Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference between using that red switch vs turning the key to off? Using the key is a PITA. You either have to put the bike in neutral or reach all the way around with your right hand. My strom is so easy because the key is centered under the speedo/tach. I don't hear any difference between the two methods. Either way the engine is cutting off. Thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you use the switch just don't forget to turn it back to the "ON" position. I forgot that once and was going mad over not getting the bike to start. I thought it was something seriously wrong with it. And it made me feel really stupid afterwards...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh man! maybe i need to swap the switch out for a yellow one! :idea: :-D

ok, thanks. I've heard in the past that it's not good to use that cut-off switch on a regular basis. But I couldn't figure out how there was any difference.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The ONLY reason I can think of for making it a habit to use the "kill switch" first, then the key.....

is to develop muscle memory in the event you are about to drop the bike,
with your hand holding the clutch lever in,
and the bike is falling out of your control as you lose your grip of the clutch lever.
D'OH!

If you can hit the kill switch right quick (without first having to think about it), then the bike is less likely to jump out from under you as it's falling.

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2007-03-11 10:37 ]

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I only use the key.Doesn`t the system stay "energized",but off with the switch thrown?I relocated my key while re-distributing the wiring harness for my new headlight.It is very handy up top and is only lacking a permanant mount.[I`m thinking of having a friend heliarc a bracket to the upper bar clamp,since homey don`t play dat...yet :lgh: ]

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2007-03-11 10:18, d2mini wrote:
oh man! maybe i need to swap the switch out for a yellow one! :idea: :-D

ok, thanks. I've heard in the past that it's not good to use that cut-off switch on a regular basis. But I couldn't figure out how there was any difference.
They "say" it's not good Dennis. But I was originally thinking kinda the same as FattRats thought. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use it just enough to stay rehearsed in the unfortunate event of an actual emergency. I always use the key w/ the bike in neutral first... but would be hard pressed to find the emergency shut-off if I actually needed to. :???:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The only reason i know of is that a switch will wear, and also the contacts will develop carbon which will eventually make for a intermittent contact. But the question is, how long before anything like that happens? I dunno, but i use mine because it's convenient, BUT, only in situations like getting gas where i know I'll be starting the bike back up in minutes. If i use it for example when i park it at home, i may forget the key is in it and leave it like that overnight. Not likely to happen with the dash lights on, but with the kill switch tripped the lights go out and you forget the key is still in it.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Stopping the engine with the kill switch leaves headlight and taillights turned on. Using the kill switch only is a good way to forget and leave your lights on .... and with small batteries like ours (10AH). it doesn't take long to discharge the battery.

Bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was surprised to read in the owners manual that I should use the key to turn off the ignition, not the kill switch. Surprised because when I bought my Harley they advised just the opposite.

So, I follow instructions and hope to find the answer to this and other life mysteries in heaven. :wink:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I was advised not to use the kill switch on my triple because of shutdown steps. Not a factor on the Bonnie.

I moved my key to the right hand side to be able to power off in first.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've read that you shouldn't use the kill switch to turn the bike off because it's not as robust a switch, not designed for frequent use, while the key/ignition is. My dealer always uses the kill switch, and leaves the bike in gear, which I find kinda aggravating when I go to pick it up after service. How long would the kill switch last if used instead of the key--I dont' know--I just have a routine of putting it in Neutral and turning it off with the key.

·
Registered
426 Posts
One always comes to a stop in first gear. The only way to use the key to shut off is to put the bike in neutral so that you can let go the clutch and turn the key.
So, you are leaving the bike with nothing holding it from rolling but the kickstand, which is hardly effective.

Come to a stop in first, drop the kick, get off the bike and remember the key. Don't worry about forgetting the key -you're too smart for that. :razz:

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Fattrat, I never thought about your angle of just getting used to killing the engine with the kill switch, so that one knows where it is and can go for it when "time is of the essence".

I've often wondered how fast I'd be able to hit that switch, and frankly don't think that the thought process would even start until I was long-separated from the bike. I was in one serious accident years ago and sure wasn't thinking about hitting the kill switch when I rode into the tree (that wasn't supposed to be there, in the middle of the road, in the dark).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I was told in my MSF equivalent course over here that certain bikes with electronic ignition can get all fubar-ed if you use the kill switch, but, like Mark, I can't remember if it was a specific make or not.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I have always thought that this was a funny thing. Like you said, Dennis, the stock location of the key makes it almost impossible to use to shut off the bike unless you are already in neutral. Who parks their bike in neutral on the street???

I only use the kill switch and kickstand.

I read somewhere that some models of bikes with computers get hosed up when shut off at the kill switch. Although, why anyone would make a motorcycle that can't handle getting shut off with a kill switch makes no sense to me either. :???:

·
Registered
778 Posts
My MSF course said to always use the kill switch to avoid doing something stupid, like releasing the clutch while in gear. I have a very hard time believing they would make this switch and have it be "bad" to use. I'd rather replace a switch than release the clutch with the bike in gear.

Why in world is the key is such a weird spot?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts