Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Breathe unit is on the way from PieMan, and really looking forward to it. But here's the question; the installation pictures show the splash guard placed on the 'rear' of the left side panel, but it would seem that any water intrusion would come from the front, or the bottom, of the panel. Does anyone have any pics of this post-installation?

I'm very concerned about this water issue because after taking off the snorkel, I rode through a twenty minute fairly hard rain, and then found an inch and a half of water in the clear plastic crankcase drain tube. None of the threads I've read about snorkel removal mention having this experience, but here in Arizona we get some real jungle type soakers and I'd fill up the entire air box going through one of those.

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
I haven't bothered to fit mine...yet. don't normally ride in wet weather if at all possible. I presumed it was to prevent water ingress thrown up by the rear wheel.

·
Vendor
2,425 Posts
LapinAgile, did you check the level of that tube before that twenty minutes of rain? The drain tube is meant to drain any build up of condensation or oil mist coming from the engine breather and can be emptied without removing the filter.

You'll find that the side cover protects the air intake from most direct water ingress from the front and bottom, and the splash guard protects direct water spun off from the rear wheel. When riding in wet weather a certain amount of damp gets in to virtually every area on a bike, but whilst testing through the wettest Spring in the UK for a century, we didn't experience any problems with rain causing problems with the induction.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks peejay49, I've no doubt it's the rear wheel sending it up there, just wondering how the splash guard was going to prevent that.

Great PieMan, I've no doubts your design has got this water intrusion issue handled. And as another time waster added to my life, yes I do check that drain tube often. I had to replace the crankcase breather gaskets after it was filling the tube up with oil after even short rides, so now I've got the habit.
Of course the Breathe unit also has a surrounding lip which should help, now without the snorkel, it's nearly flush to the air box.

Thanks guys - Much appreciated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
FYI

I installed the Breathe and rain strip about 2 years ago. I had not removed the cover since installing the Breathe. The air filter is supposed to be replaced every 12,000 miles, but I decided to look at it at 10,000 miles.

I was shocked to see that the rain strip was unattached at the bottom two mounts, and the top was was off too! It was only being held on by the second mount from the top. All of the tabs that came off, came off from not sticking to the cover. I had cleaned the inside surface of the cover with rubbing alcohol and applied lots of pressure to the velcro tabs when I installed them. Maybe heat affected the adhesive? I have no idea why this happened!

But I was even more concerned when I saw that the loose end of the strip had rubbed holes in the air filter element!! I have no idea how many thousands of miles I rode with a compromised air filter. :frown2:

I don't plan to ride in the rain, but have been caught in it a few times. Nothing heavy. I may not try to find a better way to install the strip and just leave it off.

Mike said that he had never heard of this problem before. No one else reported it. "A one-off" event.

So this is just a heads-up to check your rain strip/splash guard.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, wouldn't have expected that either, glad you checked I bet. I'm on a different Bonnie now than my post here, and bought a used Breathe from a member here for it. It came with the rain strip, but don't think I'll install it. If some rain gets in it'll drain into the tube below ready for dumping, if a lot of rain got in, hell run without the filter for awhile. If it's that wet you won't be getting much dust.

I'll send you my rain strip [no charge] if you decide you want one, just PM me. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm very concerned about this water issue because after taking off the snorkel, I rode through a twenty minute fairly hard rain, and then found an inch and a half of water in the clear plastic crankcase drain tube. None of the threads I've read about snorkel removal mention having this experience, but here in Arizona we get some real jungle type soakers and I'd fill up the entire air box going through one of those.

Thanks
I used a piece of black plastic from a one gallon antifreeze container about 10'' long and 2 1/2'' wide to fill the void between the left rear of the air box and the frame tube that's parallel with it and behind the side cover. Attach it with 2 #6 sheet metal screws about 6'' apart top to bottom. Attach it straight against the rear of the air box and let it curve around 90 degrees and rest against the back of the frame tube. It is not visible unless you are really looking for it.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I'm not running my strip on the bike. I ride in a city known for wet weather. My thoughts are that any water splashing onto the filter just enters the air box and does not mean the engine is ingesting it. It would take buckets and buckets to become sufficient to reach the intakes at the top of the airbox. Been riding this way for two years now, no issues.

·
Registered
2014 Thruxton
327 Posts
Never did get my splash guard to stay on properly so I left it off. Just rode through a torrential rain storm for a total of one day and did not experience any issues.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I guess I don't understand not taking every precaution possible against moisture intrusion into the airbox especially when installation of the original or a modified splash guard is so simple.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Why are you so concerned about some water being ingested through the filter? Coming from the days of big singles when the fashion was to have a massive bell-mouth and no filtration at all, rain water won't have any effect, well actually a little bit improves things. It was a bummer when it rained and the bike was parked if you didn't fit a sink-plug in your bell-mouth as the rain would pour down the intake manifold.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just fitted mine; it was provided so I used it. If it causes bother I'll take it off. I remember riding in Asturias on my Norton 19S sans air filter. Started to run very badly in heavy rain. It would only run at tickover. I figured it must be water ingestion, so without stopping I closed the choke, opened the throttle wide then opened the choke and gradually shut the throttle. As expected, this caused the engine to ingest and exhaust the water in the float bowl. It cleared it's lungs and b*ggered off like the clappers. It's true we all ran with bellmouths; it's also true that consequently the slides in our Amals wore out quickly.....AFAIR it was only on Goldies that bath plugs were used, though I didn't bother on mine.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was thinking of my Velocette Thruxton but I recall other big singles used bath plugs too. There was also the incident where somebody stuffed a crisp packet down the bell-mouth which I hadn't noticed. The first attempt at starting sucked it into the valve, hell of a job diagnosing the issue and a hell of a job extracting it to ride home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts