Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2001 TT600, I went out a couple of weeks ago and it start mis-firing so when I got home I checked the plugs and coils. 3 of the coils were a real mess with splits in the plastic and showing real signs of corrosion, the plugs were also a mess. I replaced the plugs and go 3 new (scrap but they look good) coils. I put is all back together tried the starter and now it will not start at all, it turns over but will not fire. I have taken it apart again and tried each of the coils and plugs out of the engine and they spark just fine when the engine is turned, they also also smell of fuel so I am guessng that fuel is getting through but still no joy when I put it back together. Any suggestions.

I did read on another thread that if you disconnect the fuel lines you can get air in the system that will not bleed out and that makes it hard to start - has anyone come across this and if so how much cranking did it take to get it to go as I don't really want to fry the battery and starter motor trying it out.

Help !!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
1. Is the kill switch in the on position?
2. Are the plugs properly gapped?
3. You may have the fuel lines reversed at the tank. This will allow the engine to turn over, albeit slower than usual, but will not allow it to fire. The Left side fuel rail hose (feed line) connects to red female quick-disconnect on tank; the right side fuel rail hose (return line) connects to the white female quick-disconnect on tank. Careful, as if you do have them switched there will be pressure in the lines.
4. Is the clutch lever position sensor plunger popping out when the lever is pulled in?
5. Is the bike in neutral?

Since you are getting spark, it could very well be #3.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are you confident that you have the coils connected to the correct plugs/cylinders? If they are not right, you'd get a spark, but it would be at the wrong time in the combustion cycle.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The wiring loom won't allow enough extra wire to swap the coils.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, double checked everything especially the fuel lines and they look OK, I am assuming BombFactory means the feed hose is on the left of fuel rail when you look towards the front of the bike, in which case it is all OK.

Just picking up ncdave's point: Bombfactory is right, you can't connect the coils in the wrong order as the leads from the harness are not long enough.

Looks like I am going to have to get it to the dealer to plug it in to their diagnostics rig and see if they can find anything - I find it really frustrating when you can't get to the bottom of something like this by simple logic.

I will let you know what the dealer comes up with.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
As you can smell petrol this may not help, but an old trick is to squirt some "quick-start" into the air box just 1/2 a second before or during firing with an assistant. If it fires then the air/fuel mix is wrong. Not too much as it's fire water..

Have you got:
Petrol (in tank, clean filter, full flow + grade)
Air
Circuits ok (alarm/kill/side-stand/neutral)
Good spark (battery and clean plugs with correct spark)
Ignition firing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, i've had a similar problem with my tt600 but managed to get it running today. Problem was the fuel hoses were on the wrong nipples (easy mistake to make due to the rather odd colour coding).. anyway, it fires up but it idles higher than usual (even when at running temp) and when I give it a bit of throttle it delays on the way back down to idle. so instead of returning down the revvs instantly as it used to, it revs to say 6krpm, then takes a while to come back down to idle. I've checked for any air leaks and cant find a thing.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Any input much appreciated!

Josh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well - finally got some feedback from the dealer and guess what - nothing wrong - they took off the tank, airbox etc. to check everyhting was OK and it was, put it back together and it started first press. So all I can come up with is a dodgy electrical connection that fixed itself when they took it apart and put it back together or maybe a bubble in the fuel lines somewhere that came out by either leaving the bike standing or being bumped around in the back of their van. Either way it looks like I am going to get a nice bill for absolutely nothing but at least I have a bike again which is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts