Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've read alot of posts about the TB v PC3. I have come to the conclusion that if one was to get either of these units, you wouldn't get the full value out of them unless you had it dyno tuned...correct?
I am currently waiting for my trident dual carbs/mid-pipe and K&N filter to arrive to put on and just trying to figure out the best way forward.
I have also noticed PC has the PC5 out or in progress...sounds like it's got some major improvements.

Anyones thoughts would be greatly appreciated as to where to go from here.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
466 Posts
I tune bikes with PC3/PCV and TuneEdit regularly.

The PCV is a step forward for Power Commander, and the self tuning feature is nice. But it is still a piggy-back controller that intercepts the injector signal and modifies it.

TuneEdit (TuneBoy) allows tuning of the fuel and ignition timing, adjust ing the base fuel, MAP, and AFR tables, adjusting the MAP/TP change over point, rev limits, speedo correction, and much more. And it is all done in the ECU. TuneBoy diagnostics are a very valuable tool that can save the owner money all by itself.

There is reall no comparison in the results - especially for the later bikes with the v2 ECU. TuneEdit allows for much improved transient response compared to PC3 or PCV.

With any tuning solution, to get the most from it, you will need to get the bike specifically tuned for the modifications.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Say you put on the pipe and change the air filter. Bike might start running worse than it is now.

To get the bike running "well enough" likely there is a 1050 map that you can just load / adapt and ride off.

If you want 100% dyno + experience is needed. Likely you don't have it 100% right now from the stock map you are running. There are all sort of small factors that add up that very from bike to bike.

To me TB is better as it does not add an extra piece of equipment to fake out the ecu. TB just adjusts the ecu directly.

Have Fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts