Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Mark, your reply is interesting. I have a decat and forgot I upgraded the air filter. I’ve never experienced jerkiness with my Speed, though I feel like a lot of people mention it. I’ve even seen in in reviews if I recall correctly. I keep the bike in sport mode all the time and it never seems to be an issue. Where do you experience the jerkiness?

·
Registered
132 Posts
no jerkiness on mine
it runs great
only thing I dont like isa little crackling popping on decelerations. I have baffles out of VH pipes.
I think a little tune would take that out.
but I wonder if I have lean spots throughout the various RPM range with the stock ECU map

·
Registered
22 Posts
no jerkiness on mine
it runs great
only thing I dont like isa little crackling popping on decelerations. I have baffles out of VH pipes.
but I wonder if I have lean spots throughout the various RPM range with the stock ECU map
Hey Mark,
if You want to be sure the bike should do a dynorun and than You can see where to add some fuel. You can also try a mapping from powercommander, maybe adjust it a liitle bit , load it up to tuneecu(your bike's mapping) and look at the differents it makes. But this is trying of course its never a certainty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
no jerkiness on mine
it runs great
For my Speed Twin, it was a little jerky stock for on/off throttle transition - decat (x-pipe), desnorkel and V+H (open) much smoother, but felt flat low-mid and lots of decel crackling - dyno tune (PCV) filled in the low-mid and got rid of the crackling - dyno tech said it was running very lean low-mid. Overall result now is peach.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For my Speed Twin, it was a little jerky stock for on/off throttle transition - decat (x-pipe), desnorkel and V+H (open) much smoother, but felt flat low-mid and lots of decel crackling - dyno tune (PCV) filled in the low-mid and got rid of the crackling - dyno tech said it was running very lean low-mid. Overall result now is peach.
are your O2 sensors still being used ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, the dyno tech disconnected them - replaced with 'eliminators" (I.e. resistors). It did run smooth before PCV tune, just a bit flat low down due to lean running

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not sure if this is old news but just connected TuneECU today to the Thruxton and noticed that we now have have throttle maps for each gear plus neutral, that's 7 maps for each of the three riding modes.
May be useful for people who prefer a softer response in lower gears but want a more responsive throttle in the higher gears.
All 7 maps are the same at the moment so not sure whether or not the Thruxton ECU will definitely accept the change or not, the bikes off the road for the winter anyway at the moment.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Dave

wha is throttle choke ?

also- on a 2019 speed twin with decat, baffles out of VH pipes what you think its running ?

questions- if a new map-- would you still use o2 sensors ? and dont they lean it out of richer anyway
or would a new map allow the o2 sensors to stay but still map it a little richer in that zone and upper throttle too ?

I think most folks that remove cat, add high flow air filter, maybe pipes or baffles just need good map to keep it from being too lean and remove any jerkiness. I dont think most folks need that super wide open extra at top. And they want decent mileage and not to make it a racer and hurt reliability-- just a slight street tune improvement.

thoughts and tips on tuning the 1200 ECU appreciated-- you seem to have solid knowledge on this
Hi, I used the words throttle choke.. and realise that it could be confusing so to clarify.. On the triumph 1200 thruxton map there are three tables for throttle opening settings EV1, EV2,EV3. Those tables relate to the three riding modes: Road, Rain, Sport. EV1 (Road), EV2 (rain), EV3 (Sport). Wide open throttle has a value of 1654 in each table, however triumph backed off the values entered into the table at higher RPM, thus preventing wide open throttle at revs exceeding 7000rpm. They backed the figure down to 1400. If you download OEM map from TuneECU and look at the tables I have described you will see what I mean.
Now with that knowledge you can (if you wish) change those 1400 values up to 1654 and regain wide open throttle at high revs. You can also (if you wish) use TuneECU to go to "parameters" page and raise your rev limit to 7800 rpm.

I hope this explains somewhat.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Dave

wha is throttle choke ?

also- on a 2019 speed twin with decat, baffles out of VH pipes what you think its running ?

questions- if a new map-- would you still use o2 sensors ? and dont they lean it out of richer anyway
or would a new map allow the o2 sensors to stay but still map it a little richer in that zone and upper throttle too ?

I think most folks that remove cat, add high flow air filter, maybe pipes or baffles just need good map to keep it from being too lean and remove any jerkiness. I dont think most folks need that super wide open extra at top. And they want decent mileage and not to make it a racer and hurt reliability-- just a slight street tune improvement.

thoughts and tips on tuning the 1200 ECU appreciated-- you seem to have solid knowledge on this
I still have my O2 sensors connected they are narrow band anyway, so wont affect top end in my belief.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi, I used the words throttle choke.. and realise that it could be confusing so to clarify.. On the triumph 1200 thruxton map there are three tables for throttle opening settings EV1, EV2,EV3. Those tables relate to the three riding modes: Road, Rain, Sport. EV1 (Road), EV2 (rain), EV3 (Sport). Wide open throttle has a value of 1654 in each table, however triumph backed off the values entered into the table at higher RPM, thus preventing wide open throttle at revs exceeding 7000rpm. They backed the figure down to 1400. If you download OEM map from TuneECU and look at the tables I have described you will see what I mean.
Now with that knowledge you can (if you wish) change those 1400 values up to 1654 and regain wide open throttle at high revs. You can also (if you wish) use TuneECU to go to "parameters" page and raise your rev limit to 7800 rpm.

I hope this explains somewhat.
Just to add a slight note of caution, when my bike was run on the dyno with a modified tune ECU map including removal of the 20% clip over 7000 RPM it ran straight through the rev limiter and the dyno operator had to manually close the throttle at over 8000 RPM.
These runs were with the actual rev limit still at factory setting of 7500 RPM.
The dyno guys think and I also agree that the 20% reduction in throttle approaching the red line has been purposely introduced as a soft limiter and removing that may affect the ecu's ability to stop the engine at the correctly set rev limit.
I've now put the 20% reduction back in my throttle maps but haven't had a chance to put the bike back on the dyno so can't say for sure that this was a cause of the issue but it's something you should consider checking if you've done the same modification.
With the massively improved mid-range I don't think I'll be troubling the rev limit very often anyway, and if you consider that the 20% reduction would only be in effect for fractions of a second between 7000 and 7500rpm if you're revving the bike out I'll be surprised if anybody could feel much difference.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts