Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,

Got on my baby to go to work today and the speedo is waaaaaayyy out reading 3mph about 20 and 7mph at 70ish .

Was raining the night before , my mate said it might be water in the connector .

Anyone else had a problem like this ?

·
Registered
402 Posts
very common problem dingle, you'll need the little ring sensor that goes into the front hub, its shagged!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
hinkley's probably right, but if you have some contact cleaner, it wouldn't hurt to pull the connector and shoot some in there. I had a similar issue, and it turned out to be water that had migrated into the connector when I washed the bike...

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
The magnet in the pickup eventually deteroriates. They seem to last about five years. I went through several of them over the years. Working on connectors and cleaning out and lubing the pickup magnet will only delay the inevitable. The bad thing is that they are not cheap, and if you get a used one, chances are it will go bad pretty quickly.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mine died and I got a veypor it was only $40 more than the replacement pickup and now I have datalogging and a fuel gauge!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is it reading out more or less than the actual speed?

If more or nothing there's a great probability the wiring is shot. Luckily mine was still under warranty when that happened. My dealer replaced the main wiring loom running from EMU to dash. Only downside was my dealer provided me with a S3 to get around while my S4 was in the shop........
My relationship with the S4 didn't last very long. Major plus on that is I got a S3 now!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It,s reading a lot less than it should do

6 mph at 40 mph

8 mph at 80 mph

I,ll give the connector a clean and let you guys know what happens .

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
Take off the front wheel, give the pickup magnet a good cleaning and some light grease, and carefully reassemble it. The two sheet metal prongs have to line up with the slots in the magnet. You might need to "adjust" the prongs a little to make sure they engage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just read it as going 1/10th of your actual speed and live with it... you'll accumulate mileage at 1/10th the rate too.

Then again, what goes around comes around and you better pray you're not on the bike when karma comes back at you for selling the bike with misrepresented mileage.

[ This message was edited by: Smartdrug on 2007-02-22 00:33 ]

·
Registered
28 Posts
take a magic marker......draw a 0 on the right hand side of your speedo. Problem solved :-D - its even right when your stopped!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep it,s the little sensor magnet thingy !

I popped open the connector and gave it a blast of wd40 but no joy .

Anyone know how much these buggers are new ?

And can you get them cheaper off another bike or are they unique to triumph,s ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I,ve been advised to steer clear of a used one , BUT how many miles has it done ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOL talk about karma, got on the bike today, rode into work, and the ***** speedo is losing its little mind.

I looked down, and my normal 70 mph cruise on backroads was reading 35, and when merging or getting onto the freeway, it was jumping back and forth between 45-60. I never did see it get above 60, even when I knew was almost doing triple digits.

Ack...only 17.5k on the clock and a 4 year old bike!

Ill try cleaning it, otherwise....yay for shelling out too much money for a tiny ass part!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't got around to taking the wheel off and cleaning this little swine , but just out of curiosity has anyone got a picture of what it looks like ?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Its that #10, the little ba stard!

168 dollars my ass....Ill deal with getting 3 miles on my odometer every 60 mile round trip to the office.

I will admit though, riding without a speedometer is going to get me in big trouble. It starts playing with your head after awhile :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just ignore it and now i feel so Free !!!!!

well until the dibble catch me !! :razz:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts