Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to sort out the correct wiring for the horn relay on my 1970 T120R - its a Genuine Lucas relay marked 6 RV - when i google it i find the POD in his infinite wisdom used 6RA as a reference for a multitude of relays and other items mainly with 4 conns so no help
-- my relay has 3 connections C1 -- C2 and W1
-- any one know what wires go where ?
- pic is attatched - ignore my scribbles in the backround

Attachments

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks K - i thought C1 was to the horns but unsure which was which on the other two

regarding the relay position - i have found two options - pics attatched

above the coils is where mine came fitted but i am going to use the other position because i am going to fit a reg/rec in the position above the coils

Attachments

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the smaller picture is one i found ontinternt - just to find evidence of how the parts in the parts book fit together - the thin "L" shaped braket i think is a home made jobbie and does not look quite right but close enough -- i think i will have to make one too as i cant find one as yet

What horns ? - good question - havent got any that would pass as original - for now i will be fitting a pair of cheapies from China , at least they are light, being smaller ( even so the riveted on mounting brackets eventually crack but at less than two squid each delivered what can you expect)- will be looking out for some "proper" ones - but prices are scarey!

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stuart - thanks for the tip about strengthening the bracket -- i have been aware of breakages relating to the twin horn assy but never known "wot broke" -- this is the first twin horn assy i have said so never previously though about confirming where the failure occurs

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry Kadutz for the miscredit on the strengthening of the bracket

just received a NOS bracket as my T120R did not come with one -- now i have it in front of me i can see it is poory designed -- the part that is "bent" has just a partial shear that provides a stess point that obviously is just waiting to break --- i think i will drill it to stop the shear point cracking and spark a weld on it too

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i believe you are correct in that its the weight of the horn playing the the biggest part in causing fractures --- i will be fitting a pair of horns but they will be small lightweght ones ( about 2 1/2 inch diameter) -- its the type i fit to all my bikes as i think the original ones look far too cluncky and not that good in the noise department

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got all the parts together and have now mounted the brackets and lightweight horns -- i am hoping they will be light enough so the bracket does not break -- although i will no be too surprised if the horn itself makes a break for freedom at some time

-- more pics in my "ifibuiditwill it run " build thread

Attachments

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Stuart - good point on the relay - will consider turning it "upside down" - will see how the wiring looks - but have to admit its unlikely that i would ride this bike in the rain (yes you can get caught out when a fine day turns moist)

those horns are only about 2 squid each - if the bracket breaks its not easy or worth repairing - i normally just let them bounce down the road and fit a new one (having said that , the one on my hooligan T140 has lasted well so far - unfortunately that cannot be said about its rear light and number plate)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.