Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my tt600 has snapped a valve spring cap, it dosent look as though it has bent the valve but does anyone know how to check the piston top without taking the head of, can get a new cap and collets on as long as valve isn't bent no problem.

Thanks Matt

·
Super Moderator
8,844 Posts
I'm not sure how you would check the top of a piston on any engine without pulling the head. Some kind of TV camera, I suppose, but my guess is finding somebody to do it would be pretty tough. Pulling the head is going to be necessary to put the valve back together anyway, unless somebody knows something I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'm not sure how you would check the top of a piston on any engine without pulling the head. Some kind of TV camera, I suppose, but my guess is finding somebody to do it would be pretty tough. Pulling the head is going to be necessary to put the valve back together anyway, unless somebody knows something I don't know.
Agreed on having to pull the head to get a good look at everything. You can actually swap out the retainers without pulling the head by using a leak-down or compression test hose attached to compressed air, although it might take rigging something up for the spark plug since the cam cover is off. The air keeps the valve from dropping into the cylinder.

How did you know the retainer broke? Did the valve drop into the cylinder? If it did, I would recommend pulling the head and inspecting the piston, chamber, and valve. If there is maring on the piston or wall, you could have a bent rod along with that damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for your replys, lost power and had like a tappet rattle so checked the clearances and the one had no clearance even after loosening the cam of on all the caps. Took it all apart and the valve dropped but was not sure if it had touched.

Good news is that have got a new retainer and fitted it and it runs like a dream, seems as though more power than all the time I have had it even though I checked the clearances 9 months ago.

Thanks again Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts