·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked at this website:

http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/

and saw this listed:

Thruxton 1200 & Thruxton 1200 R from VIN # 740405 - Bluetooth only***

Has anyone tried it.. and does it mean the end of locked ecu for our WC Triumphs

Checked into their forum and under new release it advises:

"TuneECU release 4.5, what's news :
Triumph Daytona 675 & Street Triple (2013+), Speed Triple 1050 (2016+), Tiger Sport, Scrambler 1200, Thruxton 1200
can now be remapped (only with the OBDLink LX or MX Bluetooth firmware v4.3 or up)
Maps available here : app.box.com/s/jhxtzesemvqfz1x6qbizr735jd3bs3oo"

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m so stoked that tuneecu will work on the water cooled bikes. Only the 1200’s for now but hopefully the other bikes will be added to that list. I was on that forum asking about remapping the Street Twin and was told support for it was coming soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just ordered an adapter. When it arrives i will try it... hopefully this means the end of all the restrictions on the ecu....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
No Speed Twin support. What a bummer. Hopefully this is just the start.
I don't think thats necassarily the case. The guy that developed tuneecu and continues to update it i believe lists only bikes that have been used with it, be it by people he knows or whatever. Once it is shown to work with a given model he lists it as ok. Even tho the bikes are supposed to be the same i think it's just a matter of him not wanting to take chances that there is some difference and having to deal with someone threatening to sue him for a new ECU or whatever. Thats how suspension companies work, take progressive for example. They do not sanction a given shock for a given bike even if there are people successfully using them on that bike untill they themselves test it. Probably the same thing here. It's just a case of protecting your a$$. That would be my guess anyways.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm new to the idea of TuneECU and power Commander. Have a few questions below.
My current situation is I have decatted my Speed Twin + V&H silencers. As others have reported I believe it runs lean on acceleration and deceleration. But fine on cruise.

- Will Power commander with a dyno provide more power than the use of TuneECU does one provide better fuel economy over another?

- Do you still need a dyno to use TuneECU or is it a standard map for everyone.

- does the use of these 2 options always reduce fuel economy even at cruise?

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
When TuneECU becomes available for the ST, you would need to find a dyno tuner who can tune with TuneECU. The easiest way to retune the bike is with the PCV on a dyno. Jsobell tested a Thruxton with your exhaust setup and the a/f was acceptable. If your bike is running well, don’t mess with it. You could go to a dyno tuner and have him check your a/f.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just got my adaptor in the post today and it connects fine with the Thruxton r with the latest tune ECU Android app (as well as my Daytona).
Used this one from eBay, may be cheaper ones out there but this one is guaranteed to work, I've tried a few others before this and none of them would connect to the triumph ECU.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD-2-CAN-V1-4-Scan-use-with-Tuneecu-motorcycle-OBD/152592984449?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&redirect=mobile

·
Registered
51 Posts
So the Android app is not free? I have no issue with that but just want to make sure I am getting the right one. The one I am looking at is by Alain Fontaine.

Cheers,

M

·
Registered
511 Posts
So the Android app is not free? I have no issue with that but just want to make sure I am getting the right one. The one I am looking at is by Alain Fontaine.

Cheers,

M
That's the correct one, used to be tune ECU lite which was free but I think that's been discontinued.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This all is v complicated! I have a V&H 2into1 on my 1200 Scrambler now, and the Triumph dealer (Total Triumph, Somerset) who sold it to me said absolutely clearly that the standard ecu has the capability to adjust itself to the new exhaust, even though it has no cat and the db killer can be removed.

Obviously there's probably a difference between the ecu adjusting the fuelling within set parameters which may not liberate as much power as a custom tune would, but I see the Tune ecu map referred to above (30250) for the 1200 scrambler applies for the standard exhaust as well as V&H slip-ons.

When I bought my 1200 Thruxton in 2016 with the US-spec V&H silencers it had a different map installed by the dealer, which seems to contradict Total Triumph's assertions about self-adjusting ecu.

So I'll be listening keenly to those in the know as this thread develops- I had a Tune ecu de-restricted map on my Rocket 3 and it went well, so if they say it works for the Scrambler I'll go for it!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did it...now have several maps for thruxton1200. Makes a real difference for very little outlay. Need to get to dyno...but seriously improvement is such that butt dyno simply can not be wrong. Works well with my TEC 303 performance cam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Dave,

How did you get connected for map reading with the Ecu? I bought the obdlink LX and installed the tune ecu for android on my Phone but I can't read the mapping of the ecu . There is connection but no map reading.

At the moment I have also the teccam installed, PCv , weslake shorty's, HFairfilter what resulted on the dyno at 110HP and 124NM at the crank, dbkillers installed. Whitout the dbkillers 130NM and 109,5 HP(not addepted with the PCV)

Greetings

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello Dave,

How did you get connected for map reading with the Ecu? I bought the obdlink LX and installed the tune ecu for android on my Phone but I can't read the mapping of the ecu . There is connection but no map reading.

At the moment I have also the teccam installed, PCv , weslake shorty's, HFairfilter what resulted on the dyno at 110HP and 124NM at the crank, dbkillers installed. Whitout the dbkillers 130NM and 109,5 HP(not addepted with the PCV)

Greetings
You cannot read the map from the ECU only download to the ECU.
That was only possible on the old bikes with a cable connection.

Did you do a dyno run before the mods.
Can you post a screenshot please:smile2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
they did no dynorun before the teccam, my triumphdealer did the installation of the cam and the pcv and then did a dynorun afterwards. A couple months later i went to a tuner for optimalisation of the pcvmapping. He did a really good job but regretted that he couldn't break in to the ecu to waken the horses hidden there….Now that we can, I'am going to meet him again and we'll see what 'll come..
Which screenshot would You like to see , Scotty?
Tuesday I have the time for downloading them ..

·
Registered
511 Posts
they did no dynorun before the teccam, my triumphdealer did the installation of the cam and the pcv and then did a dynorun afterwards. A couple months later i went to a tuner for optimalisation of the pcvmapping. He did a really good job but regretted that he couldn't break in to the ecu to waken the horses hidden there….Now that we can, I'am going to meet him again and we'll see what 'll come..
Which screenshot would You like to see , Scotty?
Tuesday I have the time for downloading them ..
Was hoping for a before (standard) and after dyno run on the same machine but if you've got one before and after the PCV tuning it will be good also, see if the tec cam is delivering worthwhile gains.
Not sure he's going to be able to gain a lot more horsepower by changing things directly in the ECU if he's already optimized fuelling and ignition with the power commander, he could probably do a bit of fine-tuning but I think you've had the major gains now.
You should be able to import the fuelling and ignition tables from the power commander into tune ECU to give him a head start modifying the standard map. I don't think he'll want to start from scratch as it will take him ages doing the changes offline then downloading the map each time.
You could sell the PCV afterwards if you wanted.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Dave,

Greetings
As scotty mentioned, you can not read directly what is written on your ECU.. what you can do is download a standard oem map from tune ECU, and modify it and then load it on to your ECU.. at that stage you will know what is on your ecu and make adjustments to the map you have according to your needs. For you I would suggest the easiest way is to download the Oem map from Tune ECU and then import the PCV file into it.. that way you will have a map which includes your Dyno tuned settings. From there your tuner can adjust your map as needed and reload on to your bike. I am excited to hear of a cammed bike being dyno tuned.. if you can find me a way to get a copy of your powercommander file.. maybe by drop box, i would like to play with incorporating it into a map for my bike.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok first dynosheet: the blue line is a thrux without mods ; green line is mine with original muffers, teccam, tec xpipe, BMC airfilter and PCV ( but the mapping is an unmodified mapping from PC site 21-020_503) and the red line is one with the stage 4 kit from https://www.classicbike-raisch.de, Arrow race(decat) headers and V&H slipon's without DBkillers(us version)Valueresults at the crankshaft!!
So I went to an other tuner. He told me it was better to install aftermarket slipon's and I did, https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/thruxton-1200-exhausts--weslake-shorty-pro-slip-on-stainless-steel-liquid-cooled-17on-44571-p.asp
This results You see at the 2nd image , blue line with db, red line without, Rearwheelresults!! And mapped for slipon's with DBkillers installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dave , would you like me to post the mappings here in the dropfile or what is the safest way?

Let me know what you think of the results from the dyno. At the 4000km with the teccam, realy smooth riding and a lots of power...I still want to eliminate the O2 sensor in the ecu and maybe a little more rpm because it pulls right into the limiter

1 - 20 of 90 Posts