Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i keen to share my idea for twin-sparking my bonneville by removing secondary air and threading the hole that is left to fit sparking-plug. Igniting any unburnt fuel is a good thing-think two stroke! Have spliced into existing HT lead with smaller wiring to create smaller secondary spark. result-more power, lower down torque and smoother delivery. Am thinking of using colder plug for secondary, but am pleased with reult so far so wll see.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Quite an opening post. :)
Interesting. Is your bike fuel injected or carbed?
Why do you believe a cooler heat range for secondary plug would be beneficial?
I guess what is unclear to me is why a spark plug in that port would have any further benefit? Does anybody have a picture of the underside of the cylinder head showing the relationship of the AI threaded hole to the combustion chamber?
Cheers,
George

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Have you done a before and after dyno? What about emissions readings?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
My experience with dual plugging bikes is limited to airhead bmws, where the dual plugging is performed to reduce detonation when bumping compression, where crap fuel is only available, or in lieu of fixing the real issue causing pinging in R60/5,6,7 variants. Traditional dual plugging on those machines placed the second plug 180 degrees from the primary plug port (in relation to the valves).

I'd be interested in seeing some sort of documented improvement in power development for this change...the plug & air injection port are right next to each other and, intuitively, doesn't seem like the ideal arrangement for a dual plug situation.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
hi, i keen to share my idea for twin-sparking my bonneville by removing secondary air and threading the hole that is left to fit sparking-plug. Igniting any unburnt fuel is a good thing-think two stroke! Have spliced into existing HT lead with smaller wiring to create smaller secondary spark. result-more power, lower down torque and smoother delivery. Am thinking of using colder plug for secondary, but am pleased with reult so far so wll see.

Sorry Rocktooee your seat of the pants dyno ain't working very well, you have no "more power, lower down torque and smoother delivery". What you do have is a compromised ignition system and a spark plug firing in the exhaust port.

You must have cut a thread in the AI holes for the spark plugs without removing the head, dangerous business if some of the swarf drops past open valves in to the chamber.:eek:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sorry Rocktooee your seat of the pants dyno ain't working very well, you have no "more power, lower down torque and smoother delivery". What you do have is a compromised ignition system and a spark plug firing in the exhaust port.

You must have cut a thread in the AI holes for the spark plugs without removing the head, dangerous business if some of the swarf drops past open valves in to the chamber.:eek:
Unless there is some tiny plug that actually fits in that hole?? I've seen some small plugs on, say, weed wackers??

But yeah, his dyno is faulty... and the point of the AI kit is to REDUCE the burning of gasses in the exhaust. Maybe we're trying to make a HD note?

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
yall just wait and see when he hooks that baby up to the flux capacitor and cuts in the after burner.
Guys use to put spark plugs in the tail pipe of hot rods to make flame throwers . wait till he blows the headers off then he will have some boost lol.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wait - he said smoother delivery, didn't he? I would guess that is because he's only getting half the power (spark wise) because the coil is firing two plugs. Maybe that is the solution for people who want LESS power on the Bonneville? Its an anti-upgrade.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Let's be nice and give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Let's hear what he actually did. Or at least let's help him fix what he did.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I hate to discourage anyone on their first post.

Tomorrow I will post a pic looking into the exhaust port...so you all can see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.