Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,139 Posts
wol

C1 - BROWN/BLUE WIRES TO HORNS

C2- BROWN/BLUE "HOT" WIRE IN HARNESS

W1 - BROWN/BLACK? WIRE FROM HORN BUTTON

Always found it interesting how they mounted the relay in the frame.

K

· Registered
6,139 Posts
thanks for the info on the Nikko YP horns - will see what i can find
Nothing wrong with the NIKKO horns they make noise.

For what its worth if you are going to use the stock bracket (83-1254) I would suggest the addition of a small brace from the base to the bent parts. I have repeatedly seen the bracket break at the bends. I would also suggest safety wiring the horn bodies to the bike. As when the bracket or horn bracket breaks (note I didn't say if) you will not have a scratched fender or lost horn. Been there done that.

Regarding the 1970 T120 horns. Early models (up to about January 1970 builds used the Dome Style horn Stuart mentions (part numbers 60-2256 & 60-2257 . The 2256 was a Clear Hooter P201 and the 2257 was a Clear Hooter P101) About December 1969/January 1970 there was a problem with the previously mentioned horns.

Was it a horn availability or horn quality problem I do not know. I suspect it may have been the bracket breaking due to the horn weight.

Regardless about January 1970 Triumph starting using Clear Hooter horns Triumph part numbers 60-2623 & 60-2624 (Clear Hooter part numbers HF80 lo note & HF80 high note) These are the same horns used on 1971 and later T150's These horn resemble the LUCAS 6H and is where the confusion comes from.

1970 was a long production year with many running production line changes that were not necessarily documented properly.

K

· Registered
6,139 Posts
sorry Kadutz for the miscredit on the strengthening of the bracket

just received a NOS bracket as my T120R did not come with one -- now i have it in front of me i can see it is poory designed -- the part that is "bent" has just a partial shear that provides a stess point that obviously is just waiting to break --- i think i will drill it to stop the shear point cracking and spark a weld on it too
Not a problem & you are very welcome.

Its your bike do as you wish. I still suggest a brace to dampen the vibrations. Also be aware there were two versions of the 83-1254 bracket. The second version was supposed to have been strengthened.( I have the starting VIN number at home) I don't think it made much difference. I always felt the real problem was the weight of the horns & vibration.

But be aware it is not just the horn bracket that lets go. The brackets attached to the horns break also. I remember one day looking down and seeing one of my horns dangling in the breeze at 65 mph.

K

· Registered
6,139 Posts
wol

Earlier I mentioned a VIN number when the bracket that was number ED44339. The change was two sliding brackets were fitted to the horn brackets. I have never been able to locate updated part numbers for this.
But then I have never been able to come up with the part number for the all chrome lifting handle used on the early build 1970 models. There is one of those on a '70 T120R for sale on US EBay (#273812830452). That bike has a VIN JD25991. I have only seen a few of these all chrome one piece handles and the bikes VIN has been in the first two months of the 1970 model year build.

K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.