Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I bought a cable and downloaded all the tuneECU and drivers needed and went to hook up to the bike, but can't get it to connect. It just keeps saying error check cables and turn ignition off and on.

Here's the stats;
Bike 2005 S3 with arrow headers, stock cans but am putting on the danmoto xg-1 double shotgun pipe.

Comp: Samsung (dads work laptop) running windows 7 home edition.

I followed the tuneECU website instructions but could not get the straight setup exe to set up, it was always trying to run in dos mode??
So I installed tw drivers based on the method from ftid website and was able to get the drivers successfully installed.
I even ran the USBview and made sure my cable is ftid and it's good to go .
After many restarts the comp would acknowledge the cable was plugged into something but the red light in the bottom of tuneECU was flickering quite randomly trying to connect.
Then just the error message after a minute or so.

I'll try it on an xp based machine 2mrw but anyone else have any suggestions??? Re install drivers??

Plus I'm wondering what tune to try as a base with that exhaust?
Lowboy maybe and maybe work towards the TOD of I can get my hands on it. Any othe suggestions?
Sai is still active for now, and I have the 02 sensor in but I have a sensor eliminator if I need it.

Any help will be greatly apreciated,
Myles

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Just to cover all of the bases and please don't think I mean anything bad, but do you have the kill switch in the "on" position? There have been a couple times recently where folks have missed that part and then everything worked fine.

Also, do you have the battery fully charged, on the tender, with the headlight fuse pulled? If all of this checks out, it could be the cable, where did you order yours from?

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Since you confirmed Windows 7, important that you follow the directions to the letter on the FTDI site - http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_119_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_Windows7.pdf
Windows 7 is a royal pain to install the drivers on, vs XP.
It will attempt to load what it thinks are correct automatically.

It is particularly important that you turn off the Wireless Radio after you initially download & extract the driver files so that the PC cannot connect to the Internet while you are installing.

Use the tools from the links page to de-install & start over & see how that goes.

If you are confident you have installed correctly - and get same results with the XP system, you may well have bad cable.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
We've all been there, I forgot to put the fuses for the headlight back in after flashing the new tune because I was excited and then almost freaked out when it didn't start. Glad you got it working though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same problem here, as in running WIndows 7, feel I have followed the instructions right but not once in two hours have I managed to connect to the ECU.
lamp fuse out, battery in charge, kill switch ON (set to run). Followed the instructions on here>
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_119_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_Windows7.pdf

Yet it looked a little different.

but installed from the download folder (extracted). With the wifi off. And all seemed okay. ECUtune runs fine but no dice.

Maybe its a driver issue?

Only once have I managed to get it to show INterface>USB with the drivers first installed. Since then, with same drivers from somewhere else installed, I have only Interface > Serial COM3/4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts