Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas, my awesome wife bought me an '04 Thunderbird Sport with 5300 miles. This is my first street bike, but I owned several dirt bikes back in the mid '90s. Anyway, my questions. I'm not 100% sure it's running as smoothly as it can. The bike was delivered from Colorado which likely has a significant elevation difference from NW Arkansas, and it's had after-market pipes installed. I don't know what the original jetting was or if changes from the factory settings have been made, but between 4500 - 6500 RPMs, the sound kind of flattens out and gives me the impression that it's got a slight miss. Nothing terrible, but enough to cause me a little concern. The first four or five inches out of the exhaust pipes are also bluing. Given all I know (and think I know), it seems like I'm getting a lean condition from the main jet or needle.

Please help.

David

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Welcome to the best bike and the best support group! Do some searching under the triples, and you'll find all you could ever need to know regarding settings with different set ups, etc.. You can start with the "proven setups" sticky thread, and then search for your specific components if necessary. If you still can't find your exact set up, or have more questions, be sure to include all of the info about the bike that you can, such as what pipes you have, etc., so that the great group of very knowledgeable folks here can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind response. I've been searching and finding a wealth of information about various mods. I believe the only mods are the exhaust, but I can't seem to tell specifically what kind (I suspect only mufflers).

My newest concern is the low coolant level and how the heck you add more.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tuning

I have a 2000 TB and had the same issues. In my case the bike was running WAY to rich. What mpg are you getting? I pulled the carbs and went back to the factory jetting and needles. My mpg went from low 30's to low 50's and the bike runs great. Adding water requires removing tank, a 5 min job on my bike.Where in NW Arkansas are you? I'm close to Tahlequah. Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I live in Siloam Springs. I tested the MPGs this past weekend and got 35. Based on what you said, maybe it is rich.

David

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jets

I pulled the carbs to check jet sizes. Then I bought factory jets and traded with a guy on this site to get the factory needles. R&R carbs took about 4hrs the first time. I got it down to about 1hr the last time. My plan was to start with a known good setting and make changes from there. But it runs so good I left it alone.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Hi Nick, pleased to hear it's going well :)

David

I agree that you'll need to check the carb jets & needles for part nos. Maybe no harm as with that low mileage the carbs & jets may well need a good clean out. Problems with blockages from gas residue seem very common on bikes that have been laid up for while, often over the winter in many parts of the US.

I've not long fitted a Dynojet kit (TBS kit that fits the Legend) & found their advised settings to be rich. (Have K&N filter & aftermarket 'freeflow' 3-1 exhaust.)

The long & the short is that the DJ needles are very good & fill a slight lean flatspot in mid revs on these bikes, but doesn't need much if any increase in main jet size.

So aftermarket jetting may be the problem also.

Note that the throttle cable is hard to detach at the carbs & the bending required often shortens the life of said cable. (They always seem to break here - carry a spare, it's about the only thing you'll need to carry.) I don't generally detach the cable, just slide them out to the right & set them down on a 'workmate' or similiar.

A good balance is essential for smooth running too - the adjusters are very sensitive, 1/8 of a turn & they're miles out. A recheck of balance is needed after every removal & refit imo. 6,000 mile service item IIRC.

Space around the carbs is tight - you'll wonder how on earth they come out 1st time - but they do, just.

Congrats on the new bike, you couldn't do better - your wife too, what a diamond :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts