Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's actually a Scrambler but for the purpose of this exercise, same thing. I was wondering if anyone had done the mods needed to fit twin discs to the Triumph forks, eg, weld on lugs and do whatever must be done to the hub to bolt up another disc. Before I hear any cries of "not possible", it used to be a common mod to single disc bikes years ago. Dave

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have a look here Dave http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/118247-dual-disk-bonnie.html
I guess it would be possible to weld lugs on the other leg but for the amount of rooting about that would cause a front end swap would be a better option. You can put anything you like on it with varying amounts of engineering.
Check out a Norman Hyde Brembo conversion or a Beringer disc & 6 piston caliper as an option first....especially if this is all about stopping power.........both of those should be able to send you over the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
style or function ? my 6 pot Pretech with 14 mm Nissin master cylinder and stock rotor can lift the back end up with a Michelin Pilot Road 2CT 120 mm front tire. and i'm 200 lbs with gear. do you really need more than that ? my bike does better than 222 km/h as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Rotors

Dave, from your resent photo's, Iam assuming you still use the Triumph 2 piston sliding with floating ebc Bonneville/Scrambler/Speedmaster/America 310mm rotor. Available for racing is the EBC 320mm iron floating disc rotor for the Thruxton.
Also available is the BrakeTech 320mm ductile iron for the Thruxton. BrakeTech also do a CMC Ceramic Matrix Composite brake rotor which can weigh as much as 1 kilogram less the a stock stainless rotor, check it out! With a six piston Beringer or Pretech caliper you would not need a twin disc setup, also consider the 3 piston nissin caliper from certain Honda motorcycles

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=95

http://www.braketech.com/images/docs/bt-euro_apps.9-11.pdf

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/190917-three-piston-caliper-revisited.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/191372-brake-upgrade.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/190458-three-piston-caliper-swap.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/183047-front-break-kits-for-new-bonnevilles.html

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
+1 on what NorthernThrux said...

...style or function?

Pretech's 6-piston caliper bolts straight on and take cheap and readily available EBC FA190 HH (sintered) pads. Dump the weedy 11mm Nissin master cylinder and replace it with a 14mm one (off, for instance, a Speed Triple - about £20 on ebay) and you'll only need more stopping power if you're Mr. Rossi.

Of course, if you do the brakes, you're really gonna need to sort out the front suspension in order to get the best out of it (even a fairly cheap fix such as a basic set of Progressive springs and some slightly heavier fork oil will go a long way).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Nope

The others have it. Mind if you are an engineer who can pass all the mods that might be a different matter. With the talk that has been on the web re: insurance i think this would be very debatable. I have a 3 pot Nissin and cant see that you could use more than that.
If you want an aesthetic look then you might be best to look at aset of forks from another bike that will fit.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I'm looking at going down the same route myself and have been doing some research on ideas for a bit now.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I too am interested in doing a bit better in the front brake, but I don't want to go the whole route of changing the forks out for a twin disc setup, nor do I have the $700+ for a Berringer/Pretech aftermarket caliper. Apparently most of the Hondas that act as donors for 3-piston calipers are not marketted here in the US, but I did find this potential unit, courtesy of Beemerrich:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1645-honda-2009-dn-01-nsa700a/assemblies/20467

It should fit, and at < $300 delivered it may be a viable option, but I'd like a little more proof of that before I lay out the jack. It'd also be nice to know if it's black (preferred).

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Eric,

I'm going to hold off on ordering one of these calipers until I can get to a Honda dealer and confirm part numbers/caliper application/color. Looking at the DN-1 caliper link you posted, it appears the caliper is either linked or anti-lock brake compatible...the NSA-700A (DN-1) has both I believe. These calipers are always gold in color in any photos I've seen.

My thought is that now that the NT-700V is available in the states, the 3 piston caliper off of one of those will work. These are non-abs bikes and the calipers appear to be a dark grey color in the few photos I've found. A link is here:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/12380-honda-2010-nt700v-nt700v/assemblies/240957

However, I don't trust this vendor to send the correct part since both the NT-700V (standard brakes) and the NT-700VA (anti-lock brakes) are listed having the same part number for the left caliper...both parts diagrams also show an extra fluid port with destination designation. Hence, the need to verify with Honda.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Dual disk brakes

If'n I ever get around to sorting the F3 front & rear wheels I have for my thruxton, I might very well run the honda fork sliders to allow for dual front disk brakes. A pair of the aforementioned 3-piston calipers fitted to the honda fork sliders will undoubtably make for some serious stoppie action.

To the best of my knowledge, going the honda F3 route is about the cheapest way to a dual disk front end...

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Eric,

I'm going to hold off on ordering one of these calipers until I can get to a Honda dealer and confirm part numbers/caliper application/color. Looking at the DN-1 caliper link you posted, it appears the caliper is either linked or anti-lock brake compatible...the NSA-700A (DN-1) has both I believe. These calipers are always gold in color in any photos I've seen.

My thought is that now that the NT-700V is available in the states, the 3 piston caliper off of one of those will work. These are non-abs bikes and the calipers appear to be a dark grey color in the few photos I've found. A link is here:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/12380-honda-2010-nt700v-nt700v/assemblies/240957

However, I don't trust this vendor to send the correct part since both the NT-700V (standard brakes) and the NT-700VA (anti-lock brakes) are listed having the same part number for the left caliper...both parts diagrams also show an extra fluid port with destination designation. Hence, the need to verify with Honda.

Cheers,

--Rich
I think what you need to look for are calipers with only one bleed nipple, if it has two it is from the combined braking system (CBS), if the passages in the lugs adjacent to the centre cylinder are drilled for feed & bleed it won't work (at least not without modification). Later calipers from the combined ABS (C-ABS) bikes, or at least the ones I've seen, don't have the centre cylinder linked to the rear system so will work. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've always thought my Thruxton was under-braked, plus the front-end tends to get a bit twisty when braking in corners.
I've probably been spoilt with the massive twin disc brembo set-up on the 900 Monster i had, before the Triumph.

Back in the mid-eighties, i used to do a front-end mod on the unit triumphs, bolting a Suzuki GT 250/380 on, all that was needed was a 10mm spacer above the top steering bearing and it all worked fine.

Wondering if something similar from a modern Jap might work, i'll have to do a bit of research sometime.

G ; )

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think what you need to look for are calipers with only one bleed nipple, if it has two it is from the combined braking system (CBS), if the passages in the lugs adjacent to the centre cylinder are drilled for feed & bleed it won't work (at least not without modification). Later calipers from the combined ABS (C-ABS) bikes, or at least the ones I've seen, don't have the centre cylinder linked to the rear system so will work. Hope that makes sense.
If that be the case, it appears the NT700V calipers won't work, as the schematics at both bikebandit and cheapcycleparts show the calipers as having two bleed valves. If it won't work, it won't work. Thanks for the info.

More research, must do more research....

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Correct. Which is why I'm suspicious of the brake caliper diagrams shown by online vendors for the NT700V and NT700VA...they're both identical and they shouldn't be.

A trip to my friendly local Honda dealer will sort this out...

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I too am interested in doing a bit better in the front brake, but I don't want to go the whole route of changing the forks out for a twin disc setup, nor do I have the $700+ for a Berringer/Pretech aftermarket caliper.
Pretech 6-piston caliper is 240 GBP (or 370 American Money or 280 European Money) + VAT (sales tax) + delivery.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Pretech 6-piston caliper is 240 GBP (or 370 American Money or 280 European Money) + VAT (sales tax) + delivery.
The pretech caliper is $420 to the states from Triumph Twin power (which is actually less than I thought it would run). Bonneville owners would also need a $265 EBC floating rotor (delivered), for a total of $685...plus they would need to buy a thruxton/scrambler front fender to resolve the fouling on the stock fender braces.

Very few cheap solutions - with the 3 pot honda being the most affordable for those who can source a used unit.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Cheapest and easiest.

Not too sure about the colour myself but all i need to do is remove it a spary paint. Yeah ok cant see that happening too soon.

I have no idea how to do it but it can be done. E.bay on all markets you can put out an alert for a specific item and when one comes up you get a e.mail! Alternatively just do that on the UK site, thats where most end up.

Ventura seems to have the most knowledge on this swap and he has posted models etc, have a search.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
OK, just for sh!ts and giggles, let me ask you kind folks what you would expect to pay for a twin-rotor front end conversion?

Of course, the front hub would need to be replaced with a twin-rotor design. I suspect you would not want to reuse the same used single rotor, so two (2) new rotors would be required. Too hard or expensive to include a Speedmaster RH caliper to match your stock left, so figure-in two (2) new calipers as well. While you're at it, add in a new higher capacity master cylinder alone with new hoses. Oh yeah, there's the little issue of the lower fork legs. Here again, figure-in two (2) new lower legs to use with the stock uppers... but don't discount the fact you may need new upper legs to match the new lowers. What the 'ell, figure everything below the triple clamps to be new plus the m/c & hoses.

/M

1 - 20 of 23 Posts