Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i HAVE an '06 speed triple and I need to do a full tune-up on my bike which includes oil, air, and fuel filter changes as well as plugs and I have been trying to find the oem parts online and am having a hard time. Does anyone have suggestions? The dealer wants $400 for a service tune-up!

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can buy the OEM parts from your dealer. Online bike bandit if you want OEM. I am sure there are olther places on line to buy the parts you need.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Card

i HAVE an '06 speed triple and I need to do a full tune-up on my bike which includes oil, air, and fuel filter changes as well as plugs and I have been trying to find the oem parts online and am having a hard time. Does anyone have suggestions? The dealer wants $400 for a service tune-up!
You can get oil and stock filter or K&N replacement filter right from dealer I recommend the K&N cause it has a 17mm nut welded to the bottom, makes next change a snap. As for air filter again I recommend the K&N more money now but it's the last one you'll ever buy, breathes better too. And finally about the fuel filter check this link.
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/103472-fuel-filter-change.html

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not sure I'd change the fuel filter. Probably doesn;t need it and
too much of a chance for problems. (leaks, etc.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE:

This is all some great info, thanks alot guys. I had no idea the about the Nissan filter. I did have a couple of follow up questions though...

kmannth had said I can buy the oem parts from bikebandit.com, but if I try to put in the '06 speed triple it is not listed. I know the tiger uses a similar motor but I wasn't sure if all of the filters were the same.

Provided I replace the air and oil filter myself, other then buying them from the dealer where can I get the plugs, brake and antifreeze from? Is that something special from triumph or the regular stuff at the auto parts store?

Also the dealer wants to charge me $400 for doing all this and he tells me that he is going to completely go through the bike to do all sorts of adjustments. Other then adjusting my chain which I have already done and my clutch and brake cables what other adjustments should I be checking? I kinda feel like it is a rip off because they call it a 15,000 mile service and I wanna make sure I am doing right by my ride.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Speed Triple 2005-2007 are all the same, order parts for 2007. I've ordered from them in the past and you'll get it in about 6-10 days (the longest wait is for them to get it from Triumph). You should be able to get air filter from them. We get 10% discount from bikebandit.
Spark plugs - use the opportunity to change to iridium plugs (CR9EIX) - better, more consistent spark especially in cold, last longer too. The best price I found is eBay store DaveKnowsDeals, where you can easily buy 3 of them, instead of full box of 4.
Oil filter -best source is Amazon, you can buy 2-pack for $9.48 now. Excellent filter, do not get discouraged with mustard colour -you don't see it, and it get covered with road crap almost immediately. Do not waste money on K&N, this is basically HiFlo filter with crappy stamped nut welded on top for additional few bucks. You use it once during filter removal - buy filter wrench/pliers.
Antifreeze and fluids - change to EngineIce, but flush several times with distilled water before final fill. Buy in local Cycle Gear store or online.

About dealer offering once-over for $400 - if he has good reputation and offers to not only look at it but also fix problems in this price - you may consider it. Depends how comfortable you feel doing it yourself, tools, garage space, maybe experienced friend to help. You should check bearings (headstock, wheels, rear hub), brakes, valve clearance, throttle body balance etc. All this you can do yourself if you feel up to it.

You can find more information here or at thespeedtriple.com - use the search function.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do recommend the K&N oil filters. If you've ever had the opportunity to see the guts of various oil filters in person you would see why it is NOT a good idea to get a cheap automotive filter from an auto parts store. And while the K&N isn't constructed much differently from an OEM filter, it doesn't cost much more, if at all, because most motorcycle shops, at least around here, stock the K&N's rather than the OEM's which makes the K&N cheaper. The 17mm nut on the end is a huge help too. For me in particular, that nut on the end is a huge help when I use the K&N on various other street bikes, or my track bike which is fully faired, and a little harder to access. Also the nut is pre-drilled for safety wire. Makes things so much easier than messing around trying to fit a filter wrench into tight spaces. K&N is the same filter as a HiFlo. If you can find a HiFlo in stock, and you can live without the nut, that is a good choice as well. I find the price difference negligible. Perhaps I'm just buying in the right place.

I do not, however, recommend a K&N AIR filter. Get a BMC for more performance or go with OEM.

The NGK Iridium plugs is an excellent choice. CR9EIX I have found in stock at a Suzuki dealership (they are the same plugs used in GSXRs) and a Yamaha dealership (used in some Yamaha model, but the parts guy didn't know which). The CR9E is the standard plug. But the Iridium (IX) is only a few dollars more. They should be around $10 each. Keep in mind that the Speed Triple is not one of the easiest bikes for gaining access to the spark plugs.

A new fuel filter should not be needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just did the spring tune up on mine. When you put the new plugs in, use anti-sieze on the threads and die-electric everywhere else. Vacuum or otherwise blow the hole out before removing the old plug.

When I pulled my plugs, everything was rusted, and thats after a year of riding. Check and double check that you have the crush washers from the old plugs before putting in the new ones. If its stuck in the hole, put the plug back in with 1/4 turn, spray some penetrant oil in the hole, wait a while, then pull (not turn) the plug out.

The iridium plugs are a good idea, but based on how this years plugs looked, Im just going to keep replacing them every year.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I do recommend the K&N oil filters.
I wouldn't! Oil filter tests claim the HiFlo (K&N) is crap and not even close to the OEM. There is also the issue of what filter is the correct one! Accessory outlets seem to stock the KN-191 for the 1050, yet apparently the KN-204 is the correct one. Is it worth the gamble?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I do recommend the K&N oil filters. If you've ever had the opportunity to see the guts of various oil filters in person you would see why it is NOT a good idea to get a cheap automotive filter from an auto parts store.
HiFlo/K&N filters are very mediocre one, not much better than king of cheap and lousy - Fram. If you want to see some details about media and construction compared to several others check here. You can find similar opinions on several other internet forums.
The filter that I use and have recommended is Purolator brand, one of the best on the market (check the same study). It is not "cheap automotive filter", it is inexpensive excellent replacement. It is second only to Amsoil EaOM filters, but these are $16 a piece. I prefer to change frequently, so Purolator is my choice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is also the issue of what filter is the correct one! Accessory outlets seem to stock the KN-191 for the 1050, yet apparently the KN-204 is the correct one. Is it worth the gamble?
Yes, the 204 is the correct one. Why would you use the other one?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yes, the 204 is the correct one. Why would you use the other one?
I wouldn't if I'd known better Ride. I purchased one from Newbonneville.com in 07 and the KN-191 was the filter that arrived. I notice they still show that same part along with British Custom's. Not good at all really!

·
Registered
171 Posts
191 and 204 are same diameter and thread and gasket one is shorter than the other for clearance on certain bikes.
Never had a problem with either. Done LOTS of oil chainging on multiple models and never any trouble. To each his own.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Changing spark plugs.

Has anyone had experience changing the spark plugs? How much of a pain is it? I have the service manual but I am having trouble finding where it explains how to get at them. Does anybody have any advise/instructions how to change the plugs and what needs to be removed from the bike in order to get at them?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Remove the gas tank and air box. This reveals coils inserted into the channels in cylinder head (page 3.5 of the manual). Disconnect the coil connectors and remove the coils - spark plugs are under them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Has anyone had experience changing the spark plugs? How much of a pain is it? I have the service manual but I am having trouble finding where it explains how to get at them. Does anybody have any advise/instructions how to change the plugs and what needs to be removed from the bike in order to get at them?
I hope my PM helped you with the first two easily said, but not so easily done steps.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
...The filter that I use and have recommended is Purolator brand, ...
Be careful - there's Purolator - & then there's Purolator PureOne

The Purolator motorcycle line (ML series) is not even made by them, but a Chinese re-branded item.

I believe you may have intended the PureOne Bohdan but it's important to make the distinction if you're making the recommendation.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Be careful - there's Purolator - & then there's Purolator PureOne

The Purolator motorcycle line (ML series) is not even made by them, but a Chinese re-branded item.

I believe you may have intended the PureOne Bohdan but it's important to make the distinction if you're making the recommendation.
I have checked my post and do not understand how this happened, but it does not have the filter number, which is Purolator PL14610 PureONE. I was sure I have listed it there...
Anyway, you're right, I was recommending Pure One.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Also, on the NGK iridiums, Oreilly Auto Parts stores order them for me. Usually in the next day or so. MUCH cheaper than anywhere else I've found (if you have that chain near you). :D

Kev

1 - 20 of 34 Posts