Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some Specialty Spares on my 06 Thrux recently. The AI was removed by the dealer before the bike had 1 mile on it. My question is... do I need to rejet or adjust the carbs at all? It seems to run as usual, but with a bit more torque and a lot more sound. I'm just afraid (after reading some posts) that I may be running too lean. OH... it does pop when decelerating... but I didn't think that was a big deal...is it?

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Odd's are good your lean, anytime you free up the motor to breathe better..( either in or out )...you'll want to make some adjustment's regarding jetting. The bike's are somewhat on the lean side from the factory.

I did a airbx removal kit on my bike when I did the pipes so I needed a larger change in jet's than you will probably end up with. If your planning on a airbox removal kit, you'll need to adjust your jet's again when you do that.

As for a recommendation for where you should be now I'd only be guessing. I've never ran aftermarket pipes with the stock airbox in tact.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Can't help much with the 865 engine. I assume you have the reverse cone mufflers. I put the SS peashooter system on my 790 when I had the stock airbox. I used 130 main jets and 45 pilot jets. When I went back to the stock headers with NH Toga mufflers, I had to change out the 45 pilot jets--too large for the headers with the crossover; however, they ran great with the SS headers which had no crossover.

Larry

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'd try some bigger-than-stock jets. Maybe 125 mains, 40 pilots. You could also consider a single shim on the needle. Since the bikes run lean from the factory and you've reduced backpressure with a more free-flowing exhaust, you can probably handle a little more fuel in your carbs.

A good rule of thumb that I've learned recently is that up to a quarter throttle, it's all pilot, quarter two three quarters is needle, and three quarters to wide open is the main.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.