Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a relatively newbie rider my worst fault (at least that I know of) is forgetting to cancel my turn signals. In general, I think I do a good job but it really scares me on the occasions that I forget. Especially if I'm riding in the right-hand lane with my right turn signal flashing. I'm just asking to T-bone someone who pulls out in front of me.

So here's my question: is there something that can be done to make it more obvious that the turn signal is on? I was thinking maybe an extra bright bulb in the indicator. Or perhaps it could be wired into a beeping device. This is on a Bonneville.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
1. SignalMinder turn signal canceller, you still have to reset the switch, but it's easy to get in the habit of checking the switch. It turns off the turn signals after a set number of flashes. The Triumph twins use model SM1; it's plug-and-play for the turn signal cancellation (not for the other optional features, which require wiring).

2. Bright LED in the idiot light, but that's easier said than done. It has to be non-polarized (which means it's too big and has to be filed down and forced in), or you have to re-wire the light with some diodes. (The other idiot lights can use polarized LEDs so you can plug-and-play them.)

3. Buzzer can be done, some people have done it.

I've done 1 and 2, satisfied with both. I can see my idiot lights in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Signals

I have had a signal minder for 3 yrs & wouldnt have it any othrt way!! Same reason as you!! JC Whitney has a buzzer for $20 cheaper- but I dont thinl I would like the noise!
The signalminder has worked flawlessly!! My rec!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions!

I think Signalminder is what I need even though it is pretty expensive. I like the idea that you can set it up not to time-out if the brake light is on. One thing I'm good at is keeping the brakes on at a stop! My biggest problem is leaving the signals on after a lane change and Signalminder would solve that.

I also like the hazard lights feature. IMO motorcycles should have this as a standard feature. I can't count the times I've seen motorcycles on the side of the and wondered if they needed help (now that I ride a bike I really pay attention). It's always a judgment call but hazard lights could be used as a clear call for help.

Now that I think of it, I guess I should have posted this in the Technical Talk forum. I'll get to know this place sooner or later.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts