Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to keep my 67 Bonnie unaltered, but would also like to improve the braking. I've got a chance to pick up a twin leading shoe front wheel. Does anyone know if that hub/brake backing plate and axle and stock brake cable will fit and work on my stock 67 front forks?
Thanx
Dog

·
Registered
482 Posts
It will fit perfectly, however if you have the flanged hub already which was standard then, you only need to fit the brakeplate and nothing else. The flange is on the brakeplate side and carries the spokes. The tls arrangement was a dealer fitment later in the year as people were waiting for the '68 version with the tls as standard and sales were poor for the '67, so Triumph realised this and sent large consignments of the brakes to their distributors, thus a '67 with a tls brakeplate is not incorrect!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
TBS, that's the first time I've heard that upgrade being a late-year dealer item.
Ditto - I know our shop never had the TLS made available to us in California, and we were a moderate sized dealer. As I recall, we didn't have a lot of 40" '67's sitting around unsold, just some of the 500's. Perhaps sales were slow in UK in '67?

Dick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx!!

Great wealth of info - Thanx! (btw - this bike was originally sold in southern Cal. I bought it in 68 then later, got into other bikes and it sat - till my neighbor who had a bike shop asked if he could borrow it for a show on TV - was used on Happy Days for several years, then a movie, Coast to Coast. Got it back covered in some kind of black "makeup", sprayed on for the movie.)
Thanx again. I'll definitely post more questions. Last time I worked on it, there wasn't any internet!!
dog

·
Registered
625 Posts
Where was it used on Happy Days? The Fonz rode a 500 ... was it Pinky's bike or something? :)

Actually ... I once read that Henry Winkler was SOO deathly afraid of motorcycles that, for the one shot they needed of him 'riding', they had to build a rig to have the bike SOLIDLY bolted to a flat bed ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy Days

It was just a background bike - I've watched a few episodes but never saw it. I did get a signed autograph of Winkler thanking me for it's use (my neighbor got paid for it, not me). I had heard that too that he didn't know how to ride. In the older shows, he's using a HD. In the Coast to Coast movie, Keenan Wynn is supposedly riding it with Robert Blake on the back.
Dog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where was it used on Happy Days? The Fonz rode a 500 ... was it Pinky's bike or something? :)

Actually ... I once read that Henry Winkler was SOO deathly afraid of motorcycles that, for the one shot they needed of him 'riding', they had to build a rig to have the bike SOLIDLY bolted to a flat bed ...
I heard in an interview with Winkler that the one and only scene where he was actualy riding (the one before every episode) he crashed the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts