Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
621 - 640 of 680 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
It helped a bit, but the throttle is a bit hard to pick up still. It’s very noticeable to me, because my other bikes are incredibly smooth even in light fueling. If you figure it out, please keep me posted!!

-Avi

Did the DNK tune get rid of the snatchy/jerky throttle at low RPM in gears 1-3 for you? I noticed it being slightly better in Sport mode for me but not eliminated. Road mode is still very snatchy/jerky to the point that I don’t ever use it. I’m happy with higher gear RMP performance but was definitely hoping for some smoother throttle response in those lower gears.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I dumped my o2 sensors for bungs, pulled out the wires, unchecked the o2 box in the map on tuneecu , reloaded map and lost all my light throttle snatch. Got tired of that after 4+ years that's for sure, especially once you get an exhaust on and can actually hear your bike sound like crap putting around. Very smooth now with no issues discovered anywhere yet.....

Reactions: iammikeb

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I dumped my o2 sensors for bungs, pulled out the wires, unchecked the o2 box in the map on tuneecu , reloaded map and lost all my light throttle snatch. Got tired of that after 4+ years that's for sure, especially once you get an exhaust on and can actually hear your bike sound like crap putting around. Very smooth now with no issues discovered anywhere yet.....
I did that and also installed a PCV.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Speed Twin
19 Posts
What bike did you do this on? Also, is it necessary to remove the o2 sensor if you’re disabling it?

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
What bike did you do this on? Also, is it necessary to remove the o2 sensor if you’re disabling it?
2017 T120. My understanding is that unchecking the box suppresses error codes if you disconnect the sensors but you have to disconnect them if you want to disable closed loop. Others have said that unchecking the box actually fools the ECU into not going into closed loop. Parenthetically, Wayne MacDonald, who wrote Tuneboy before TuneECU came out told me you had to disconnect the sensors as well as unchecking the box. There were some posts by a tuner who was measuring A/F on a dyno who said that unchecking the box didn’t do anything to the A/F.

If you leave the sensors in but disconnected them (without heat), they can supposedly get damaged. I used to disconnect them on a Rocket during summer and reconnect during winter and they didn’t crap out.

On my T120, I thought the rough throttle was due to too lean at low throttle. I bought some O2 eliminator plugs to disable closed loop and removed the sensors. This did nothing to improve the throttle. Then I installed a PC5 and added fuel at low throttle, which made it worse. The only thing that worked was lowering the sensitivity in the throttle ETV tables.

All that said, there have been a million posts on this throttle problem and it appears that there isn’t a single identifiable cause and solution.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
my preowned 18 T120 runs great, no snatch unlike my traded 2012 mag wheeler. former owner blessed me with a decat + BC Sleeper Pro, looking like the 70 T120R i once owned. being preowned + bought from Hermys contact info with the former owner was not given, so other changes like in the ecu are unknown unfortunately.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes, disconnected the wires in the harness and removed them from the pipes. I put in a spare set of bungs I had laying around from other installs on pre-wc bikes. I loaded up the tune in the bike with tuneecu then unchecked the o2 sensor in the box somewhere in parameters I believe. You have to re-save the tune, then re-install the tune once saved. I have no MIL /engine lights and no issues since then so far. My bike had idle issues and stalling issues when the bike was run hard in the summer and then say coming off the highway to a stop or off ramp and idling would idle all over the place, and sometimes even rev up and down within 1000rpm and even die outright. One time I almost could not get it started again a few summers ago for almost 10 mins. This winter I did the o2 sensors, checked my valve clearances early and found 2 of 4 tight and the other 2 on the tighter side of middle so I re-shimmed all of them to the wider end of tolerance. I read somewhere that tight clearances can do some funny stuff that is why I just went ahead and did it early.
Those solutions along with the CONSTANT front brake issues appear to be solved. I once again checked my front brakes for air and found only dribbles of air everytime I bled my M/C (I bled the brakes after the first ride this year and nearly having no front brakes lever pulled all the way in, and all the bike did was sit on a tender for 3 months) I got my brakes back, tightened the banjo fitting and took some fluid out of the master rez as it appeared to high and so far so good.

Reactions: iammikeb

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #628 ·
New MAJOR update: Removal of top speed limiters now available for bikes!

Every Triumph currently built except for the Street/Speed Triple/older Speed Twin, older Thruxton 1200S, 1200R has a top speed governor/limiter. We can now bypass these limiters and greatly increase top end output!

We are very hard at work building new tunes for every model, now without a top speed limiter. Get yours today!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Danielle,

what year Speed Twins have the limiter... mine is a 2020. Also, if we have bought your tune previously will there be an update or do we have to by a new tune?

move been off the forum awhile and just got back on.

Thanks
AKM

·
Banned
Loving my '19 TTR
183 Posts
Excellent work!!
Thank you Danielle !

New MAJOR update: Removal of top speed limiters now available for bikes!

Every Triumph currently built except for the Street/Speed Triple/older Speed Twin, older Thruxton 1200S, 1200R has a top speed governor/limiter. We can now bypass these limiters and greatly increase top end output!

We are very hard at work building new tunes for every model, now without a top speed limiter. Get yours today!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 ·
Danielle,

what year Speed Twins have the limiter... mine is a 2020. Also, if we have bought your tune previously will there be an update or do we have to by a new tune?

Thanks
AKM
The refresh will have the limiter, old one didn't. It would be starting over with a new order unless it's still in the 14 day support window from purchase.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Speed Twin
19 Posts
This is still unclear to me. What year exactly did the limiter start for the Speed Twin? 2019 to current?

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Danielle,

Thanks
AKM
Got this in an email from DNK:

Every Triumph currently built except for a few select models has a top speed governor/limiter. We can now bypass these limiters and greatly increase top end output!

We have created a coupon code specifically for prior customers. Please make sure that you use your original email address that you placed your order with so our system will accept your order.

The coupon code is ride_without_limits and will net you a hefty 20% discount. Please note that your prior order number needs to be listed in the modifications section of your order form.

Please use your prior registered email address to access this tune discount, and with your new order, we also require the full VIN number of the motorcycle (versus previous “last six” for older orders) to leverage the new features.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
This is still unclear to me. What year exactly did the limiter start for the Speed Twin? 2019 to current?
You can look at the tunes in TuneECU and see which vins have the adjustable speed limiter. Even so, the highest I could adjust my Rocket was 300 kph.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
So if I’m reading this correct.... 2020 bikes ( US spec) do not have a limiter.......
You can’t adjust the limit on the new WC bikes, including the 2017 T120, 2020 Rocket, 2020 Tiger 900. The new Rocket does have a hard limit, however, based on reports from owners. Alain (author of TuneECU) has now managed to hack the ECU so that the hard limit can be removed (or adjusted upward - this is still not clear).

621 - 640 of 680 Posts