Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It’s time to turbo my 99’ Speed Triple.

I LOVE THIS BIKE! It has just over 65k miles on it, including several cross-country trips. I have a couple of Triumphs, or it would have more miles on it.

Last month, I let my girlfriend borrow it to ride to Arkansas to see family. While she was there, her step dad thought the battery was low, I have a small drain since I installed heated grips. He started bike to charge bike, and forgot about it. By the time they got back, it was overheating and coolant was boiling out.

Side note: This was not my girlfriend’s fault, She works on all her own bikes. She knows bikes. For some reason, some A-holes think they get to mess with girl’s bikes. DON’T! They are riders and deserve respect like any other rider! You wouldn’t mess with a guy’s bike without permission, don’t mess with a girl’s bike without permission! It was an a-hole guy that thought he knew better that [email protected] up my bike!
p.s. the guy who messed it up, is buying new engine, cases are wharped.

Anyway…….
The silver lining? I’ve always wanted to turbo the bike, now I’m gonna.

First things first…. A good workspace!

I have a 2 car garage with a 6x12 room in the back. The room is too small for much work, and isn’t used much. So time for it to go.
I gave my 13 year old son and his friend an axe and a sledge and told them to get to work!

They where sooooo happy!

Then I bought some metal shelves from Home Depot and built the workbenches on top of the shelves. They are nice and sturdy!

Silly side note:
During this time, the transfer case on my land cruiser went out. I found one about 100 miles away, so here is my Tiger 800xc with the transfer case strapped on it about to ride from Tulsa to OKC

So now the garage has the work space I need.

Not ot the bike!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Love the transfer case on the back of the tiger, bet you got some funny looks on the way home!

Good luck on the project, can't wait to see how it turns out

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So now to taking the bike apart.

I have it on my bike stands, and took of plastic, then removing the engine.

It is not terribly hard to disconnect and take out. especially since i'm not worrying out how to put it all back in. (more on that later)

Here's a pic of my bikes before I started teardown

Don't forget to drain oil and coolant before you take out engine.
Anyone want to guess what I forgot to do before I took out engine?

There are 8 star bolts to take out, 4 on either side. don't forget the ones by the swingarm pivot.

I uses ratchet straps to hold it in place, then to lower gently to the ground.

Out the engine came.

That is a heavy lump of an engine!

Next removing wiring and headlights and dash!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next was the headlights, dash and the wiring.

Dash and lights where easy. Everything is connectors, disconnect, remove bolts, easy.

Not to get rid of all the other wiring.
So you may wonder why I'm taking this all out.
when I put it all back together, I am putting in a new wiring harness. My bike fell over a while back, and since then, it had a short somewhere in the lighting system. I had to rewire the lights to make them work, and there where some other issues.
I also want to simplify the wiring to the custom controls I plan to use. I am also planning on using a new electronic dash. So new wiring will be needed anyway.

the other thing? I am replacing or repacking all the bearings for the swingarm. And while it is apart, I am going to powder coat the frame and swingarm. So it all has to come out anyway.

The rear shock reservoir and the rear brake have to be removed to get this out.

It looks pretty bare now

No turning back now!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, some of the issues I'm having, is parts sourcing. It isn't easy to find forged pistons and rods for my bike.
a couple of other things I'm trying to source is:
Turbo Cam Shaft,
Extra oil coolers
And Ohlins made a rear shock for these bikes. Would love to find one. It would have to be used, then have it rebuilt. If anyone knows of one, or even a lead on how to find one, it would be appreciated. I know it's kind of a pipe dream to find one, but I'll try!
I'm planning on converting the front end to inverted ohlins forks.
Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw some K-Tech rear shocks posted on the Triumph Triple Riders Australia (TTRA) Facebook page. Could be worth a gander.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, A little more stripping down. Front end off.

So I am contemplating switching to inverted forks. But would like to find out the actual benefit for me to do this. I know about the unsprung weight, less stiction. etc. but would like to know the numbers behind this. Also, would be able to put on a more modern and lighter wheel.
Anyone know of weights of wheels and forks? or how to find the info? google searches did not find it.

Sub-frame is gone too.

As you can see at the bottom of the photo, I went to Harbour Freight and got a cheap box with drawers so I could keep track of all the bolts and parts.

Next is swingarm and shock!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I have a '98 T595 Daytona and I assume that the front wheel on your bike and mine are the same. I have two extra front wheels and I just weighed one of them. The wheel has a valve stem, no balance weights and the complete hub assembly meaning bearings, hub spacer, speedo sendor and seals. The wheel weighs about 10 lbs in this configuration. My rear is a 6", don't know if yours is or a 5.5". I don't know the wheel weight for the rear.

The USD fork is supposedly a more rigid assembly due to the larger diameter of the tube up at the triples vs down at the wheel. Don't know if it's lighter than a RSU fork or even has less stiction. Not sure why it would. Being able to use a more modern lighter wheel than the older 3 spoke wheel would be a benefit. Those 3 spoke wheels are not strong. In my view, they are mediocre no matter what brand or make and model bike. I have bent one on my Daytona and on a Suzuki. Some people seem to think when seeing a USD fork that they are better than a traditional RSU fork. Not all USD forks are created equal. The reissue of the Honda Monkey has a USD fork on it. I have to laugh about that. USD forks, radial brakes, etc are trickle down from the race track. I don't think they make well sorted, quality conventional parts inferior.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Felony:

Thanks for the weight on the front wheel. That is just what I wanted to know. I have the 6' rear wheel byt the way.

I did a lot of reading on the USD forks. And the rigidity, unsprung weight and less stiction are the big bonuses. But I also read that for the most part, you have to be doing some hard riding to make it all worthwhile.
The reason Im thinking of it, is because I am thinking about taking my bike to the Texas mile, see what it would do. So the better fork might be beneficial for that, and would love having lighter rotational mass for street riding.

But, I this is a purpose built bike. And that purpose is to go as fast as I can make it go. But I also have to work within the budget of a retired FireFighter. So I need to really be sure the new front end is worth the investment.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I put hayabusa front end on my Sprint St. I’ve seen Gsxr, Aprilia front ends put on. If you are going to use your original wheel you will need custom spacers for axles and brakes. If using donor wheels and forks then you will need headstock bearings and races, not a big ordeal. Check the sprint section for ultimate guide to usd forks. Rear wheel is factory or something from Dymag, BST or Marvic. Might be some older ones floating around, if I see any I will give a heads up.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Later model wheels from a 09-10 speeds have forged wheels and are pretty reasonable, some have free shipping just look up triumph wheels and presto wheels up the wazoo.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Later model wheels from a 09-10 speeds have forged wheels and are pretty reasonable, some have free shipping just look up triumph wheels and presto wheels up the wazoo
That's incorrect. The only Speed Triples to have been fitted with forged wheels are the 'R' models from 2011. All other models/years are cast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info.
I think it will be a worthwhile effort to change to a later usd fork, and swap to a lighter front wheel.
Ebay has a bunch of USD forks from later Triples, and wheels to go along with them. Would be nice to keep it Triumph.

would like a set of these on my bike
TripleWheels

Anyone swap a newer rear to an older bike?

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's incorrect. The only Speed Triples to have been fitted with forged wheels are the 'R' models from 2011. All other models/years are cast.
In the US, it was a 2012/2013 model only. Not sure if it's different in other parts of the world, but I thought I'd chime in since the OP is in the US. They will have a PVM badge on them if they are forged.(if they haven't been repainted) Having ridden with and without them, it's one of the best changes you can make to the bike. The OZ wheels that are available for these bikes are also great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So today, took some more apart.

Here is the frame, Completely stripped. Now to clean it up and get it ready for powder coating.

Taking the swingarm apart.

Here is a little tip from me to you. be sure you take off the nut to the axle off before you remove swingarm!
Guess what I forgot to do!?

So taking it apart next, then clean it up for powder coating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since this whole build is to ride in Bonneville...

Here are a few pics from 2019 Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials.

Sunrise on the Salt.

The Salt

Checking in.

Some Classy racers!

Some racers

Getting ready for a run

Some great bikes.

Even some couples ride.

he fastest man in the world on a sit down motorcycle. Ralph Hudson. 299mph on this bike!

Some great women racers too!

Can't wait to go back!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts