Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer installed Low Boy on my 2011 White is sounding a little to poppy on decel. Sometimes it pops/bangs loud! The dealer travel time is great. I'd prefer to do it myself. There are two OEM maps for the low boy. One is for 95 ron and the other is for 91 ron.

I want to check which one they installed (if any) because it sounds too lean but it feels great in the rev zone that Im using during break-in. I don't want to brreak-in on a TOO LEAN running engine. Maybe they accidentally installed the slip-on map......who knows, the lo boy is a full system.

Question: Is there a way to just plug into the ecu with my interface cable and read whats on there or are you forced to upload the map to read the file number? I have used the program to change maps but not to just see what on there. IS it possible or dose the program automatically pull the map from my ecu to the computer???

PS: If not, I do have the right map (20465 or 6 Map)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well how do you stop it from uploading the map when you plug in. I have the manual, I will read on.......thanks Coss

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
well how do you stop it from uploading the map when you plug in. ...
You simply don't action 'get map' - which will not retrieve the installed map (although even if you do, so what?);
nor 'download' which is the action will transfer whichever opened file you have in the program to the ECM

Plugging in the cable and opening the TuneECU program does nothing more than identify the map in the ECM, regardless of what map file you have opened in the display.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Popping/banging is not from a lean condition, it is from the SAI burning excess fuel in the exhaust, so if anything it is an overly rich condition as the engine is not able to burn all of the fuel that is in there on decel. Always a good idea to double check the correct map is on there but if you want to get rid of the popping you need to remove the SAI.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not really minding the popping but more conserned that the correct map was installed because the dealer was rushing to accommodate me.

A quick plug into the ECU and it takes 15 seconds for the program to read the ECU and sure enough the map, serial number, and other info about the installed map is present on the screen. My map was correct; now I have piece of mind and will live with the sound. Its kinda nice with the exception of an occassional bang that can be avoided by proper throttle manipulation....blipping.....

As far as removal of the ASI, been there, done that. I'm at the point in my riding life that I'm tired of the time consuming tasks of such opporations with such little benefit. I alway rip the charcoal can out as well (hoses and all) but on second thought, it sits nicely where it is so why bother. On my other bikes, its bolted onto the front side of the motor and stuck out like a sore thumb but on the new S3 its nicely camoflaged withing the motor area...

...another point is that I'm using a new dealer and don't want to compromise the relationship with my little mods before first service.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
OK sorry I misunderstood. Glad the right tune is on there and yeah I mean to me it just isnt worth it either. I don't mind the extra noise and its really not worth the effort. I could understand if it looked horrible though, does blend in OK o the s3 though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts