Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Twin
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across this turn-by-turn navigation module from Royal Enfield.

YouTube Link - Tripper Navigation

It seems like a simple and unobtrusive alternative to having the phone mounted to the handlebar for navigation purposes. Currently I navigate using audio from Google Maps, on my phone, connected to ear buds under the helmet and that works just fine. But I can see myself using something like that module. Right now, I am not sure if this specific module would work on other bikes as well (hope it does). I was wondering if something similar already exists and if anyone here uses something like this?

PS - I am aware that some of the newer bikes from Triumph with TFT screens come with this functionality built-in, but I doubt those features would be added to the Modern Classics line. Also, not sure if a digital dash would look all that great on my Street Twin.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I recently came across this turn-by-turn navigation module from Royal Enfield.

YouTube Link - Tripper Navigation

It seems like a simple and unobtrusive alternative to having the phone mounted to the handlebar for navigation purposes. Currently I navigate using audio from Google Maps, on my phone, connected to ear buds under the helmet and that works just fine. But I can see myself using something like that module. Right now, I am not sure if this specific module would work on other bikes as well (hope it does). I was wondering if something similar already exists and if anyone here uses something like this?

PS - I am aware that some of the newer bikes from Triumph with TFT screens come with this functionality built-in, but I doubt those features would be added to the Modern Classics line. Also, not sure if a digital dash would look all that great on my Street Twin.
Triumph recently asked about the Beeline navigation as a option 9n the classic line during a owners survey.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler
253 Posts
Concept is similar to the beeline-moto, but just looking at it the difference is the colour screen and it's bigger (the RE). But the idea of something unobtrusive and not needing a streetview to navigate is definitely in line with both devices.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Great products but I'm gonna be a wowser here. Check out the beeline video and see how long the girl (in the sheepskin jacket) has her eyes off the road and on the display.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
408 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Beeline, but it gets hopelessly confused when you have to take a detour because a section of the planned route is closed. As soon as you turn onto the detour (leaving the planned route), it seems intent on getting you back to the point where the detour started. When you get to the end of the detour and arrive back at the planned route, it tells you to turn the wrong way and head backwards along the planned route away from your destination and towards where you had to turn off the planned route. If you ignore it, and turn the other way (along the pre-planned route toward the destination), it will continue to tell you to turn-around and head back along the route away from the destination. After doing that for a while (¼ to ½ mile maybe) it will finally pull it's little electronic head out of its ass and the arrow flips 180° and starts telling you to keep going along the planned route. [I have auto-reroute enabled — I haven't tried to figure out what happens if you have it disabled.]

That's OK as long as you know it's going to do that, can keep your bearings straight while on the detour[1] and know when you've arrived back at the planned route. However, I made the mistake of following the arrow in that situation once, and ended up going in circles (well, more like convoluted polygons) in an unfamiliar part of town where the street layout is irregular.

[1] When there's a street closed in urban areas around here, there's often not an officially marked detour. It's up to you to find your way to the end of the construction zone (not that you have any way to know where the construction ends).

·
Registered
2017 Street Cup
20 Posts
Can you plan your own route (scenic/circuitous) with the Beeline? How easily?

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler
253 Posts
Mostly. It supports up to 10-ish waypoints along the route. The navigation of the beeline is powered by Google Maps, so you have all those same options, just a different app and interface.

I personally use google maps with voice queues in my helmet, then the beeline on my handlebars. I like this because I get the audible queue close to the turn, but if there’s a long stretch of road I just glance down at the beeline and can see how much farther on the current road.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
408 Posts
Mostly. It supports up to 10-ish waypoints along the route.
There used to be a 23 waypoint limit on imported GPX routes (which is how I usually do it), but that was eliminated (or at least raised to the point where I've never hit it).

www.facebook.com/ridebeeline/posts/better-gpx-importing-is-here-for-beeline-moto-users-you-can-now-import-routes-wi/2294045600904587/:
Better GPX importing is here for Beeline Moto users! You can now import routes with more than 23 waypoints into the Beeline app.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
408 Posts
Yes. There are two ways to do it:
  1. Using the Beeline app on a tablet/phone. Editing the route is a pain due to a bug in the UI that prevents you from seeing where a waypoint is while you're moving it. The bug was reported to Beeline ages ago, but has never been fixed.
  2. You can create/edit the route with any application that can generate a GPX file and then import the GPX file into the Beeline app. I find this far more convenient.
To create a GPX file from a Google Maps route:
  1. Insert/drag waypoints in Google Maps to get the route to follow the roads you want.
  2. Under the "three line" menu, click "share or embed map"
  3. When the dialog pops up click "copy link".
  4. You should get a link that looks like this: https://goo.gl/maps/<random-base64-string>.
  5. Paste that link into Maps to GPX Converter
  6. I usually select "Route points: essential turns only")
  7. Click "Let's Go" to create/download a .gpx file.
  8. Import the .gpx file into the Beeline app.
[It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds.]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts