Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Tuneboy to go with my 2000 Sprint.
The tune that came with the bike identified as itself as "aftermarket exhaust" (which would be correct since I have a two brothers) and I had lots of burbles.

I took that same tune, downloaded it from the Tuneboy site and richened up the air/fuel mixture per http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Tutorials/TuneEditTutorial2.html.

So far it seems to be less jerky at low RPM's, and throttle response is smooth throughout the range, however I lost the burble sound.
Anyone know within the tune what do I need to change to get the burbles back?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I don't know your VIN number its impossible to tell you what tune. Check your Vin and then check here: http://www.tuneboy.com.au/TuneDownloads/TunesTriumph.html
Scroll down to the Sagem ecu section and you can tell what tune you need.
I am running the 10078 tune for "Sprint ST/RS up to VIN 139276 with aftermarket exhaust", but modified to be "less lean". I do have a back up of my original tune (so I can go back to that), and can keep playing the values until I get the best mix of performance and sound. I was just wondering if someone had already gone through this process and knew what changes in the air/fuel mixture corresponded to the burbles.

·
Registered
444 Posts
May as well weld another cylinder to the block while you're at it...

Because if ya ain't burblin', ya ain't Triplin'! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find that the burble are a function of the air/fuel mixture (AF/1) at low load (values 0, 9).

I went back to factory tune values for loads 0 & 9 and RPM up to 5200, the rest of the tune is per recommendation from the Tuneboy site. Burble is back, and so is the bit of of the jerkiness at low RPM.

It is interesting how much you can change this bike's personality (panniers on/off) and the tune not only changes performance but exhaust sound....

Now to book some time on a dyno :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry - just bizarre to me to be tuning for sound.
Get it on a dyno/gas analyzer & tune for correct fueling and performance.

Or - There are a couple of tunes here that look like they would be worth using
(you'll need to register to access)
It seems that Triumph may be tuning for sound, but that is OK, as sound is part of the total package.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
It seems that Triumph may be tuning for sound, but that is OK, as sound is part of the total package.
So, are you saying that you have determined for a fact that Triumph tunes for sound, or are you saying that if they did, it would be okay for you? :confused:

I tend to believe the latter because it is doubtful that Triumph would sacrifice performance parameters in favor of a sound that is appealing to.......well, come to think of it, just who would they tailor the sound for?

I would think that any effort to tailor the sound would be through the Helmholtz resonator rather than the tune map.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Of course, the old Helmholtz resonator trick! Sly sly sly..... Is that the tubed or solid state edition?

Joking.... its not electrical. Just making sure y'all are paying attention to what OnD is sayin'.

I like the Helmholtz resonance as the exhaust gasses blow into my Wassell's and also enjoyed the same resonance as they blew into my IXIL's on bikes past.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, are you saying that you have determined for a fact that Triumph tunes for sound, or are you saying that if they did, it would be okay for you? :confused:

I tend to believe the latter because it is doubtful that Triumph would sacrifice performance parameters in favor of a sound that is appealing to.......well, come to think of it, just who would they tailor the sound for?
The low part of the tune triumph tune map is where the burbles live (on map 10078). Whether this is intentional or not I can't say. Even if they were intentionally tuning for sound in this part of the map would be ok with me. The Impact to performance would be negligible, as most of the time you are in this part of the map you are decelerating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts