Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I changed my handlebar and relocated the rectifier on the frame, now my blinkers only blink once. Each time I turn them on, there is only one flash of light. I have no idea what went wrong, where should I begin?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You don't mention what bike this is. Please fill out your profile so that those helping you can have a head start.
If you took off the controls while changing the bars it is possible you may have plugged them in wrongly in the headlamp shell. It has happened on here with quite weird results. Its a long shot, but possible. The plug connectors on the controls are different colours for that reason. Also I think that the original bracket for the regulator/rectifier insulates it from the frame via rubber mounts, but can't say how that could affect the flashers, apart from problems when other members have used the front flasher/reg-rec relocation brackets. To begin though, always check the obvious things like fuses (fuse#7 controls the flashers, brake light and horn) Also, concerning the horn, there may be a double spade connection (two wires on one connector). That is where the power to the other items is taken from. It has been known for this connection to break/corrode. I can't give you any more advice than this, since you haven't supplied enough information, for example whether the flashers were relocated or changed as well. When checking fuses, use a meter - don't check visually as sometimes a fuse will look good even when its blown. My PDF file on flasher systems might help further:

https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/772602-turn-signals-everything-you-wanted-to-know.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the bad form.

My bike is an 2008 Bonneville EFI, the turn signals are aftermarket LEDs.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Are you using an LED-compatible flasher?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Are you using an LED-compatible flasher?
@oklok - Too right! The flasher relay (centre, under the left side panel) needs a minimum load to work. LED compatible relays have a much lower minimum load requirement. The LED relay for your model is the CF13GL-02 (3 pin) available from superbrightleds.com or eBay. Also, with LED turn signals, you need to modify the dash indicator light with 2 diodes or you might get all 4 flashing, regardless of which side is selected. Give the PDF a read, its all in there.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Did the LED signals work before the bar swap? If so, not the relay. Or, did you also install the LED signals with the new bar?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the LED signals work before the bar swap? If so, not the relay. Or, did you also install the LED signals with the new bar?
Yes the turn signals worked before I changed the handebars and relocated the rectidier. I also got a led compatible relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts