Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to convert my Speedie so the 2 head lights are on together instead of 1 for low and 1 for high beam. Looking through some kits on e bay everythings there but for 2 relays which need plugging into some empty slots. Anyone on here done this and know what relays I need instead of buying the over priced kits?

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
I would like to convert my Speedie so the 2 head lights are on together instead of 1 for low and 1 for high beam. ...
:confused:
US bikes are defininitely both lights on in either low or main beam - I really didn't realize that Brit bikes have alternate lights for low & main. (although when I think of it I do seem to recall one of the Sprint guys mentioning something about this)

To have both operate you need relays 1 & 2 and also fuse #1 (15A) in place. And of course the bulbs have to be dual filament on each side. I'm assuming the wiring is there and common for both US & British market bikes & the slots just need to be populated.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
US bikes are defininitely both lights on in either low or main beam - I really didn't realize that Brit bikes have alternate lights for low & main. (although when I think of it I do seem to recall one of the Sprint guys mentioning something about this)

To have both operate you need relays 1 & 2 and also fuse #1 (15A) in place. And of course the bulbs have to be dual filament on each side. I'm assuming the wiring is there and common for both US & British market bikes & the slots just need to be populated.

1/ Bit bikes do seem to be alternate lights as mine deffinately is.

2/ Thanks for the relay and fuse info, that's a good start.

3/ The standard bulbe are duel filliment and the wireing seems all present, from the info on the kits all you need is their relays.

4/ All I need now is universal part numbers or details for the relays thanks.:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
[/IMG]

Sure about that? Mine is right light only on dim and both on bright. Never saw an early 955i that was different.

Of course I've only ever seen three other pre-2002s on the road so I could be wrong there.

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Sure about that? .
Absolutely.
Mine is now 02+ configuration but it was like this in original configuration & this circuit is the same for 1st & 2nd gen anyway - not only does mine work that way, more importantly the electrical schematic also validates it.

If yours doesn't, either your relay is bad or your low beam bulb is blown on left side

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
I always thought the UK Speed Triples (unlike the faired Triumphs) had both lights on at the same time? Maybe one of the poms can confirm this? Even the UK marketing pics show them with both lights on.

EU regs meant that all EU bikes where the lights are enclosed in a fairing were only allowed one dipped headlight on. On the Tiger 1050, Sprint, Daytona 675 etc that`s an expensive fix requiring an 'eclipse' modulator. I believe they are shipped worldwide like this.

All the 955 Sprints that were shipped to Aus, like the Brit ones only had the one headlight on. I`ve done the mod on my 01 and 04 Sprints in the past, which as DEcosse says, is a simple mattter of plugging in 1 relay into the empty socket. The relay cost $7 from an auto parts store and took 1 min to fit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Absolutely.
Mine is now 02+ configuration but it was like this in original configuration & this circuit is the same for 1st & 2nd gen anyway - not only does mine work that way, more importantly the electrical schematic also validates it.

If yours doesn't, either your relay is bad or your low beam bulb is blown on left side
Oh great now I have to get the bible out and look at this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hella 4RA-003-510-08 or equivelant

Excellent, thanks. That's the same part number for both I presume. Off to see mate at parts store tomorow to get bits for GF's car, will ask for them whilst there and only pay £2 each or so instead of £25 for the pair.:)

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Oh great now I have to get the bible out and look at this.
Here you go (dotted lines are the speed triple circuit vs the Daytona in 'solid')

You can see that in either case for the main or low beam, when one lamp is powered directly (from the hi/lo switch), the alternate one is powered via the relay (18 or 19 accordingly)

In this diagram I have highlighted (for the low beam circuit) the primary light circuit in red and the secondary (via the relay) in pink.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Crap knew there was something I forgot to do today.

I beleive you, just have to see if it's the bulb or the relay which should take all of about 3 minutes 8).

Working graveyards this week, so I'm still trying to get used to the schedule and it's reducing productivity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Forgotten before but just got the relays today. The Hella part number posted before is superseded by a new one ending in 001 instead of 008. This new number is equal to Lucas part number SRB523 or Durite part number 0-727-62. (AKA standard 4 post 30 amp relay).

Looking at my wiring diagram for the 2002 UK model speed triple 955i the head lamps are wired alternate directly off the switch. To make them both work together the relays are required and fuse 1. If any of these are missing or faulty then you end up with what I have. I'm not sure what I'm going to find when I tear into the bike tomorrow but seems these are maybe missing or the fuse supplying the relays has failed; What's the chance of both relays being faulty? (Wish me luck).

I bought a PDF format manual, excellent piece of kit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that was an easy farkle. Seems that Mr. Triumph just misses the relays for the UK market or at least he did in 2002. The fuses and wiring are all there but the relays are missing. I just installed the 2 universal relays as listed before in this thread and that's it. This took all of about 5 minuets.

The relay spaces before install outside the right hand rail under the front seat.

Relays installed.

Low beam test.

High beam test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if this thread will help any others. I did look through but couldn't see anything before to help me. It is a really easy thing to do and is made easier by all the wiring being in place.

More to follow on other farkles such as full Autocom with bluetooth, PTT and bike to bike radio, Garmin Zumo 550 and power outlet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts