Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

681 - 700 of 879 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tom, I'm using current TuneECU 2.0.

I ended up fiddling around with the program some more. I re-downloaded the tune, turned key on off like 20 times went through every setting possible in TuneECU figured out that you can only clear codes in diagnostics/tests buttons and found it in the menu like you described not sure how I finally ended up clearing the light but everything is a go.

Cold/weird weather here Michigan but not cold enough to take her on a lil joy ride... Great tune by TTP!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased this cable.

I opened it to check the chip and it is a FTDI chip inside. I am having issues connecting to the bike. I am running driver version 2.8.14.0. The bike is an 07 Sprint ST. This is my first time attempting this on a bike. I have used similar software for cars before.

·
Banned
101 Posts
That's the same cable I bought, but I never went as far as opening it up to find out if it really is an ftdi. Anyway, plug your bike battery into a charger dude you need to be above 12.5v I believe. If you have already done that then I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe someone else will respond with some better suggestions.

Plug in battery
Start tuneECU
Plugin USB then OBD2
Battery - <12.5v (the higher the better)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the same cable, saw it referenced here and elsewhere. Bought it from Amazon rather than eBay just in case of problems...easy returns.

Which as it turns out, was a good idea - I'm fairly certain mine is defective, and am sending it back and ordering another. The FTDI drivers won't load - same symptom every time, on each PC. It starts off as it should - plug in the cable, adaptor light goes on, get the Windows new hardware prompt, then point it at the downloaded drivers linked to at the TuneECU site.

However it starts to install, then fails with an error indicating no hardware can be found to match the drivers. All three boxes I tried are XP+SP3, one of which was a fresh install - nada.

Here's to hoping cable #2 is better...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well...there's likely no problem with the adaptor I ordered, other than the fact it's not compatible. Did a little research - nerd stuff ahead.

The important part being, that the Amazon adaptor doesn't necessarily use the FTDI chipset that is mandatory for TuneECU compatibility. I discovered this after reading the following in a troubleshooting guide at FTDI - it described my problem with loading the drivers exactly:

4.1 Windows XP Cannot Find Drivers For My Device

This error can occur if the VID and PID programmed into the device EEPROM do not match those listed in the INF files for the driver. The VID and PID programmed into the device EEPROM may be found by using the USBView utility from the FTDI web site. These can then be checked against the VID and PID entries in
the driver INF files. If they do not match, that driver cannot be installed for that device without either reprogramming the device EEPROM or modifying the list of VID and PID numbers in the INF files.

Please note that only your own company VID and PID or FTDI's VID (0x0403) and FTDI PID issued for use by your company should be used in the EEPROM and INF/INI files.
So, armed with the above I downloaded the usbview utility from the FTDI web site. Fired it up with the Amazon cable attached, and it showed the following:

The critical bits are the idVendor (0x1A86) and idProduct (0x7523) numbers - they don't match FTDI numbers listed in the troubleshooting guide.

A quick search for USB vendor ID's turned up this page - which shows the codes on my Amazon adaptor belong to QinHeng Electronics, and the adaptor is using their HL-340 USB-Serial adapter chipset - not FTDI's.

So, the short version - if you encounter errors loading the drivers for your cable, download the usbview utility which will verify whether you have an FTDI chipset or not. Unfortunately, with the Amazon supplied cable - who knows whether you'll get one with an FTDI chipset or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can do a million years of research but carelessly buying things off amazon is just plane ignorant.
Speaking of ignorance - perhaps you meant "plain".

Insults aside, I did plenty of research - and if you took the time to read the reviews for the cable I linked to, you'll see plenty of people are successfully using it with TuneECU. You'll also find plenty of folks here and at the UK site who linked to that cable who had no problem with it.

The issue is obviously with the supplier - they are not consistently shipping this cable with the FTDI chipsets. It's a roll of the dice.

One step ahead of you - that's the first one that popped up at Google when I searched "tuneecu cable ftdi". It's on the way.

·
Super Moderator
21,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Ok dude be cheap and buy another useless cable NOT DESIGNED FOR YOUR BIKE... ........
You're talking nonsense - frankly none of these cables are DESIGNED for Triumphs. They are simply designed for ISO9141-2 with an appropriate FTDI chip-set (or clone); and if anything, most of these are manufactured with VW/Audi in mind - which is much bigger market.

Formal Moderator Note: Lose the attitude - please post with civility going forward.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Syspig, thank you for doing and more importantly posting your analysis. It's posts like yours that make this site valuable to me and the others.

Well...there's likely no problem with the adaptor I ordered, other than the fact it's not compatible. Did a little research - nerd stuff ahead.

The important part being, that the Amazon adaptor doesn't necessarily use the FTDI chipset that is mandatory for TuneECU compatibility. I discovered this after reading the following in a troubleshooting guide at FTDI - it described my problem with loading the drivers exactly:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Tom
Is there any liklehood that TunECU will be programmed to enable on the fly use ?
Is it possible or is it more than a reprogramming to achieve this ?

I ask the question because the dynoman said he will only dyno my bike if I have a PC or if changes can be made in real time, as against having to save the changes to the computer and then reload.( too time consuming he says)

Regards
John

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi John,

Please send your question to Alain, he is the programmer.

Best regards,

Tom

Hi Tom
Is there any liklehood that TunECU will be programmed to enable on the fly use ?
Is it possible or is it more than a reprogramming to achieve this ?

I ask the question because the dynoman said he will only dyno my bike if I have a PC or if changes can be made in real time, as against having to save the changes to the computer and then reload.( too time consuming he says)

Regards
John

·
Super Moderator
4,714 Posts
It's technically impossible to edit the map in the ECU on the fly. The limitation is the ECU.

You can make a map using a PC then convert it so it can be loaded using TuneECU so you don't have to keep the TuneECU.

Also consider if you are going to make other performance mods in the future that will require further remapping. If so then it may be a benefit to get a Bazzaz with the Autotune feature. A couple custom dyno tunes and cost wise you aren't too far different then the whole Bazzaz setup.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My Amazon.com cable works fine

For what it’s worth, I purchased the same cable from Amazon.com from the same dealer about 3 weeks ago. I had problems loading the drivers, or so I thought, because Windows 7 was doing a lot automatically & didn’t display a Wizard. A subsequent dialogue w/ Tom indicated the drivers had been loaded. Then, I read the past two pages of this thread and became concerned. I tried to locate the drivers by looking in the "Device Manager", but was unsuccessful & assumed they hadn’t been loaded after all.

The weather’s mild today, so even though I’m not ready to install my TORS map, I wanted to see if I could upload the factory map onto my hard drive. I plugged the cord into the bike’s receptacle & it lit up, fired up the lap top, opened TuneECU, turned on the ignition and voila – the magic light went from red to amber to green in a very short period of time. I was expecting & waited for a solid green, but upon re-reading TTP’s and TuneECU’s instructions - flashing is fine.

I clicked on Read ECU and then uploaded the factory installed map – took about 10 minutes. I was too lazy to remove the headlight fuse, but had a Battery Tended hooked up, so I was able to finish. I noticed the voltage read 11.9 throughout the process, which puzzled me since the battery was already on the Tender before I started & fully-charged. Maybe I was just lucky, but my cable seems okay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got my replacement cable today, and the drivers loaded fine.

Just to close the loop on my incompatible cable issue - here's what the usbview utility shows with the correct cable and drivers loaded.

·
Registered
775 Posts
681 - 700 of 879 Posts