triumphs in the USA were Triples as mentioned above. I beleve the new Bonnie (twin) appeared in '01. I think the first triples appeared in 94/95. I've had a '96 Trident 900, 2 '98 TBirds and a '99 Speed Triple. I desperately wish I'd kept my 2nd '98 TBird. The Tridents & early Speed Triples will go like all hell and sound like God w/ pipe and rejet. The TBirds are very quick and as hundreds have commented, overbuilt and super-reliable. The new Thunderbird bears nothing in common with the earlier TBirds and I personally wished they would've named it differently...something like "The PirateBird".

·
Registered
04 Speedmaster, 05 Tiger
336 Posts
I've got 3 of them, if they don't leak they're out of oil!

·
Registered
763 Posts
The newer 955's and 1050's pump out some serious power and don't leak! :)

I think something like a Scrambler or Bonnie with the 1050 would be terrific! Almost went with a Tiger when I bought my Scrambler... It produced all the power I want in a bike, but the Scram looked and felt better to me.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
The newer 955's and 1050's pump out some serious power and don't leak! :)

I think something like a Scrambler or Bonnie with the 1050 would be terrific! Almost went with a Tiger when I bought my Scrambler... It produced all the power I want in a bike, but the Scram looked and felt better to me.

Regards, Guy
Well, as we used to say back in my youth, " Anything'll fit if you drop it from high enough!" but I think you'd have to drop it from a looong ways up! Seriously though, the bare motor would probably be doable but adding the airbox, rad, oil cooler and computer would make it a huge project. Possibly build a custom frame with twin shocks and retro tank would work. Seems to me there was a custom builder in the UK that was doing a cafe racer based on the Sprint RS some years ago.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'd think a scrambler-type with the 675 mill from the Street3 would be about perfect. Light, flickable, and with a 19" front wheel it would be a blast. The long-awaited Tiger Cub

1 - 14 of 14 Posts