Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
641 - 660 of 680 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 ·
What's the limit? Is it the same for every bike?
Nope different on different bikes. The only bikes in Triumph that were unlimited were the 2019-2020 Speed Twin and the 2016-2019 Thruxton S and Thruxton R, as well as the road biased Triples. Everything else in the line has a ECU forced top speed limiter, and we just got past it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Triumph T120 2020 BMW R1250R
1,039 Posts
Hi Danielle, So does this tune do anything for anywhere else in the powerband? Or is it only to get pass the limiter? In other words, will I only feel the difference on the top end? I have seen a little over 120 on mine so far...Thanks !!

·
Registered
2012 Thunderbird 1600 ABS
201 Posts
I'd suspect that the top-speed limiter is there for a safety reason - either the tires or the bike becomes unstable at a speed above the limiter.

Anyone testing above the factory-set limiter should do so in small increments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, did anyone moded their Street Scrambler EURO4 with Tune ECU boght map? I have h-pipe, booster plug, and some other modes on the way and I was wondering if it's worth to pay 200 USD for map.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Hello, did anyone moded their Street Scrambler EURO4 with Tune ECU boght map? I have h-pipe, booster plug, and some other modes on the way and I was wondering if it's worth to pay 200 USD for map. You should tell them what mods you will have on the bike.

Cheers
You won’t need a tune for the cat delete. I bought a tune for a T120 with xpipe from DNK and it was an improvement. You shouldn’t need the booster plug with the DNK tune.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
Hi Danielle, So does this tune do anything for anywhere else in the powerband? Or is it only to get pass the limiter? In other words, will I only feel the difference on the top end? I have seen a little over 120 on mine so far...Thanks !!
Just removal of top speed limiter, along with a host of stuff we perfected over the winter such as fully rewritten throttle mapping.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Thunderbird Storm
448 Posts
I'd suspect that the top-speed limiter is there for a safety reason - either the tires or the bike becomes unstable at a speed above the limiter.
I've had my Thunderbird upto a GPS verified 155mph, having trouble keeping my feet on the pegs and my head was being pulled off - the bike was rock solid though. My Scrambler does weave over 100mph - gonna put some more weight on the nose to see if it calms it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've had my Thunderbird upto a GPS verified 155mph, having trouble keeping my feet on the pegs and my head was being pulled off - the bike was rock solid though. My Scrambler does weave over 100mph - gonna put some more weight on the nose to see if it calms it.
As a past owner of a 2010 Thunderbird 1600 I have ask you what modifications to your Thunderbird have you done?

A famous Bonneville racer Matt Capri took his chain driven and geared for Bonneville Thunderbird 130 rwhp could not get near 155 mph with Alan Cathcart riding it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Imagining the redesigned Thunderbird 1800, same stroke , bore, and valves as the 1200. But an extra piston. With the new liquid cooling and fuel injection the longitudinal Rocket could have a lateral triple partner... at least in the rear view window a little bit.

·
Registered
Thunderbird Storm
448 Posts
Imagining the redesigned Thunderbird 1800, same stroke , bore, and valves as the 1200. But an extra piston. With the new liquid cooling and fuel injection the longitudinal Rocket could have a lateral triple partner... at least in the rear view window a little bit.
That would be a baby Rocket. The beauty of the 1600/1700 Thunderbird is that stonking great parallel twin. The current Rocket motor internals as a twin would give us 1638cc. Ample for a cruiser if it's tuned right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tuning can go along way , especially if they redesign it with fuel injection. Just thinking the shared parts would save them manufacturing and they are famous for triples.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Tuning can go along way , especially if they redesign it with fuel injection. Just thinking the shared parts would save them manufacturing and they are famous for triples.
The 1600/1700 TBirds were all EFI. The last carbureted Triumph I owned was a 2004 Bonnie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another DNK_Tune happy customer. 2020 T120 with just the deCAT. Same results as others have mentioned, power, revs quicker and very smooth. Use to ride in "rain" mode with my passenger just to help smooth throttle in slow going. This in itself made the change worth while but the other added features really change the bike for the better. Couple things to note that others might benefit from mentioning as was my experience -

• TuneECU was bit of a mystery at first. It's simply the app used to change the tune file which DNK supplies. The TuneECU forum web site is somewhat rambling and confusing at first but there are a few key sticky postings which are good to read. TuneECU is similar to using DealerTool, but DNK only works with TuneECU.
  • TuneECU has more capability than just changing the bikes tune map. Takes some digging to learn but it's a useful app in many other ways.
  • Play with the TuneECU app a bit prior to loading the file. Especially if you're not an Android user. The app asked to register the bike which is good to get out of the way first. I'm an iPhone user and had to source a used Android device which took the most time, learning curve etc. Not a big deal just something to consider.
  • OBDLink LX - The LX which paired easily with the bike. Mine also asked to update the LX firmware. Again, something best to do prior to dealing with the tune file. There's actually an OBDLink app which I'm not sure you need to install in order to use it. I did, but didn't need to use it to connect with TuneECU.
  • TuneECU folder - after receiving the DNK_Tune file there's a TuneECU folder where the file can be placed and found easily when you decide to load it. Don't recall any mention of this?
  • Another rider asked me how the DNK_Tune effect "rain mode?" Don't know the answer to this but I'm sure @TheDivaDanielle will have an answer.
Excited to get out and ride the bike some more. Almost seems too good to be true. In fairness, can't remember a new bike that didn't have some type of fueling or related ride-ability issues. Carb or fuel injected. We know manufactures are faced with ever changing emissions regulations. Seems to be just part of the game to make bikes run their best. Don't think there's anything that gives quite the return for money spent better than installing DNK_Tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fulmonty
  • TuneECU folder - after receiving the DNK_Tune file there's a TuneECU folder where the file can be placed and found easily when you decide to load it. Don't recall any mention of this?
Having nothing but issues with a galaxy TabA - trying to get the file i received from dnk that automatically downloads to the google drive and not to any other folder. I was able to get it into the download folder of the tablet - but cannot copy it nor transfer it into the Documents folder where there is is the Log Maps TuneECU folders nor know if thats where they should go - otherwise they are not available when you try to find them thru TuneECU - Maps

Any advise here - nothing found anywhere else other then a statement - "after i downloaded the map from dnk" which does not help nor can i get an answer from anyone as this is a galaxy issue perhaps. Your experience ? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I just leave them in the downloads folder and then seperate folders for each bike, never had to move them. When you go to open maps you should be able to browse to any location, it remembers that location next time you open a map unless they've changed something on the new version.
But if you really want to move them just copy & paste.

Reactions: fulmonty
641 - 660 of 680 Posts