Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Finally got round to buying all sorts of goodies for the Sprint.

However will need to send a map to the bike after installed.

The numbers next to each map is matched to frame number or engine numbers?

Also how do I know what ecu is fitted to my bike.

Don't want to be flashing wrong maps over and causing damage.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE, '73 Yamaha RD350, '74 Kawasaki H1E 500
2,047 Posts
So Finally got round to buying all sorts of goodies for the Sprint.

However will need to send a map to the bike after installed.

The numbers next to each map is matched to frame number or engine numbers?

Also how do I know what ecu is fitted to my bike.

Don't want to be flashing wrong maps over and causing damage.
All 1050 Sprints have a Keihin ECU.

If your looking at the list of maps on the TuneECU website then you'll see that they're grouped for a range of VIN #s for each model (last 6 digits of VIN #).

For example, if the last 6 digits of the VIN # of your bike are between 281466 and VIN # 317408 then scroll down to that section in the Tune list and you'll see maps 20554, 20555, etc. for different configurations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I thought when looking just wanted to be sure.

One I'm looking at flashing is the aftermarket exhaust, without cat and SAI.

Does this disabled the SAI from working or would I still have to remove all the fittings and block off connections ?

·
Registered
896 Posts
The 1050 sprints do use the same ECU, however the early ones used an ECU with the part number ending 2100, the later ones end in 2140. This is how you can tell the difference of those for sale on eBay etc. The ECU will also have the bikes VIN number on the label and flashed on its memory

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Does this disabled the SAI from working or would I still have to remove all the fittings and block off connections ?
No, it just stops you getting an error when you disconnect the SAI valve. To disable SAI you need to disconnect the hoses, blank off the openings on the cam cover and cap the hose connection on the airbox.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Is the cap on the block steel?

Hoping so so can cut and weld ends shut. But gonna guess not and most probably be magnesium alloy

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Is the cap on the block steel?
I don't know what you mean by this, but if you're talking about the cam cover it's aluminium. To the best of my knowledge, only first generation 955s had magnesium parts.

IIRC, the SAI valves can be plugged with (M10? M8?) screws if you don't want to spring for a set of block off plates.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Thanks all. Is the cap on the block steel?
Hoping so so can cut and weld ends shut. But gonna guess not and most probably be magnesium alloy
As Kit said the SAI connections are on the top of the cam cover.

This is the stuff to remove: SAI hoses and valve.

Unbolt the 3 reed valve covers where the hoses connect and replace them with some blank plates. A few folks have made their own blank plates. I couldn't be bothered with that so the ones shown in my earlier post came from British Customs. I checked but don't see them on their website any more.

Reactions: KitNYC

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
My blue bike came with the SAI stuff on the cam cover, but nothing else. The valves were open to the air, but easily plugged with some bolts I had lying around.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, it just stops you getting an error when you disconnect the SAI valve. To disable SAI you need to disconnect the hoses, blank off the openings on the cam cover and cap the hose connection on the airbox.

What's the benefit of removing the SAI?

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
What's the benefit of removing the SAI?
Not a lot. In terms of power there is no difference at all - SAI happens in the exhaust after combustion. There is a minor weight saving, but nothing you'd notice. Some folks just want to simplify things by removing parts that are there only for emissions control. On the Triumph twins removing SAI can eliminate bluing of the chrome exhaust pipes.

For me, I removed SAI as one of a number of changes in an attempt to reduce heat. Under certain conditions SAI introduces air into the exhaust help complete combustion of exhaust gases. That increases exhaust heat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My sprint has it removed from the previous owner although I *might* put it back on because the bike reeks of gas at idle.

If I remember correctly on my old Speed Triple, blocking off the SAI after installing an aftermarket exhaust significantly reduced loud backfires under engine braking and was worth the effort 10 fold over...20 fold now in here in the states where people think it's a shooter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts