Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought my TT600 last weekend as a private sale, it's immaculate with only 9000 miles. Took it for its first ride today first 10 miles went super (70mph on a motorway, just getting used to it). Then just as I came of the motorway the bike cut out at the roundabout and would not start again. Nothing would get it started as the starter motor was turning you could here what sounded like a back/miss fire (a very loud bang). So the recovery lorry took me home and it's out in the garage.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what the cause might be?

Any comments really appreciated.

By the way I'm a new Triump rider and new to this forum, I'm from the North of the Green Isle (Ireland).

Thanks and regards

Jim

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Welcome to TriumphRAT.net! Wish you were joining us under better circumstances, but let's see what we can do.

If the starter motor was turning and sounded strong, then it's probably not the battery/charging system. Were all the lights nice and bright, etc., before it died?

I won't bother to ask if it's out of gas, if it's backfiring, but maybe it's not getting enough because of a clogged fuel filter or kinked line. Those are easy to check.

Have you pulled the plugs to check for spark/fouling?

Have you called the previous owner to ask their input?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plenty of gas. The fuel light was on when I got it, drove straight to a petrol station and filled it up. I then drove 6 miles home and the bike then sat in the garage all week until I took it for a spin yesterday, and as I said I only got about 10 miles before it cut out.

I did phone the previous owner and he assured me (sounded very genuine) it never happened before and that bike was in 100% condition, he actually suggested it sounded like dirty petrol or something like that. Now given that I had only just filled the tank then drove a total of 16 miles could it be the petrol. Is it worth draing the tank, is there any fuel filter under the tank?

I really dont want the hassle of leaving it to a garage for something really basic. I have to arrange a van as the bike garage is about 10 miles away.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks and regards

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Jim

Yep, there is a fuel filter under the fuel tank integrated into the fuel pump system. I think you have remove the fuel pump to get to the filter (but don't quote me on that!). Although I've removed my TT600's tank many times I've never had the fuel pump or filter off.

I'm a bit stumped as to what's causing your problem. The TTs are a bit notorious for cutting out when slowing down at junctions - mostly due to poor idling - either the Idle Air Control Valve being out of adjustment or leaking air, or, throttle bodies needing balancing, or, idle CO being too low. But your reported backfiring? I don't know - sorry.

You should probably cross-post this in the "supersports" forum for TT600, Speed 4, Daytona 600/650.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Andy, spoke to a few guys during the week and none could offer any real direction except the bike would most likely need to go to Triumph and get connected to their computer!

Well for the sake of the cost of a set of plugs I decided to install a new set, just to see what would happen. Well would you believe it the bike started frist time after the new plugs were fitted. The old plugs look like the hadn't been changed in a while and my guess is they've never been changed, there's only 9000 miles on the bike. Anyhow the bike sounds just great, pity it's raining as I'd love to take it for a run just to try it out.

One thing that's buging me, what would have caused the old plugs to fail so quickly, I thought plugs would give plenty of warning eg. hard to start etc. Also the bike is now running fine, however, the engine management light is on, any thoughts as to what this could be? Do I just ignore it or get it to a triumph dealer?

Thanks for your thoughts!

regards

Jim

·
Registered
616 Posts
If the TT600 is like the other Triumphs of that era you'll have to run through 3 or 4 cold start, run until at operating temperature, shut off, cycles before the engine management light will go out. No need to do that in the garage if the weather is decent for riding. Just ride it as you normally do and the light should go out in a day or so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Jim

Glad to hear that a new set of plugs seems to have cured your bike's ills. If they were the original plugs, they were 8 years old and things do deteriorate with time. It may have been that the coils were not quite seated properly on the plugs and you were getting a poor charge on one or more cylinder. It's more likely that the bike needs to have the throttle bodies balanced, the throttle position sensor reset, the idle CO (also called "short term fuel trim") adjusted and maybe the idle air control valve (IACV) reset. Depending on how much servicing you are planning to do yourself, a Tuneboy (well respected bit of kit that I can't afford - search forums for further info or Google) will allow you to do all these things apart from adjust throttle bodies with software. Throttle bodies need to be done with a good old fashioned vacuum gauge (Carbtune is probably the best out there). Otherwise a visit to the dealer would get all these done. The other thing to note is that the "tune" in the engine control unit (aka ecu, ecm, pcm, cdi) can be changed for a more up to date tune that should also help with poor running (Triumph released several tunes during the life of the TT600). The latest one, by all accounts, tends to give the best overall running with all years of TTs. Also the later TTs had different profiled camshafts and exhaust header link pipes between the four header pipes to help with engine performance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a cold start and stalling issue and I put in new iridium plugs and new fuel filter, no change. Sprayed some pb blast into the iacv and cleaned some grime out with a qtip. Starts on the first crank now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts