Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
i recently bought a street triple r 09' with 24600Km. a great bike! im the second owner. the previous replaced the stock exhaust with a 3-1 HP Corse Hydroform. im so glad he did that! great looks and even better sound! monster sound! in addition i changed the air filter (which looked like the stock filter) with a k&n filter. well, i dont think he changed anything at the engine maping. now my question. is it nesecery or even beneficial to remap after this changes made at my bike? i have read a lot about the tuneecu, maps and modifications you can do and how to use it, but i cant find a map that would suit me. can i use the 20296 map (Street Triple from VIN 411984 to VIN 560476, 2010 Street Triple R Arrow full system k&n filter db killers removed,
111hp , from 102 hp dyno runs Tune ecu fuel and ignition adjustments. No SAI, No O²-Sensor, Speed Adjust 6%) ? or is there anything out that would fit me? i would try to build my own but i lack the knowledge and im afraid that i will make mistakes.
any help is appreciated!
thanks in advange

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like you are not sure. Why not get tuneecu and try it out. Of course, You may find that the bike is slower or faster than before. But this could be the "Speed adjust 6%" as this is changing the speedo readout. Not much help I know but at least if you get the App then can diagnose any problems that may arise.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'd have it dynoed by a professional. Just clucking in a random map could be beneficial. or not. No bike is the same as the other. a custom map is always better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi mate. have you done it before at a professional? do you know how much it will cost?

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
TuneECU is a free program it just needs an inexpensive OBD II reader to use it.

The OEM map for the full arrow system will work fine with the HP Corse.

Yes you can get a custom map made. I had one done for about $300. Best money I ever spent on my bike. Even stock the difference would be night and day. The biggest improvement is buttery smooth throttle control.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hi mate. have you done it before at a professional? do you know how much it will cost?
Yes I had my triple dynoed by a prof, cost me I think €300? or maybe €350. But that's not a given. If I had contacted another tuner it could've cost me way more (€1000+)

It depends on how much time the tuner you pick wants to spend on it, and how far he goes into tuning the fuel/ignition mapping. The guy I had it do, made 3 fuel maps and 5 ignition maps before he was satisfied with the outcome.

Your budget also comes into play. If you say I have this and this much to spend, they know how much work they can do for that amount of money and they can tell you what to expect.

Beware, tuning the ecu takes time and will cost money, don't expect to be done with 100euro...

For reference: I had the triumph supplied arrow lowboy map loaded into the bike when I bought it, I didn't like the jerky throttle response on partial load and on/off throttle. Now its very very smooth, and it even delivers 4 more ponies!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
For the cost of the cable, TuneECU should be one of the tools every Triumph owner has. It's not just for messing with mapping it does a load of diagnostics as well.

Just get it and have a play with it ... Plenty of YouTube videos showing you how to use it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the cost of the cable, TuneECU should be one of the tools every Triumph owner has. It's not just for messing with mapping it does a load of diagnostics as well.

Just get it and have a play with it ... Plenty of YouTube videos showing you how to use it.
hi river. yeah you are definetly right. my cable is underway, of course i will experiment a bit with diagnostics and basic modifications, but i really dont want to get too deep and start changing the fuel mapping, cause i really lack the knowledge. i ve seen plenty of videos with guys just getting in there and ''smoothing out'' the fuel diagramm.. it cant be that simple as these guys think. literally just smoothing the damn map out. i loaded many tested costum maps which are available on the tuneecu site, and all of them have some kind of weird uneven spots. so ironing the lines is not he answer. i think to do proper work you need instruments to meassure the procedure step by step, or find a made map that fits your needs. im propably going to stick to the professional :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I did when I got my first Triumph (2006 Daytona 955i) was to find the closest 3 or 4 maps to what I had on the bike.

Found one was excellent up top but a bit 'fluffy' around town. The other was strong low down & midrange but died top end.

Printing off the maps, I just took the readings from the one with the top end, and pasted them into the low & mid maps. made sure there wasn't any huge steps and loaded it on. That map stayed on for 3 years and that bike shifted without any problems !

Reactions: niktriple

·
Registered
501 Posts
There's virtually no harm in trying out a new map to see if it improves things. Just disabling the O2 sensor will make a difference in the on/off throttle.

As others have said, a custom tune can be worth the money, but it's worth experimenting with custom tunes that others have used. I think there's a thread on Triumph675.net where there are a lot of custom tunes posted. Most are for Daytonas, but there are a few Street Triple tunes out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just disabling the O2 sensor will make a difference in the on/off throttle.
Thanks man, I'll check the forum out. What about the O2 sensor? What's his job, and is it ok to disable?

·
Premium Member
8,688 Posts
2013 and later models are supported for diagnostics and maintenance, but not for fuel mapping. Even so, the ability to read error codes, reset CEL (pretty sure) or maintenance reminder, balance throttle bodies, and cycle the ABS pumps for a full brake fluid flush/refill still make it worth having. Someday, I might even get one myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Printing off the maps, I just took the readings from the one with the top end, and pasted them into the low & mid maps. made sure there wasn't any huge steps and loaded it on. That map stayed on for 3 years and that bike shifted without any problems !
sounds like a good idea. maybe ill give it a shot. did you use a second battery during the map download?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just disconnect my headlights when loading a map. A battery tender doesn't provide enough current to keep from draining the battery while the bike is on but not running while you're loading or download a map.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sounds like a good idea. maybe ill give it a shot. did you use a second battery during the map download?
As above ... Just pulled the headlight fuse and kept the trickle charger on. Just don't forget to put the fuse back in or the bike wont start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the basic tune ecu app just for my maintenance schedule, error codes and reset service wrench. Wondered if anyone went pro for the tune ecu as ain't sure mapping can be changed on STR'13 non abs.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I might have missed this information so far, but:

Aside from the exhaust and the air filter: is your ’09 Streetie pure OEM stock componentry ?

If so, my inclination would be to get set up on TuneECU (as others have said, gives many diagnostic benefits too) and load the Arrow 3 to 1 tune for your Streetie.

My only experience is with prior bike ’12 Street Triple after installing Leo Vince twin upswept silencers keeping everything else pure stock. With stock OEM tune bike ran like crap. Too lean, overheating, gasping, bogging. It was obvious (as I’d anticipated) that I needed the tune OEM aftermarket or OEM arrows. Problem solved with TuneECU.

Perhaps I’m not demanding enough of a rider that will even notice or appreciate the fine-tuning of dynoing with/without addons like PCV. I do like the DIY and cheapskate aspects of TuneECU.;)

PS: I initially came across the OP's question today on the ECM & FI forum. Would be best to cancel / report that thread done as it's still sitting on the ECM FI forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts