Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I installed new LED flashers in replacement of my rear turn signals. I installed the first one (right side), plugged in the connectors and tested. It worked just as it was supposed to.

The problem is: I installed the second one (left side), and Poof! Not only did it not work, but the entire flasher system went down. The main lighting still works, headlights, running lights, brake light, instrument lights, BUT No flashers, no sound of the flasher controller clicking on and off, no signal light showing on the instrument panel, both signals and the emergency flashers.

OK, so, I checked the wiring of the newly installed signal light and found that there was a short, and I had installed it backward (positive to negative and vice versa - it was getting dark, simple mistake because the harnesses don't have the typical dummy proof connectors).

Now to trouble shoot. I first checked the fuse and all the fuses just in case the previous owner had changed something up. They all check out fine. I also used a multimeter to test the connection at the fusable link. Then I checked and replaced the relay, and checked and replaced the flasher unit itself. NOTHING.

So my question is: What else could it be? Is there another fusable link in the system that I am missing? I seems I must have fried something but I can think of anything else that I haven't checked. I mean, it could be the signal switch itself, but if that was the case, wouldn't the hazards still work?

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You checked that the wiring was correct, but did you reverse the bulb in it's socket. If you used a wedge-type lamp socket(one that can be installed in either direction). The lamp midge not have the correct polarity.
There is good info thru-out this site:http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm
Well the problem is that none of the turn signals are working now. Neither the front bulb signals or back LED signals. I am not even hearing the clicking that you would normally hear when you turn on your turn signals. I am not sure what is going on. I think that there has got to be some fuse or something out but I can't find it. I am also hoping to be able to avoid having to take it to the dealer because it would be very expensive just for them to look at it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Here is a wiring diagram and part identification sheet for a '02 RS. Might help on tracing the wiring and fuses on your '01.
(Thanks to OnD for pointing it out in the "search" while on another thread).

Do you have brake lights? On the '02 wiring diagram it casually looks like the brake light switches are powered from the flasher power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a wiring diagram and part identification sheet for a '02 RS. Might help on tracing the wiring and fuses on your '01.
(Thanks to OnD for pointing it out in the "search" while on another thread).

Do you have brake lights? On the '02 wiring diagram it casually looks like the brake light switches are powered from the flasher power.
Thanks!! I will take a look at these wiring diagrams but I wanted to answer you question: Yes I do have brake lights and head lights, I just don't have any turn signals.

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
Here is a wiring diagram and part identification sheet for a '02 RS. Might help on tracing the wiring and fuses on your '01. ...
Respectfully, the wiring schematics are different between those models. There may be some elements that are similar, but they are not the same.
The generations change quite a bot from 01 to 02.

Regarding the problem:

First question/clue - does horn & brake light work? (note - the actual brake lights, not the tail light)

If they do, then all fuses are good and circuit is intact all the way to the turn signal relay. (those functions all on common power circuit)
If not, then check your fuses again - probably the ignition fuse (note that there are two separate 'ignition' fuses and associated circuits)

If horn/brake lights OK then problem must be upstream - Relay, switch or lamps (in that order of current flow)

Next - you replaced the turn signal relay -

.....Then I checked and replaced the relay, and checked and replaced the flasher unit itself ...
I'm not sure what you mean here- there is only one relay, the turn signal relay which you could also call the flasher unit - but not two separate parts :confused:

Do you know for certain you have the correct turn signal relay? The Triumph uses a European configuration - NOT ALL THREE_PIN TURN RELAYS ARE THE SAME!
Japanese cars/bikes or American autos use a different configuration.
It is important to get the correct one.
BMW motorcycles use the same one as Triumph incidentally.

Have you validated your LEDs are still functional? Remove and test them across your battery which will also tell you which is the positive and which is the negative lead (it is safe to connect in reverse, simply won't work)

The current flow is as follows.

Battery +ve - Main Fuse - Ignition Fuse - Igntion Switch - Turn Signal Relay - Turn signal switch - Front & rear Lamps (left or right accroding to switch position) and of course the return side of each lamp are all common together to battery -ve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
... First question/clue - does horn & brake light work? (note - the actual brake lights, not the tail light) ...
Yes the horn and the headlamps work. It is just the turn signals that do do not. I have tried switching the flasher relay from one from an auto parts store because I was trying to avoid buying on that is $64 on bike bandit if I could use one that is only $7.99 they looked like the identical relay with the same diagram on them. This is for the relay near the battery. I also tested this and it is getting power to the plug where the relay plugs in. I did test the LED lamps them selves and they worked. But both front and rear turn signals are out so I am baffled on what this could be. Does anyone have any more ideas? I will call the dealer on Tuesday but would like to try and save some money as I know it will probably cost a lot to have the dealer look at it.

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
Yes the horn and the headlamps work. It is just the turn signals that do do not. ....
Then that says the power side of your circuit is complete and indeed as you verified by measuring that at the relay plug.

I'd bet money you have the wrong relay

Can you give me the model/part number on relay you purchased?

Get this relay:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR#FL-889

Select CF13GL-02 from pull down menu ($12.95 plus shipping)

If you look at this page - http://www.superbrightleds.com/flashers.htm - you will see the different configurations of relay pin layouts.
(Ignore the ones at the bottom that say 'motorcycle types - they won't work for the Triumph)

I would almost guarantee you have one for Japanese layout - looks similar but Input & Load pins are reversed. especially since you bought at autoparts store

If you want to make the Japanese spec unit work temporarily, you can swap the wires on the relay plug on the two 'outside' pins.
(Please don't leave it like that - whoever ends up with bike as next owner - even if no current plans to sell- will have something that doesn't match the schematic)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts