Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2007 S3 Roulette Green. The previous owner states that he got it tuned, for the competition werkes exhaust, but when revving in neutral or shifting on the highway, there is so much backfiring, with about 4-6 in flames.

Is it bad for the engine? im not complaining, I actually like it. But i dont want to mess anything up. Also, does anyone know a ballpark amount to get it properly tuned at a dealer?

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
A dealer can't 'tune' it - they can only install one of the available OEM Triumph maps.
If you really want it tuned, see the ECM & FI Tuning sub-forum for details on TuneECU and find a dyno operator who can use it. Or use it yourself to download one of the custom maps available for your model, close to your configuration with the CW.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It's not backfiring (flame back out through intake), it's after-fire (burning in exhaust). It is the SAI causing unused fuel to burn in the exhaust. It was designed to do this and isn't hurting anything. It does it on the stock exhaust too you just don't hear or see it as much due to muffler set-up and longer pipe. Cars do this all the time as well. A dyno tune (as stated likely not by a dealer unless they offer this service as well) can vary but plan on at least 400-500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok good. I actually like the fire that comes out. And it looks cool when Im going down the road. Would SAI block off plates help? I am new to triumph and I dont even know what SAI means or where I would install the block off plates.

Thanks for the replies so far

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
SAI is secondary air injection, it just injects air into the exhaust through valves to burn the unused fuel. It is used on pretty much all vehicles (car and motorcycle) though they may call it something different. Installing block off plates or otherwise disabling the system will get rid of the popping and the flames. If you do want to get rid of it search a bit here and there are ways of just blocking the hose that could do the same thing.

But yeah either way it doesn't hurt anything so whatever you prefer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts