Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
It's an oil/air separator. They're used on air compressors. The vent line is connected to the inlet. Oil, and any moisture that condenses, is trapped in the bowl and the air exits through the small breather filter on the side. I drain the bowl every time I change the oil. Keeps things neat and tidy, and keeps nasty stuff out of the breather.

Some people just stick the filter on the end of the breather hose, but there'll always be a little oil vapor coming out. If you're OCD like me, that won't do...

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's an oil/air separator. They're used on air compressors. The vent line is connected to the inlet. Oil, and any moisture that condenses, is trapped in the bowl and the air exits through the small breather filter on the side. I drain the bowl every time I change the oil. Keeps things neat and tidy, and keeps nasty stuff out of the breather.

Some people just stick the filter on the end of the breather hose, but there'll always be a little oil vapor coming out. If you're OCD like me, that won't do...
I'm really thinking of doing the same, don't wanna end up with nasty stuff in the bike or oil slime on the engine!

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
don't wanna end up with nasty stuff in the bike...
It wasn't all that bad. When I had just the filter and no separator, it was sort of like if you spilled oil on the engine then wiped it off. With the separator, no mess at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Started to comment but just realized what an old worn out thread this is....
Well if you have new useful info to add I don't think its worn out ;) Anyway, I appreciate the info you and the others wrote in the thread these years ago, without it I would not been able to modify my bike with so little pain. Also, really appreciate your answers WSC, it's great you take the time to help out less experienced riders/modders!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Thought I'd throw this into the mix. It's a back to back dyno run with and without the secondary airbox with the Keihin carbs. The only think I didn't put in the notes was that the pilot jet is a 40
With and without secondary airbox.jpeg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts