Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Street Triple is a naked bike. Most people that buy it do so because it's such. So why all the posts about wind screens, luggage, touring and such? There are bikes designed for that...the Street isn't one of them. This bike is a "day tripper". If desired, an Axio tail bag (or any tail bag) can be added, a windscreen can be added, a back pack can be worn, etc. Other than that...why try to turn a naked into a "tourer"?? :confused:

·
Registered
904 Posts
I agree. If serious touring is in the cards, there are much better options out there. One big reason a person rides a bike is to travel about in a minimalist fashion, to be "freed" from the norm. :)

Neanderthal

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I agree to an extent. Making permanent hardware changes to the bike to make it more touring oriented is kind of ridiculous.

Now there is a purpose to finding the best method to travel with the bike though. Considering most people will only travel on their bike once or twice a year for any distance requiring luggage. Most of the time they will be using the bike as it was designed to. Now if you are suggesting that a person should by a touring bike for those once or twice a year trips that's a bit ridiculous. Also as ridiculous would be to suggest someone buy a second bike to make those trips. Now if someone were planning on doing a lot of touring then this is most definitely the incorrect bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good point. I'll be picking up an r later this month, and one thing i've pledged to myself is not to farkle it up with touring extras like i did my previous bike, which at some point started to resemble a bus.:eek:
One thing I enjoyed on my test ride of the striple is how minimalist the bike is, which IMO lends to fun/intensity of the riding experience.

A Powerlet handlebar outlet might be nice for my Zumo and heated jacket. Oops, there I go again...:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
People personalize bikes because it's our nature. I'm wanting a windscreen because I like going a bit faster than legal and the wind gets tiring after a while. As far as luggage, I've toured the country several times on bikes w/cafe windscreens and a backpack. Up to two weeks at a time, come hell or high water.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
People personalize bikes because it's our nature. I'm wanting a windscreen because I like going a bit faster than legal and the wind gets tiring after a while. As far as luggage, I've toured the country several times on bikes w/cafe windscreens and a backpack. Up to two weeks at a time, come hell or high water.
That works and I don't think it's the point of this thread. I'm pretty sure they are referring to bolted on hard luggage and the such.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Each to their own. Surely that's all about being freed from the norm?

As for me, I'd only ever add touring stuff, to any of our bikes, that can be whipped off quickly so the soft luggage gets us to our destination then we can whip it off, ready to explore the local twisties. The only "bolted on thing" that I'm considering is the rack which I want for my tent (a bit like thunderbird 2 :D) but even that is removable with an allen key - no mods needed!

I agree with MacBandit - I'd rather ride this scratcher for touring for a couple of weeks a year than ride a tourer for scratching for 50 weeks (when weather permits - not at the moment because of thick ice :eek:).

But you guys have got me thinking... maybe I should head to one of those French campsites where you rent their trick tents... :cool: and overnight enroute in motels/B&Bs/travelodges. Hmm.

TFT

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have not seen any circumstances where I have seen anyone go overboard with their ST3's yet. I am also on the Ninja250 forum and there are folks there that strap a freakin 48 qt Coleman cooler on their bikes, among other things, (I am dead serious!) and to me...... that just reminds me of the Vietmanese hooker girl on her moped with her life's belongings.

Neanderthal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts